What fans want

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
bucker
bucker

What fans want

I was never more bored watching F1 than today. Drivers were getting out of the car 5 min before end, that is just not acceptable for high ratings. Actually F1 is in general extremely boring and complicated. So here are my suggestions how to make F1 interesting and what fans actually care about.

TYRES:
-dry
-intermediate
- wet

That is it. No soft, ultrasoft, medium and confusion how to use them in quali and race. One dry tyre that can last the whole race and that is it. So simple.

QUALI:
-2015 Q format is ok so no changes here. Nothing bad about it.

RACE:
-no refueling
-no tyres change
-racing hard
-new tyres for race
-not allowed to save material :D

CARS:
-no DRS
-less aero
-more ground effect
-more mechanical grip

Every driver is saying that those cars aren't fun to drive, because they have to much aero. Also hard to follow behind other driver. Something not fun to drive is also not fun to watch. Let's make cars for drivers to push hard the whole race, no tyres saving, no fake DRS overtaking. I would rather watch the whole race of wheel to wheel action and one overtake, than hundreds fake DRS overtakes. Build them cars in which they can race hard and not save material!!!!

For me 2005 season was one of the most interesting to watch.....just saying :D

wesley123
wesley123

Re: What fans want

2005 has shown how great it is to ban tire change in the race
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

bucker wrote: -less aero
-more ground effect
-more mechanical grip

Every driver is saying that those cars aren't fun to drive, because they have to much aero. Also hard to follow behind other driver.
Ground effect is aero so you appear to be confused there.

Drivers say it's boring because the cars are too easy to drive because they don't get to push hard. Nothing to do with "too much aero". Indeed, "aero" is what makes them amazing to drive because they're so fast in the corners. It's fuel and tyre saving that the drivers hate.

Hard to follow is a problem, yes.

When you open with "what fans want" you should say "what this fan wants". The problem we have is a few people who keep saying " fans want" when they have no idea what the majority of fans actually want.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

wesley123 wrote:2005 has shown how great it is to ban tire change in the race
Indeed. It basically shot Bridgestone, and thus Ferrari, in the ass. It was as contrived a way to change the running order as any of the things done in recent years.

wesley123
wesley123

Just_a_fan wrote: The problem we have is a few people who keep saying " fans want" when they have no idea what the majority of fans actually want.
Those fans don't even know what they want themselves.

-no tyres change
-racing hard
This is pretty contradicting by itself. As for not to change tires, you need to not race hard. And to make the tires last so long that they can "race hard" you'll sacrifice a large part of mechanical grip. It is one or the other, you can't have all three.
-no DRS
-less aero
-more ground effect
-more mechanical grip
This all contradict each other. More ground effect means more aero, so unless you'll cut the whole aero part down outside of the ground effect, but then you just introduce really dangerous ground effects.

The more mechanical grip contradicts making the tires last for a whole race. Together with the fact that you'll only have that single compound(as per suggestion) you'll basically have tires that last over 300km to do a single qualifying lap.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

gridwalker
gridwalker

This particular fan wants the FIA to stop messing with the rules every year (including changing the number of things that teams are allowed to develop) and allowing rule stability for long enough for the field to close. Eventually diminishing returns will kick in and we will get better racing.

Knee-jerk rule changes are the problem, not the solution.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

krisfx
krisfx

F1 needs to stop the teams defining the rules (afaik it's the only "sport" to do so) and also remove the idiots from the top.

Until then, the fans who are still left just have to make do with what we have, which is a farcical pantomime ran by clueless morons and money men looking to milk it dry.

Facts Only
Facts Only

All 'fans' want is for 'their team' to win so about 90% of them will be unhappy whatever the rules are.

The fact that most of the proposals in the first post completely contradict each other shows exactly why fans shouldn't be making the rules.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Something is very wrong with the Pirelli tyres. The super soft offered no significant advantage over the medium tyre, yet it wears out much much quicker. Also, this whole "tyres degrade to make the racing more exciting" doesn't work, because as soon as a driver feel the tyres are about to "fall of the cliff" the pitt immediately and we don't get an on track battle.

There needs to be a much bigger performance advantage between the compounds. Also, dump the restrictions on sets of tyres per driver.

Unlimited tyres, and access to all compounds for the weekend.

bhall II
bhall II

Facts Only wrote:All 'fans' want is for 'their team' to win so about 90% of them will be unhappy whatever the rules are.

The fact that most of the proposals in the first post completely contradict each other shows exactly why fans shouldn't be making the rules.
Though I generally agree with both statements, I'd still like to see the sport be a bit more deferential to its fans' sensibilities. As it is now, it's not uncommon for F1's attitudes to stand in stark opposition. For instance, it was frustrating to see F1 leaders largely dismiss the results of two recent fan surveys. Despite several popular inconsistencies contained therein, the data collected paints a very clear picture overall, and it's one that doesn't look much like the sport's current direction.

As for what this fan wants: I want F1's top brass to stop lying to me. The frequent and self-serving excuses offered for why something should or shouldn't happen are so transparent it insults my intelligence that they seem to think they can say anything and that I'll be none the wiser to the deception.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

One problem is that the "common fan" is not on Bernie's radar. Remember comments about young fans are not his target market because they don't have spending power? With that sort of attitude, all he wants is rich people who use F1 as a background to their power-broking deals. If FOM (the rights holders don't forget) don't care about large groups of the fans, what is the point?

bhall II
bhall II

That sort of rent-seeking behavior can't go on forever, though. If the sport continues to hemorrhage fans, its sponsors and partners will eventually turn their attention elsewhere, because ad buys and logos are worthless if no one sees them.

void

I don't care about Qualify, for me F-1 can return to 1 hour format with 4 tires sets, and 12 laps per driver.
I just want Nicko trying to overtake Lewis every single lap and vice versa. I want competition. I want overtakes. I want innovation.
I don't care if is only one team is winning, but i care if they two drivers are enemies on the track, fighting each other to win.
This is what I want.