BBC to lose F1 coverage from 2016

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
OneAlex

Re: BBC to lose F1 coverage from 2016

I feel like Lee McKenzie has been underused at the BBC, and maybe it's just me but I think on the few times she's been given the chance she's done a better presenting job than Suzi Perry; plus the drivers know her well. If I was C4 I'd want to nab her.

Nathanael F1
Nathanael F1

Since the BBC is not broadcasting F1 in 2016, is there a way I can watch F1? I live in the US and have been using the Hola extension on Chrome to watch on BBC iPlayer.
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hülkenberg

RicME85

Pfft. Have been around for ages and work on multiple sources and the info is readily available all over the internet if you search Kodi media player

stefan_
stefan_

I don't have F1 on TV for two years now, but I found ways to watch anyway. If there's a will, there's a way :)
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

stefan_ wrote:I don't have F1 on TV for two years now, but I found ways to watch anyway. If there's a will, there's a way :)
Maybe so, but it was so nice to be able to tune in to BBC HD coverage on a Sunday afternoon. Even the SKY GO coverage wasn't quite HD and wasn't without it's buffering/stuttering issues.

f1316
f1316

I would say that James Allen ought to be top choice for play by play - much more knowledgeable and informative than Edwards - and then I wonder if people like Davidson and Bruno Senna are completely locked into sky? Can they leave if offered a 1st string job? McNish is also more than capable.

C4's football italia and nba coverage back in the day were both extremely innovative and in depth but their more recent sporting output has seemed a bit 't4 does sport' for my liking. Hopefully they'll make the effort with f1 that they used to in the 90's.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Facts Only
Facts Only

f1316 wrote:I would say that James Allen ought to be top choice for play by play
Please please PLEASE NOOOOOOOOOOOO! James Allen actually drove me to stop watching F1 after Murray left. His inane ramblings, faux excitment screeaching and pathetic attempts at insight were actually that offputting.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

ScottB
ScottB

Facts Only wrote:
f1316 wrote:I would say that James Allen ought to be top choice for play by play
Please please PLEASE NOOOOOOOOOOOO! James Allen actually drove me to stop watching F1 after Murray left. His inane ramblings, faux excitment screeaching and pathetic attempts at insight were actually that offputting.
Agreed. I think he's an excellent journalist, or has certainly become once since, but I don't have enjoyable memories of his commentary.

He could be very good as a pundit, I'd imagine...

CHT
CHT

The reason why BBC cut F1 is not because of cutting budget but because they dont anticipate that TV viewers revenue is justifiable for the cost.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

What revenue?

They cut F1 to save money.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

CHT
CHT

Just_a_fan wrote:What revenue?

This is the same as company cutting product lines to save cost. Reason? The product line is not making money, thats why they cut.

SiLo

CHT wrote:

This is the same as company cutting product lines to save cost. Reason? The product line is not making money, thats why they cut.
Half the races going to Sky probably didn't help.
Felipe Baby!

Facts Only
Facts Only

CHT wrote:

The BBC isnt a comercial broadcaster, they get the licence fee no matter how many people are watching. They dont get advertising revenue.

They do make revenue from franchising programmes, merchandise and other stuff but F1 is not included in that as the BBC only had the right to show the races.

So no, they didnt cut F1 because they werent making enough revenue as they always made a total of £0 in revenue from it.

The change in funding whereby they have to subsidise the free Licence to the over 75's (amongst other things) has taken a chunk of money and they have to cut back.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

CHT wrote:

They don't make money from what they broadcast (except where they sell programmes to others e.g. Top Gear). There is no income for the BBC associated with F1 or any other sport.

The BBC pays to show Wimbledon. How much? No idea but ESPN paid £300m in 2011 for 12 years of rights.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis ... -2020.html
The BBC paid £204m for three years of rights to show highlights, yes highlights, of Premiership matches. Oh, and it was the only bidder...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... t-bid.html

The BBC doesn't like F1 because it doesn't fit in with the Corporation's current ideologies. It was an easy "oh let's save some money that is almost the same as the F1 cost, funny that!"
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.