Daniel Ricciardo's contract

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Senna77
Senna77

Re: Daniel Ricciardo's contract

alexx_88 wrote:Alonso's seat was not even a possibility before summer break, so it's very puzzling how you can think that one of the most competitive drivers in F1 would sabotage himself just to have a tiny chance at getting into the Ferrari.

You're also not explaining why, after triggering the performance clause after Monza, he didn't just start wiping the floor with Ricciardo. It's much more plausible that Vettel was beaten fair and square.
Very well said Alex.

justmoi
justmoi

No offense either way guys. But the notion that Seb (reigning and 4 time WDC) would not drive to his potential to get out of his contract, and indeed do so the entire season is one of the most outlandish nonsense I have read on internet forums, of which many abound. I'm really sorry but that is just fantasist rubbish. The kind that makes you cringe when you read it. It doesn't even matter when Seb would have known he was going to Ferrari. I couldn't believe when I read it that that's even being debated.

AND that he did so whilst ordering four new chassis to counter arguments of not trying hard enough by lawyers (and citing this as a sign of Seb's 'intelligence')... I mean... come on guys, jeez

It is total and utter crock.

There is a reason no team principal, commentator or journalist (even the most outlandish conspiracy ones) has even suggested that nonsense. Only on our forums... smh
Last edited by justmoi on 06 Apr 2016, 08:48, edited 2 times in total.

justmoi
justmoi

In fact I would add that whoever suggests such a thing does himself no favours and completely discredits every argument they make.

It simply is just poor form... and reasoning.

SR71

oh, DM said something in public, it must be true.

Sorry. You totally proved me wrong.

if we're takin what's said to the media as absolut truths, vettel has been recently saying his talks with Ferrari beginning in 2013 must be truths as well.

Also Luca D was instrumental in bringing in Seb - isn't that funny how Luca wasn't around when Alonso was fired, I mean left.

Interesting.

Side note, red bull has a stable of talent, losing one of them would be no big deal to someone like Dietrich, especially him being a grown up and realizing things change and people move on. Maybe Seb underperformed with DMs blessing, none of us know.

SR71

Senna77 wrote:
alexx_88 wrote:Alonso's seat was not even a possibility before summer break, so it's very puzzling how you can think that one of the most competitive drivers in F1 would sabotage himself just to have a tiny chance at getting into the Ferrari.

You're also not explaining why, after triggering the performance clause after Monza, he didn't just start wiping the floor with Ricciardo. It's much more plausible that Vettel was beaten fair and square.
Very well said Alex.
Do you guys honestly think reported news timelines align with timelines of reality?

a simple yes or no will quickly explain a lot.

SR71

justmoi wrote:No offense either way guys. But the notion that Seb (reigning and 4 time WDC) would not drive to his potential to get out of his contract, and indeed do so the entire season is one of the most outlandish nonsense I have read on internet forums, of which many abound. I'm really sorry but that is just fantasist rubbish. The kind that makes you cringe when you read it. It doesn't even matter when Seb would have known he was going to Ferrari. I couldn't believe when I read it that that's even being debated.

AND that he did so whilst ordering four new chassis to counter arguments of not trying hard enough by lawyers (and citing this as a sign of Seb's 'intelligence')... I mean... come on guys, jeez

There is a reason no team principal, commentator or journalist (even the most outlandish conspiracy ones) has even suggested that nonsense. Only on our forums... smh

Truth is often far stranger than fiction. Many people have simple minds and this is why complex and outlandish things often happen without understanding.

it would be impossible to prove and no journalist is going to hang their career on a story like that without hard evidence.

Seb is one of the smarted people on the grid, maybe the smarted driver, citing his intelligence is par for course.

And honestly, it doesn't really matter so what would be the point of reporting on it. I don't care, but it's hilarious to see the perfect storm that Seb took advantage of.

New regulations - every driver now and then struggles with a regulation change, who can blame him ;-)

New teammate - DR was an unknown quantity, had he under performed like that against Webber the haters would have had a field day. Of course DR was going to be flattered by his Newey chassis (he's only won in a newey car remember) but 3 gifted wins in a newey car don't mean that much right? Let's not forget Seb beat his teammate the following year - DR did not. All in all, Seb knew his reputation would come out unscathed with a little perspective. 1.3 years on we have that perspective, Seb is a top notch driver and DR still hasn't won again.

