When will ALO leave McLaren?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Poll ended at 17 Mar 2016, 23:07

Right after GP of Australia
2%
after GP of Spain
No votes
after the GP of Canada
2%
after the GP of Hungary/Germany/Spa when "rogue" PU iteration didn't work out well
3%
after the 2016 F1 season
33%
after 2017 testing
4%
after 2017 GP of Australia
1%
ALO will fullfil his contract till the end of 2017 at McLaren
56%

Total votes: 124

FrukostScones

First of all I 'm a big fan of Ron Dennis (though he seems to be a very strange weirdo, but a very successful one), and I wish the McLaren team would be at least as successful like in 2012 this year. And I also think McLaren and Prodromu are definitley capable of building a contender. So I'm not a McLaren hater! I feel for them.
The thing is.. I still think the Honda PU is an weak unreliable dud of epic proportions, and testing didn't convince me of the slightest opposite.
If you have watched the vids on youtube and seen the drivablilty of this thing... it is not good (and read ScottB on autosport forums trackside assessment)... also various offs thorugh the gravel of ALO and BUT were reported. The first races of the 2016 will be nearly as painful as last season, that is my opinion. Maybe a bit more reliable the PU will be , but also only because in that detuned state.

For Melbourne I think they will become last or only beat Manor (if they can finish the race at all.)

And I think ALO will cook off pretty soon then.

Don't hate me. Vote! for Bernie!

If I'm wrong I will be happy that BUT's and ALO's old days are not completely wasted.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

dans79

Re: When will ALO leave McLaren?

FrukostScones wrote:First of all I 'm a big fan of Ron Dennis (though he seems to be a very strange weirdo, but a very successful one), and I wish the McLaren team would be at least as successful like in 2012 this year.
The issue they've had for a while (even in 2012), is correlation. I can't remember where I saw it, but even in 2012 Lowe mentioned the car was significantly faster on track than their simulations showed. They should have been better in 2013 when they had a 60% wind tunnel, but they have gotten worse.
197 104 103 7

DiogoBrand

dans79 wrote: The issue they've had for a while (even in 2012), is correlation. I can't remember where I saw it, but even in 2012 Lowe mentioned the car was significantly faster on track than their simulations showed. They should have been better in 2013 when they had a 60% wind tunnel, but they have gotten worse.
It's pretty much the same problem Virgin had with their 'only CFD' development philosophy. When you insist on investing in concepts that only work in theory, you'll most likely throw a lot of time, effort and funds into the bin.

wickedz50
wickedz50

Alonso will leave Mclaren when there is a suitable opportunity available. If I have to believe that there is one more title in the distance left for him then I feel the turn of events will land him in that Merc car pretty soon. Once Lewis loses the title to Nico /or Vettel (if at all that happens) there will be an opening at Merc. Thats Alonso's best and last chance. Mclaren Honda not becoming championship material any time soon. Thats too long for Alonso. Is he willing to invest a similar time with Mclaren as he did with Ferrari?
Mclaren Honda for 2016 will not be as bad as it was in 2015. Regular points and lucky podium will be there. Will Alonso be satisfied? will his spirits and motivation persist.

Finally my take 2017 if any better opportunity evolves.

hemichromis
hemichromis

Alonso said that he would move to Mercedes if a seat became available.

It's hard to believe anyone would refuse that offer!

marvin78
marvin78

"Ferrari is my last team"
"McLaren is my last team"

(F. Alonso)

But for the best car, he will sell himself. That's clear. But why should Mercedes do that? It's pretty clear that Alonso is not the best teamworker. But Mercedes likes teamwork. You don't need the best driver in this Monster-Car to win both titles.

Gerhardsa

If Lewis makes it 3 in a Row at Merc, what are the chances Rosberg would say "Enough is enough". At some stage he must start to feel that (note : IF Lewis beats him to the title again) he is not going to win the championship in the same car as Lewis, will he bail out of Merc?

I can only see Lewis moving to Ferrari if he was unhappy at Merc, nobody else is realistically going to give him a shot at the title, so I doubt he will move easily.

Alonso getting into a Merc is totally dependant on a Merc inter team explosion resulting in Hamilton losing the championship and leaving, or Nico accepting that he is not able to beat Lewis over a season and leaves for another team.

Jolle
Jolle

This is a difficult one. I think ALO is one of the best drivers but... he's not in a bad position right now. Just think of it, he's got one of the biggest salaries in F1, almost no obligations towards sponsors (because McLaren has almost none) and because McLaren is so far back, he doesn't have to wring the last few kg's out of his body. Everything is perfect except he isn't winning races.

