New qualifying format...

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Fulcrum
Fulcrum

Re: New qualifying format...

As I proposed in another thread, if qualifying is such a difficult thing to decide then lets do away with it.

Saturday sprint race; half distance, half points, grid determined by reverse Championship order.

Sunday main race; full distance, full points, grid determined by finishing order of the Sprint race.

More racing, better for promoters and viewers alike.

FW17

Sounds very expensive

Big Mangalhit

For me the best idea so far is the one lap shootout in Q3 for the top 8 cars. Then the q1 and q2 could be 2015 or 2016 format, I think both are fine for those Q.
The Q3 that way would make me glued to the screen to see every car do a fast lap and to hold my breath if my favourite driver/team will make a mistake, the order of the laps could be decided by the order of q2. The timing to leave the pits could be calculated so every time a car would cross a finish line the next one would be a few seconds behind to start its lap (never too close so he doesn't get towed).

Thunder

turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Bernie and Todt should go.

PTRACER
PTRACER

When a new change doesn't work, suddenly everyone has their own ideas over what would be great, when in reality returning to a previous system is all we need. 60 minute qualifying sessions worked great for decades, and the top 10 shootout worked nearly as well. I don't need to see F1 go through the changes they went through a decade ago when they tried four different types of qualifying over two seasons.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

PTRACER wrote:When a new change doesn't work, suddenly everyone has their own ideas over what would be great, when in reality returning to a previous system is all we need. 60 minute qualifying sessions worked great for decades, and the top 10 shootout worked nearly as well. I don't need to see F1 go through the changes they went through a decade ago when they tried four different types of qualifying over two seasons.
When people sense an opportunity for change, or discussion, they voice their opinion.

dans79

Fulcrum wrote: When people sense an opportunity for change, or discussion, they voice their opinion.
Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should do something.
197 104 103 7

PTRACER
PTRACER

There doesn't need to be a discussion. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The 60-minute qualifying was "broken" because we'd see 45 minutes of Minardis and Jordans driving around, and 15 minutes of Ferraris and McLarens. The Top Ten Shootout was broken because...er...why was it broken again? Because the fastest driver in qualifying set the fastest time, and the second fastest driver set the second fastest time, and Bernie didn't like that? It's the FIA that's broken, not the old quali.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

dans79 wrote:
Fulcrum wrote: When people sense an opportunity for change, or discussion, they voice their opinion.
Generally I don't come to F1Technical for Buddhist quotes, but I'll bear that in mind the next time I have an unexpressed thought.

GPR-A duplicate2

F1 set to revert to 2015 qualifying format
F1 is set to revert to the 2015 qualifying format from the Chinese Grand Prix after the FIA and Bernie Ecclestone agreed to a request from teams, Motorsport.com has learned.

After an intense day of political intrigue, a breakthrough to solve the farce surrounding qualifying has finally been made.

Sources have revealed that following a letter from all teams requesting F1 immediately goes back to the 2015 system, it was decided by the FIA that there was no point in pursuing other options.

F1 teams had been expected to vote on a new aggregate idea on Thursday, but the situation took a dramatic twist when it emerged that they had written to the sport's chiefs.

In the letter from all 11 teams to the FIA, Bernie Ecclestone and Jean Todt they made clear that they were only interested in reverting to the 2015 format.

In light of that unanimous stance, it became clear that the FIA had a choice of either standing firm and leaving the sport unable to change elimination qualifying, or agreeing to what the teams wanted.

In the end sources suggest that following discussions between Jean Todt and Bernie Ecclestone, it was agreed that the only sensible solution would be to go back to the 2015 rules.

An official process will now begin for the rule changes to be put through the F1 Strategy Group and F1 Commission, so the changes can be ratified by the FIA's World Motor Sport Council.

This should be able to get completed before the Chinese GP.

continuum16

"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

Thunder

I don't believe anything until Q3 is over next Saturday..... We had similar Headlines after Melbourne.
#aerogollum

dans79

Fulcrum wrote:
dans79 wrote:
Generally I don't come to F1Technical for Buddhist quotes, but I'll bear that in mind the next time I have an unexpressed thought.
My comment wasn't about you, but the talking heads in F1 wanting the change stuff for no good reason!
197 104 103 7

Thunder

So i guess it's kind of officially looked at....

http://www.fia.com/news/fia-and-fom-sta ... um=twitter
At the unanimous request of the teams in a letter received today, Jean Todt, President of the FIA, and Bernie Ecclestone, commercial rights holder representative, accepted, in the interests of the Championship, to submit a proposal to the F1 Commission and World Motor Sport Council to revert to the qualifying format in force in 2015.

This proposal, if approved by the F1 governing bodies, will take effect as from the Chinese Grand Prix and will apply for the rest of the season.

Jean Todt and Bernie Ecclestone welcomed the idea put forward by the teams to have a global assessment of the format of the weekend for 2017.
#aerogollum