Renault failure - I know you find this hard to believe but red bull, including Seb, would have had early knowledge of what a pile of *{%# the Renault PU was. Winter testing was no surprise to them. Seb may have known this as early as spring 2013 because the PU was well into development at that point.

No WDC hope - with the above knowledge and having just secured 4 WDC in a row AND having a baby, soft peddling for a season makes sense.

Luca + kimi, two important sources inside Ferrari and Luca actively talking to Seb throughout 2013 - sebs own words.

50 million dollars AND Ferrari drive for as long as you can imagine - you wouldn't soft pedal a season after winning 4 WDC and Knowing your car is going to be fighting at the back of the grid for 50 million dollars and a Ferrari drive? You're a liar if you say no.

30+ million for another 3 years - did I mention you're also number one at Ferrari and can probably have that seat for a decade if you continue to perform?

But yeah, prolly just all coincidence and Seb was trying super hard in 2014. :-)

Also, why do sebs own words not matter? He said talks started in 2013.

SR71

Do you know for a fact that NOBODY on the planet knew that Alonso was in exit mode before summer break?

Yes or no?

Senna77
Senna77

justmoi wrote:No offense either way guys. But the notion that Seb (reigning and 4 time WDC) would not drive to his potential to get out of his contract, and indeed do so the entire season is one of the most outlandish nonsense I have read on internet forums, of which many abound. I'm really sorry but that is just fantasist rubbish. The kind that makes you cringe when you read it. It doesn't even matter when Seb would have known he was going to Ferrari. I couldn't believe when I read it that that's even being debated.

Very well said. Unfortunately SR71 ignores all logic and reasoning and will have another 100 excuses ready to go. Next he will tell us Vettel drove slowly all year because he had a baby. Oh wait, oops he just did. :lol: :lol: :lol:

justmoi
justmoi

SR71 wrote:

Truth is often far stranger than fiction. Many people have simple minds and this is why complex and outlandish things often happen without understanding.

it would be impossible to prove and no journalist is going to hang their career on a story like that without hard evidence.

Seb is one of the smarted people on the grid, maybe the smarted driver, citing his intelligence is par for course.

And honestly, it doesn't really matter so what would be the point of reporting on it. I don't care, but it's hilarious to see the perfect storm that Seb took advantage of.

New regulations - every driver now and then struggles with a regulation change, who can blame him ;-)

New teammate - DR was an unknown quantity, had he under performed like that against Webber the haters would have had a field day. Of course DR was going to be flattered by his Newey chassis (he's only won in a newey car remember) but 3 gifted wins in a newey car don't mean that much right? Let's not forget Seb beat his teammate the following year - DR did not. All in all, Seb knew his reputation would come out unscathed with a little perspective. 1.3 years on we have that perspective, Seb is a top notch driver and DR still hasn't won again.

Renault failure - I know you find this hard to believe but red bull, including Seb, would have had early knowledge of what a pile of *{%# the Renault PU was. Winter testing was no surprise to them. Seb may have known this as early as spring 2013 because the PU was well into development at that point.

No WDC hope - with the above knowledge and having just secured 4 WDC in a row AND having a baby, soft peddling for a season makes sense.

Luca + kimi, two important sources inside Ferrari and Luca actively talking to Seb throughout 2013 - sebs own words.

50 million dollars AND Ferrari drive for as long as you can imagine - you wouldn't soft pedal a season after winning 4 WDC and Knowing your car is going to be fighting at the back of the grid for 50 million dollars and a Ferrari drive? You're a liar if you say no.

30+ million for another 3 years - did I mention you're also number one at Ferrari and can probably have that seat for a decade if you continue to perform?

But yeah, prolly just all coincidence and Seb was trying super hard in 2014. :-)

Also, why do sebs own words not matter? He said talks started in 2013.
Sorry mate the only thing I'm getting from your posting is the way you 'reason'.

Not really interested. I'll let you carry on. I think you deserve to have this conversation. By yourself

bdr529

SR71 wrote: Vettel knew he was going to Ferrari at the end of 2013.
How did you know this ?

turbof1

My my, things are getting clever: a driver fanboy discussion wrapped in a shiny and innocent looking contract topic! I'd be impressed if not for the drive comparison/fanboy parts woven in.