Then there is the problem of where to go, there are four teams at the moment that could, budget wise, win races (and one that might in a few years): Mercedes, Ferrari, RedBull, McLaren and Renault.
McLaren he is in now, doesn't work yet, Ferrari he's been, didn't work for him, RedBull does;t seem te take drivers from outside their own program and Mercedes has Hamilton and I assume they are looking at a younger driver to replace Rosberg anytime soon to be the new number one if Hamilton retires (somebody like WER, VES or RIC). So, that leaves Renault. Again. And they are running a 2015 frankenstein at the moment and I don't think they are willing to pay ALO the same kind of money as McLaren does at the moment.

The radio messages last season (GP2 engine and some more like that), it sounded to me that he was trying to get fired. To and get out of his contract and keep all of his money.

He's a bit out of options.

I asume he will be trying to get out of his contract by he end of 2016 and move to Renault for something like 10m dollars a year.

Vasconia

According to English newpapers and magazines who really hate Alonso, tomorrow or better, yesterday. :roll:

superdowg316

At the moment Nico's contract runs out at the end of the year so we'll just have to see how things pan out between him and Lewis.

Let's be real though. Alonso is not going to be a Mercedes driver ever. And that's not because he's not talented. He'll be 35 in July and that's too old for a long term contract and Merc's position dictates there's no point in a short term contract. Things are different when they hired the 41 year old Michael Schumacher. They lost a lot of staff because Brawn GP was running out of budget and they needed to rebuild. Now they're on top of the world, why bring in a guy like Alonso when they can bring in future talent like Bottas and Ricciardo that are going to be around much longer and have a great chance of being a viable long term investment?

Remember that's 'if' Nico were to leave. That would mean three (four?) time champion Lewis Hamilton would be the second driver's teammate. And if he was a smart, cunning racer, he would choose a teammate himself, one that wouldn't be close in beating him. And he'll get his way as well, because Mercedes are paying him a lot of money to have him drive for them and he has choices to go anywhere if Mercedes don't play his game.

Alonso will more than likely stay with McLaren until the end of 2017 and go off and race Porsche's in WEC as Webber's teammate and win a couple of championships to add to his impressive CV. May even go do the Indianapolis 500 and try to get the triple crown, he has the talent and will to do it if he wishes. But he ain't going to Mercedes ever.
Friendship with Honda ended, Renault is my new (and more reliable) friend.

Facts Only
Facts Only

Vasconia wrote:According to English newpapers and magazines who really hate Alonso, tomorrow or better, yesterday. :roll:
That makes no sense, anyone who hates Alonso would want him to stay at McLaren.

I can understand the comments about "newspapers", they are all idiot rags (all over the world), but magazines? I have never ready anything against Alonso in Autosport (regular reader) or Mag's like Motorsport (occasional reader). Sounds like you are just looking for a bogeyman.

Personally I think its a loss for F1 that Alonso's talent is being wasted, his 2012 season was the best season of driving I have seen by any driver in any car in my lifetime. I'm not a "fan" of anyone but I was absolutely gutted for him after Brazil 2012 nobody could have done anymore in that car in 2012, his first lap drives that year were just unbelievable.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

namao
namao

It's simple. If McLaren Honda isn't in the top 3 in 2017, he'll leave at the end of the season and "hello WEC".

Vasconia

Facts Only wrote:
Vasconia wrote:According to English newpapers and magazines who really hate Alonso, tomorrow or better, yesterday. :roll:
That makes no sense, anyone who hates Alonso would want him to stay at McLaren.

I can understand the comments about "newspapers", they are all idiot rags (all over the world), but magazines? I have never ready anything against Alonso in Autosport (regular reader) or Mag's like Motorsport (occasional reader). Sounds like you are just looking for a bogeyman.

Personally I think its a loss for F1 that Alonso's talent is being wasted, his 2012 season was the best season of driving I have seen by any driver in any car in my lifetime. I'm not a "fan" of anyone but I was absolutely gutted for him after Brazil 2012 nobody could have done anymore in that car in 2012, his first lap drives that year were just unbelievable.
Take it easy, lets erase the word "magazines" and we will agree. I dont control from where all the rumours come so if no magazine has said a word a about it, better.

I agree with your newspapers related comment. Here are truly sh*tty.

I have never liked Alonso but I think that he truly deserves a third title. 2012 should have been the year but... its not too late yet!.

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

Unfortunately Alonso has a habit of going to what WAS the best car; the McLaren stint after Renault being the exception. Took a 'gap year' out of desperation back at Renault, only to move to Ferrari who were in decline. Then a switch to McLaren, also in decline, but sold on the promise of revolution and having burned his bridges at Ferrari.

True to form, he'll switch to Mercedes just as their competitive advantage evaporates.