Closed Cockpits agreed for 2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
superdowg316

Closed Cockpits agreed for 2017

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/its-of ... happening/

Don't know about how legit it is, but if it is, what's your take? Like? Hate? Does this ruin the concept of open wheel racing, or is this another sign of the times and closed cockpits are the future?
Friendship with Honda ended, Renault is my new (and more reliable) friend.

FrukostScones

Re: Closed Cockpits agreed for 2017

I'm not completely against more safety features but this kneejerk thing still baffles me...

(Bianchi death plays a role I guess, but that thing would not have saved him)

FIA? are they testing, evaluating, analysing, trading off pros and cons?

Or do they just bolt on some steel pipe rim (5cm)with V-strut over the cockpit and done.

Like they will do (no elegant halo in 2017)!

RIP F1 look! forever.

AMUS: 10 Kilo tractor solution

https://translate.google.de/translate?s ... t=&act=url
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

OneAlex

I think the site is using a slightly sensationalist headline, as the halo - which I wouldn't consider a closed cockpit any more than a role hoop - is currently much more likely than a proper closed cockpit.

Personally though I'm okay with a fully closed cockpit. Formula 1 to me doesn't necessarily have to mean "open wheel racing", to me it's more about "the most advanced/prestigious racing". It's about state of the art technology being raced in exotic/historic locations with top brands. Open top racing is cooler, yes, but if a cockpit makes things that much safer I'd rather have it.

Besides, I'd much rather watch this racing around Monaco:

Than this:

To me the lower nose requirement (hello submarining) was much more knee-jerk and ill-thought-out.

Jolle
Jolle

OneAlex wrote:I think the site is using a slightly sensationalist headline, as the halo - which I wouldn't consider a closed cockpit any more than a role hoop - is currently much more likely than a proper closed cockpit.

Personally though I'm okay with a fully closed cockpit. Formula 1 to me doesn't necessarily have to mean "open wheel racing", to me it's more about "the most advanced/prestigious racing". It's about state of the art technology being raced in exotic/historic locations with top brands. Open top racing is cooler, yes, but if a cockpit makes things that much safer I'd rather have it.

Besides, I'd much rather watch this racing around Monaco:

https://d37nk263jfz2p8.cloudfront.net/i ... f85723.jpg

Than this:

http://media.crash.net/original/PAPhoto4srl_566677.jpg

To me the lower nose requirement (hello submarining) was much more knee-jerk and ill-thought-out.
I think concept studies like the MP4X and some other i see around the internet isn't a fair representation what a closed formula would look like. Those are made to look pretty, not to be raced. If you give the designers a bit of room, before you know it you'll have Catherham kind of solutions to the closed cockpit rules.

Gerhardsa

Sevach
Sevach

Ferrari running a halo today.

stefan_
stefan_

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Ferrari testing the halo concept.

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

FW17

That looks horrible

namao
namao

Yes, looks horrible.

I prefer this one:

Last edited by namao on 03 Mar 2016, 10:33, edited 1 time in total.

Thunder

Imho it really doesn't look that bad. We'll get used to it. I would still Prefer a full blown Canopy but this'll do.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

proteus

That blind spot infront of the driver is just brilliant. I bet some hardcore engineer proposed that, probably someone who doesnt even drive a normal car...
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

eyalynf1
eyalynf1

I don't actually care what it looks like. These people shouldn't die for my entertainment.

oetger

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

I think it looks fine. There won't be any massive issues with 'blind spots' as its right in between the two eyes meaning that you 'see through it'. In actual fact the right eye and left eye create a composite that gives you the whole picture rather than there being any kind of X ray vision! It might be distracting at first but nowhere near as distracting as a tyre in the face at 180mph

Sevach
Sevach

Honestly, canopy or bust, the halo is just awful looking and doesn't protect the head well enough.