Closed Cockpits agreed for 2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Scuderia1967

Re: Closed Cockpits agreed for 2017

Jolle wrote:Pierre Gasly stated on a Dutch website that from the cockpit he was pleasantly surprised that the halo didn't have any effect on the driving.

(Removed the T from mr Gasly's name)
Why? Gastly, even without the "h", was so fitting, looking at the guy's "talent" :D

Jolle
Jolle

Scuderia1967 wrote:
Jolle wrote:Pierre Gasly stated on a Dutch website that from the cockpit he was pleasantly surprised that the halo didn't have any effect on the driving.

Why? Gastly, even without the "h", was so fitting, looking at the guy's "talent" :D
Yes yes yes, everybody not driving a red car is not talented.

Scuderia1967

Jolle wrote:
Scuderia1967 wrote:

Yes yes yes, everybody not driving a red car is not talented.
There are plenty of young talents racing in minor formulas. Gasly is simply not one of them, as his performances in GP2 clearly show

Thunder

But he has two Eyes and sees where he is supposed to drive. And the Halo didn't distract him much. No need to be Michael Schumacher to determine if visibility is severly hindered or not. :roll:
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

Thunders wrote:But he has two Eyes and sees where he is supposed to drive. And the Halo didn't distract him much. No need to be Michael Schumacher to determine if visibility is severly hindered or not. :roll:
Thank you for bringing some rationality back to the thread.

Andres125sx

Manoah2u wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:aeroshied, provided there is no avoiding on this device becoming installed, is imho the only way to go. canopies at this point are simply too dangerous.
Simply too dangerous?
Can you point me to some dangerous situation in LMP1, DTM, WTCC or WEC?

People talk like if closed cockpits would be new to racing cars and we´d need to figure out posible unintended consequences #-o

I´ve seen several situations were open cockpits were VERY dangerous, Alonso Spa12, Kimi Silverstone14?, Massa with the spring, Wheldom death, De Villota death....

Can you point me to any death caused by closed cockpits? You´ve stated they´re simply too dangerous, so if open cockpits caused two deaths and several close calls only in past 5 seasons, I guess if you said closed cockpits are too dangerous they must have caused several deaths and a lot more dangerous situations, haven´t they?

Can you provide examples proving they´re more dangerous than open cockpits or it was just bashing something you don´t like?
can you stop the harassmant? seriously.

i have explained it clearly in the post.
So no, you cannot point to any dangerous situation caused by closed cockpits in past seasons...

We´re discussing about closed cockpits, if you don´t like it it´s ok, but please, don´t try to convice people that´s a new solution wich will bring unintended consequences, closed cockpits have been used in racing cars for many decades. And LMP1 cars and F1 are not that different, their closed cockpit could be used in F1 with minor changes

The only valid point (IMO) you pointed is the cost, but since FIA didn´t care about swithing from v8 to v6T hybrid in this same crisis period, I don´t think a closed cockpit woult be a concern for anyone as it would be a small fraction of that cost

Sorry if you don´t like it but this is called discusing, not harassmet, and that´s exactly the point of discussion forums like this one

Tim.Wright

Closed cockpits work quite well if you have side doors.
Not the engineer at Force India

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Andres125sx wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:Simply too dangerous?
Can you point me to some dangerous situation in LMP1, DTM, WTCC or WEC?

People talk like if closed cockpits would be new to racing cars and we´d need to figure out posible unintended consequences #-o

I´ve seen several situations were open cockpits were VERY dangerous, Alonso Spa12, Kimi Silverstone14?, Massa with the spring, Wheldom death, De Villota death....

Can you point me to any death caused by closed cockpits? You´ve stated they´re simply too dangerous, so if open cockpits caused two deaths and several close calls only in past 5 seasons, I guess if you said closed cockpits are too dangerous they must have caused several deaths and a lot more dangerous situations, haven´t they?

Can you provide examples proving they´re more dangerous than open cockpits or it was just bashing something you don´t like?
can you stop the harassmant? seriously.

i have explained it clearly in the post.
So no, you cannot point to any dangerous situation caused by closed cockpits in past seasons...
wrong, me dont bothering with your provokations doesnt mean i havent adressed it above. read and weep.
We´re discussing about closed cockpits, if you don´t like it it´s ok, but please, don´t try to convice people that´s a new solution wich will bring unintended consequences, closed cockpits have been used in racing cars for many decades. And LMP1 cars and F1 are not that different, their closed cockpit could be used in F1 with minor changes
since when is your opinion king?
minor changes? get informed, seriously.
The only valid point (IMO) you pointed is the cost, but since FIA didn´t care about swithing from v8 to v6T hybrid in this same crisis period, I don´t think a closed cockpit woult be a concern for anyone as it would be a small fraction of that cost
you have zero idea of the full implications of such a device and the total redesign of f1 cars just when we gat a redesign 2017 era. again, your the one lacking insight and knowledge.

