safety regulations

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
roninho
roninho

safety regulations

Hello,
i have some questions on the safety regulations for formula racing. There is always a lot of discussiong on the technical rules, engine power, aero, etc of the different forms of formula racing but i have not found much discussion on how the safety system is regulated.

So i looked a bit online, and Formula 1 is obviously subject to the FIA F1 safety regulations.
GP2, the 2009-2012 & the new F2, World series by Renault and GP3 claim to meet FIA F1 safety regulations (although they differ per serie to which year they apply).
The initial World series by Renault series car (2002 i think) complied to the F3000 regulations, as does the current Autogp car (which is a former f3000 car i think).
Series like F3, F4 and the defunct Formula Palmer comply to Fia F3 regulations.

So some of my questions:
[*] Which different levels of safety regulations are currently set? Is it F1 and F3 regulations? Since F3000 obviously being over 10 years old safety regulations and GP2/WSR/F2 comply to F1 regulations and not new FIA regulations for that level?
[*] I assume that complying to F1 safety regulations mean that all f1 safety test have been passed by the car. Is that correct, or is only partially comply to the regulations also possible?
[*]What determines which safety regulation applies for a class? I would say that speed and horsepower would be a factor, but that didnt explain the difference between Formula Palmer and GP3. Because Formula Palmer had in p2p 120 hp more compared to most powerfull F3 car (or 150%) and a topspeed that is ~30 kph higher then a F3 car. And it complied with F3 safety. On the other hand the initial GP3 car, which had 30 hp more then F3 but was also 80 kg heavier was made to F1 safety standards.
[*] Does complying to safety regulations still apply if you change the engine for a more powerfull one? For example GP3 went from a 280 hp car to a 400 hp engine in 2013 in the same chassis. If you put a F1 engine (so 850 hpish) in that chassis, would it still comply to the safety issues (regardles if the power unit would fit or not ;-) )? So what i am getting at is does the safety tests just look at how much impact the chassis can handle or also at how fast/powerfull the cars are?

Any help is appreciated,

Ron