What group collaboration tools do F1 teams use?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
iamagoldfishbowl
iamagoldfishbowl

What group collaboration tools do F1 teams use?

I was wondering what group collaboration tools F1 teams use to make their workers more productive and improve communication and team work?

Do they have forums like this one on their internal networks?
What about tools like Yammer?
Maybe they develop their own and keep them secret?

I want to suggest to my current employers (a software company) some tools that they could bring in to help us collaborate better and my first thought was what do F1 teams do.

krisfx
krisfx

Re: What group collaboration tools do F1 teams use?

I don't work in F1, but in most engineering places it seems that there are a few common ways:
- Using your mouth
- Email
- Meetings
- Phones
- Writing stuff down

These methods are tried and tested and as above, Office 365 has taken large steps to improve quality of collaboration with calendars etc etc. In terms of CAD files, again it's either using some sort of vault system, or just keeping tight control of the way things are filed/who's working on what and when.

markc

Also instant messaging is extremely important for quick comms and therefore collaboration. In fact it's predicted to be a major growth area for 2016, it also has app integration or in many cases started as mobile first and and then desktop integration. There is encryption included as standard with IM platforms, so there's the added security angle too.

I'd be interested to know if F1 teams use version control - I imagine they must do, but what system?

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

For CAD I would say a lot of them are using either Siemens PLM Teamcenter (Red Bull I know for a fact are), or Dassault Enovia. I would be very surprised if anyone were using Autodesk software... just isn't the norm in the industry.