F1 Commission on 2016 Qualifying & 2017 Aero Rules

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ESPImperium
ESPImperium

F1 Commission on 2016 Qualifying & 2017 Aero Rules

F1 teams agree elimination style qualifying for 2016

By: Jonathan Noble, Formula 1 Editor

Formula 1 teams have agreed to the introduction of a radical elimination style qualifying format as part of a move to improve the show.

After hours of discussion in Geneva between team bosses and F1 chiefs regarding future ideas, sources have revealed that some proposals gained support. One of them is for an elimination style of qualifying, where the slowest car at certain segments is eliminated.

Although details of the new qualifying format have not been set in stone, sources have revealed that an outline agreement is in place for the system. The rule change idea still need approval by the FIA's World Motor Sport Council next month, but it is understood that the plan is to have it come in as early as this year. However, the process would still need looking at in detail by sporting directors - which could expose previously unforeseen problems that make it unworkable.

How it works

Q1

-16 minutes duration;
- After 7 minutes, the slowest driver is eliminated;
- Slowest driver eliminated every 1 minute 30 seconds thereafter until the chequered flag;
- 7 drivers eliminated, 15 progress to Q2.

Q2

- 15 minutes duration;
- After 6 minutes, slowest driver eliminated;
- Slowest driver eliminated every 1 minute 30 seconds thereafter until the chequered flag;
- 7 drivers eliminated, 8 progress to Q3.

Q3

- 14 minutes;
- After 5 minutes, slowest driver eliminated;
- 2 drivers left in final 1 minute 30 seconds.

Time ballast

The F1 Commission also discussed a penalty system whereby extra time is added to each drivers' qualifying time on the basis of championship positions. A study was conducted using the 2015 Abu Dhabi GP with the championship leader having four seconds added to his qualifying time, with everyone else taking extra time on a sliding scale. It is understood that this could have been combined with the elimination system, but it is not believed to have gathered the necessary support.

Bodywork delay

Teams have also agreed to delay a final decision on 2017 bodywork rules until April 30, as teams chase a rules solution that will deliver a much-desired speed improvement. Also discussed was the potential abandonment of the 100kgs fuel limit from 2017 on the basis that the faster cars will require more fuel to run at their fuel potential. McLaren and Red Bull were reportedly in favour of such a move, but it was not passed. The more likely compromise will be a 105kgs limit.
I think its great, however its a halfway house to where id like to go for the race as well. Id like to limit the fuel to 200kg for Qualifying and the race. However, id also reintroduce refuelling in the race for a single refuelling stop if a driver/team so wishes to do so. With it id limit the tank size to 120kg, and that the top 8 drivers need to put in their race fuel for Q3, and what is left needs to be taken through to the race, like the 2008/2009 rules. Then 4 hours after quail the FIA release the weights for the top 8. If a driver wants to refuel with what fuel they have left, they can do so in a fuel only stop that can only be taken after 50% of the race distance but not in the last 10 laps of the race.

That means for Spa it would be a 12 lap window for fuel stops, for Hungary it would mean a 20 lap window.

Im not trying to make the racing artificial I'm trying to make the racing a bit more unpredictable and if that means there is a more strategic element and a slightly more unpredictable element with the new tyre rules. It would mean that the whole weekend needs to be watched for the race strategies to be understood and for the whole race to make sense.

As for the bodywork rules, id have opened up enough in the aero side to make them faster, kept enough of a carry over from this present chassis regulation, probably make the rear wing wider to 2008 width but 2009-2016 height and reintroduce the beam wing with a standardised central section. Then at the front id raise the nose by 35mm at the tip, and allow the front wing and allow the front wing to go to 2000mm wide again. As for the tyres, is make the front 245mm wide from 300mm wide and make the rears 400mm wide and not the present 325mm wide. Id also increase the rim size to 15 inches from the present 13 inches, as for diameter, id increase the front and rear diameter by 5mm on each. Basically give enough aero back to make things interesting, but id also make enough tyre improvements in order to increase the mechanical grip and make the balance of the car a lot better between aero/mechanical/power unit. Id also do something in order to limit the software side of things as to stop the top teams having secret tools/maps to manage the engine, id limit make the engine side of things where every software map for each car for manufacturer teams and customer teams has to be the same with only one upgrade allowed when a new engine specification is done.