[quote[
Sorry if you don´t like it but this is called discusing, not harassmet, and that´s exactly the point of discussion forums like this one[/quote]

its not discussing when you want the world only to see things your way.
the point of discussion is bringing valuable things to the table. that you cant comprehend this does not mean the discussion should not exist.
the harassment is your intended provokation and stance upon posts due to the fact you have had past thought patterns about mister verstappen. i dont know why that has caused you to seek out arguing instead of discussing.

this world is not about you, perhaps you should understand that. i have not responded fully onto your previous provocations because i dont feel the need to lower myself into worthless battle because somebody doesnt think the same and cant handle somebody not agreeing to their points.

end.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Andres125sx

Manoah2u wrote:since when is your opinion king?
It has never been but it´s funny to read this from you when I was only replying something you said wich made me think exactly that
Manoah2u wrote:canopies at this point are simply too dangerous.
If you want you can ignore everything I said, but please, tell me what was your motivation to say this, or what facts, accidents, incidents or whatever made you think canopies are too dangerous, because that was my only motivation to reply
Manoah2u wrote:
you have zero idea of the full implications of such a device and the total redesign of f1 cars just when we gat a redesign 2017 era. again, your the one lacking insight and knowledge.
And that´s exactly the reason 2017 would have been the perfect season to introduce closed cockpits, the cars are redesigned anycase so changing the cockpit at this point would have been less costly than if they introduce it any other season
Manoah2u wrote:its not discussing when you want the world only to see things your way.
That has never been my intention. My english is good enough to be an active member here, but it´s not good enough to master how to say things. That probably can cause some misunderstanding when someone think I´m aserting things when I´m only wondering about an idea. It has happened before, sorry my mistake, but please try to read my replies ignoring how I say things, if I´m rough or arrogant that´s far from my intention, specially on a forum like F1T where I´m not even on the average knowledge wise
Manoah2u wrote:the harassment is your intended provokation
Even when my english is far from perfect and I can make several mistakes per post, I can´t understand where did you get something I said as a provokation :?: If that´s the case sorry, but please quote it
Manoah2u wrote:the harassment is your intended provokation and stance upon posts due to the fact you have had past thought patterns about mister verstappen. i dont know why that has caused you to seek out arguing instead of discussing
This again? Then maybe, and I´m only exposing a posibility, might be posible that you don´t read my posts like you read any other´s posts because you still think I don´t like Max and for that reason I´m provoking you?

I´m not sure what can I say to convice you I have no problems with Max or yourself as I´ve tried it several times but you still insist on the same :(

Sorry for the OT part moderators, I´m only trying to avoid future misuderstandings. This is my last one anycase

ergenomic
ergenomic

Here is a POV perspective of Travis Pastrana on his bike at his home compound. Other than it being a pretty cool video, there is a cage that he has around his bike to protect him. I have not seen this type of cage before. The really interesting part is the POV camera showing what it looks like to drive the bike with the cage.

If Travis can ride a bike with a cage, you would think that driving a car with a cage (halo) is feasible. Obviously this is apples to oranges, but interesting nonetheless.

https://www.facebook.com/redbull/videos ... 791510352/

krisfx
krisfx

ergenomic wrote:Here is a POV perspective of Travis Pastrana on his bike at his home compound. Other than it being a pretty cool video, there is a cage that he has around his bike to protect him. I have not seen this type of cage before. The really interesting part is the POV camera showing what it looks like to drive the bike with the cage.

If Travis can ride a bike with a cage, you would think that driving a car with a cage (halo) is feasible. Obviously this is apples to oranges, but interesting nonetheless.

https://www.facebook.com/redbull/videos ... 791510352/
It's his friend who was apparently paralyzed, and uses the cage for support so he can still ride according to the comments.

ergenomic
ergenomic

I am at work and could not have the sound on.

krisfx
krisfx

ergenomic wrote:I am at work and could not have the sound on.
Same, it was in the comments :lol:

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Tim.Wright wrote:Closed cockpits work quite well if you have side doors.

A couple of WW2 fighter aircraft ( Hawker Typhoon & Bell P-39) - were notable for having cockpit side 'car' doors..

The Typhoon was significantly improved by deleting this set-up in favour of a 'blown bubble' clear view canopy,
featuring minimal obstruction to operator vision, & which formed the standard of the type - still current today.
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

domh245
domh245

Tobi Gruener now reporting that Halo is not going to be on the cars in 2017 (amongst other news)

https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/758701987269578752