2015 Abu Dhabi 12-hour Pirelli test

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
lio007

2015 Abu Dhabi 12-hour Pirelli test

Don't know where to post, but during today's tyre test McLaren did flow-viz-runs...
I thouhgt there is no development work allowed.
https://twitter.com/ChrisMedlandF1/stat ... 9757519872

turbof1

Re: 2015 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, 27-29 November

lio007 wrote:Don't know where to post, but during today's tyre test McLaren did flow-viz-runs...

The flo-viz does not entail a change on the car. It's by all means and purposes paint. An aero rake for instance will be a change in bodywork, so that is not allowed. If they ran legal bodywork pieces during practice, they will be allowed though to put those on.

It's a little bit of a walk with agreements made that the tests will not allow development work. You can't forbid the teams to put on a different paint. They are probably not getting too much out of it; it's purely about collecting data.
#AeroFrodo

lio007

Re: 2015 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, 27-29 November

turbof1 wrote:
lio007 wrote:Don't know where to post, but during today's tyre test McLaren did flow-viz-runs...

The flo-viz does not entail a change on the car. It's by all means and purposes paint. An aero rake for instance will be a change in bodywork, so that is not allowed. If they ran legal bodywork pieces during practice, they will be allowed though to put those on.

It's a little bit of a walk with agreements made that the tests will not allow development work. You can't forbid the teams to put on a different paint. They are probably not getting too much out of it; it's purely about collecting data.
aero rake: here we go https://twitter.com/Albrodpul/status/671573553855242240

turbof1

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

Ok, now I am officially confused myself :lol: . So if anybody could bring more clarity, that would be very much appreciated. I would understand flo-viz since it does not entitle a change to the car, but an aero rake is a different story.
#AeroFrodo

diffuser

turbof1 wrote:Ok, now I am officially confused myself :lol: . So if anybody could bring more clarity, that would be very much appreciated. I would understand flo-viz since it does not entitle a change to the car, but an aero rake is a different story.
I just understood, no new parts. The Aero rake could be for analyzing the wake of the new tires.

f1rules
f1rules

then im sure everyone wanted to test the wake of the new tyres :-)

turbof1

The issue I'm noticing is that the picture with the aero rake clearly shows the red banded super soft, and not the new purple banded ultra soft. I don't know for sure if the other tyres also are being changed.
#AeroFrodo

ME4ME

Re: 2015 Abu Dhabi 12-hour Pirelli test

From Autosport
"We've one shot for next season, and we don't know if it will work the way we want it to, but we are trying to bring back a 'cliff' into it.

"While it may create more pitstops, what we don't know is if it will create any differences in strategy, which is the ideal solution.

"So we're looking at it, and we've a couple of concepts we'll be testing, but it's very hard to get that right with only one test session."

The primary concern for Pirelli is ensuring the ultra-soft tyre works, with four variants overall to be tested as it tries to find the best solution.

"The ultra-soft is the real priority," added Hembery.

"We've four different proposals for the ultra-soft, but it will be completely blind for the teams so they won't know what we are looking at.
So they'll try 4 variants of ultra-softs as well as new chemical material to re-introduce "the cliff" on existing compounds.

stefan_
stefan_

That's always a good sign when you have covered half of the car with flow-vis. Not.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Gaz.
Gaz.

ME4ME wrote:From Autosport
"We've one shot for next season, and we don't know if it will work the way we want it to, but we are trying to bring back a 'cliff' into it.

"While it may create more pitstops, what we don't know is if it will create any differences in strategy, which is the ideal solution.

"So we're looking at it, and we've a couple of concepts we'll be testing, but it's very hard to get that right with only one test session."

The primary concern for Pirelli is ensuring the ultra-soft tyre works, with four variants overall to be tested as it tries to find the best solution.

"The ultra-soft is the real priority," added Hembery.

"We've four different proposals for the ultra-soft, but it will be completely blind for the teams so they won't know what we are looking at.
So they'll try 4 variants of ultra-softs as well as new chemical material to re-introduce "the cliff" on existing compounds.
I just wish Pirelli would stop cocking about and just make the very best tyres they possibly can.
Forza Jules

Joseki
Joseki

McLaren did runs with rakes, flow-viz AND a monkey seat they didn't run during the weekend. :lol:

Could it be that the 2016 Pirelli will have a different shape? #-o

turbof1

Not while stationary. However, the shape changes in function of speed and cornering. The way it does this can be different.
#AeroFrodo

atlantis
atlantis

That is a huge amount of flow-vis! But isn't placed too far to measure aero influence of tires?

damager21
damager21

https://twitter.com/edgarF1_14/status/6 ... 1496515584 That's good number of laps and pace as well for Vandaroone

Joseki
Joseki

Stoffel is always in P1 8)