I think F1 with good enough management can be one hell of a close and a great sport to watch.

Juzh

Re: F1 Commission on 2016 Qualifying & 2017 Aero Rules

Sorry, but no fuel balls out qually is far superior to race fuel qually type. Why would you be in favour of mickey mouse system of the past? At least we get some sense of what cars are capable of at their best. As if the current weight wasn't enough already.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

The proposed qualifying is an attempt to shake up the grids. It'll happen, of course, but only when a driver gets held up in traffic and fails to set a quick lap. Smacks of yet more silliness trying to engineer on track excitement.

Let's just have balls-out qualifying and free-for-all race fuel and tyres. Have tyres that can be pushed hard too. Then we'll have cars being driven hard for 90 minutes with no fuel and tyre saving. May not be anymore overtaking but there will be errors and failures and tense chases/pushing the guy ahead to get an error etc.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

OneAlex

The new quali format sounds like it could be a good idea if people were just on one set of amazing tyres going round and round as fast as possible for the full time limit.

As it is doesn't it have the potential to make qualifying a quieter affair? If you need fresh tyres so have to come into the pits/already are in the pits and it takes longer than 1 minute 30 to get round to even start a flying lap if you're at or near the bottom of the pack surely you're not even going to bother going out?

Also it seems to eliminate the slower cars quicker, so there's less chance of a last minute grid shake-up of a Toro Rosso (for example) suddenly pulling an amazing lap out at the end and jumping up to 4th, or a Ferrari splitting the Mercedes, because they will have already be out and off the circuit.

Maybe I'm missing something but at the moment I just don't buy it.

ScottB
ScottB

Isn't there a danger that this new setup is simply going to spread tyre management and fuel saving into quali, as well as the race?

Take the final pole shootout, the drivers aren't going to be able to go out on these ultra softs and pound round flat out for 16 minutes, so surely it would be inevitable that we will see them trying to save enough tyre throughout the session that they can retain enough performance for the pole shootout?

I suppose we could have an interesting strategic approach of the cars thinking they'll be around P10 going flat out on the first lap, likely wrecking their tires in the process, but hoping it gets them ahead of cars trying to manage performance?

Dann
Dann

ringo

As for next year's rules, here's Hamilton's take:

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/148 ... -gearboxes
For Sure!!

godlameroso

Just the tires and diffuser changes should be all that's needed to gain 2.5 odd seconds at the very least. Keep the fuel, make the tires bullet proof until the under tread layer. I don't like making the cars even heavier, they're already bordering LMP1 weights. Keep the cars the size they're at now, wider cars are just harder to pass. The wings are very sensitive to other cars, the diffuser isn't as sensitive, improve downforce there and cars will be able to follow more closely.
Saishū kōnā

tranquility2k4
tranquility2k4

I've seen that the new tech regs for 2017 are based on a McLaren proposal, which is said to be a half-way house between what we have now and what Red Bull were proposing.

I've been trying to find the details of what Red Bull wanted and can't. Is anyone able to break it down in simple terms what are the main differences between the chosen McLaren regs and the Red Bull proposal regs?

thanks.

GM7

Hello everyone,
I would like to know your opinion about all the changements that i would like to see in the 2017 season. I based my proposition on the regulation adopted Tuesday, February the 23th.

Top view :

Back view :

Side view :

Front view :

Show and performances :
As you can see the tyres and the car are larger to improve the mecanical grip. To improve the overtakes and the look of the cars, the rear wing is more larger but much thiner. To improve the downforce but do not interfere with other cars, the diffusor is much larger and highter.

Safety :
To improve safety without using the "Halo", I found an alternative solution. The concept is simple, the side protection of the cockpit are elevated to the top of the driver's helmet, the driver's visor is consolidated and two vertical poles (250-300 mm) are disguised as mirrors. The cables holding the wheels are also strengthened.

Total weight estimation : 720-730 Kg

Thanks for your opinion and sorry for my poor english.