Let's keep it about the contract and the contract only. No need to involve other drivers. If this continues to go on, the thread will be closed.
#AeroFrodo

SR71

In relation to Daniels number one contract status at red bull, the reason he is number 1 is because vettel left.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117921

turbof1

It is still speculation about no. 1 status, and will lead to further driver-related bickering down the road, so I'm not going to allow that either. Unless you can:

a) Show a copy of the contract specifically stating such a clause

or

b) Show an article of a person directly involved to be literally quoted to say that clause exists for Ricciardo in the present.

I think it's better to focus back on the quite neutral question the topic starter asked:
Does anyone know anything about his contract?

He has plenty of interest from other teams and as I understood it he had signed a 2 year contract in 2014 to cover 2015/16

Now Helmut Marko is saying he is still under a "long-term" contract.

Any ideas?
As someone pointed out, a clause might handle that. However, as far as I know the contract extension was signed in 2014 when Red Bull was aware of its performance deficit. One should be very careful to assume Ricciardo enjoys the same clause as Vettel did (no, referring to the latter is not an excuse to start driver performance comparisons again!).

Now, if Ricciardo signed a 2 year a contract, and Marko refers to a long-term contract, what you might face is a typical 2+1 contract, with 2 years under contract and 1 year optionally if certain clauses get activated. That's the most probable situation I believe, however it's also unclear if the clause can be activated one-sided or if both parties have to agree.
#AeroFrodo

jato
jato

turbof1 wrote:It is still speculation about no. 1 status, and will lead to further driver-related bickering down the road, so I'm not going to allow that either. Unless you can:

a) Show a copy of the contract specifically stating such a clause

or

b) Show an article of a person directly involved to be literally quoted to say that clause exists for Ricciardo in the present.

I think it's better to focus back on the quite neutral question the topic starter asked:
Does anyone know anything about his contract?

He has plenty of interest from other teams and as I understood it he had signed a 2 year contract in 2014 to cover 2015/16

Now Helmut Marko is saying he is still under a "long-term" contract.

Any ideas?
As someone pointed out, a clause might handle that. However, as far as I know the contract extension was signed in 2014 when Red Bull was aware of its performance deficit. One should be very careful to assume Ricciardo enjoys the same clause as Vettel did (no, referring to the latter is not an excuse to start driver performance comparisons again!).

Now, if Ricciardo signed a 2 year a contract, and Marko refers to a long-term contract, what you might face is a typical 2+1 contract, with 2 years under contract and 1 year optionally if certain clauses get activated. That's the most probable situation I believe, however it's also unclear if the clause can be activated one-sided or if both parties have to agree.
Marko has already come out earlier this year I think to specifically say that Ricciardo doesn't have the same clause that Vettel did and we can probably rule that out as a way for Ricciardo to get out of this contract.

I think there Ricciardo signed an extension on his contract last year from instead of ending 16' it went all the way to 18'? Hence why Ricciardo/Horner/Marko has pretty much said no to the Ferrari rumours because his contract is hard to get out of.

Ricciardo made mention in the Aus press conference right near the end of his banter with Seb, Marko mentioned previously that along with the performance clause that Ricciardo's contract is watertight and Christian has made similar noises.

Source: http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns33341.html
Source thurs press conference: http://www.grandprix.com/race/r936thupc.html

The only way we'd see Ricciardo in a Merc or Ferrari next year is if either of them buy out the remainder of his contract for next season or he underperforms to such an extent that RBR would rather get rid of him than Kvyat at the end of the season.

Though why would Ricciardo move to Ferrari though if Renault improve their PU to the point the car ends up being as good as the Ferrari?

Geiger3000
Geiger3000

I must say that every type of speculation on this thread is nonsense or biased. People seem to ignore that Kvyat won Ricciardo in points 2015. Also Sky pundits have been stating this year that Vettels debut year in red was the best we have witnessed. What the hell? Raikkonen won drivers championship on his debut year in ferrari. So, without taking any sides, people seem to remember what they want. You can think what you want, but statistics are what they are... and in the end results are all that matters. Alonso is 2-time drivers championship winner and in my eyes he is a mediocre driver with money on his side. Most overrated driver in history. But... my opinion does not matter. It is what it is. Ricciardo seems to be ok, but he lost to his team-mate last year and Seb is a 4-time drivers championship winner, so there is no contest really.