Daniel Ricciardo's contract

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Senna77
Senna77

Re: Daniel Ricciardo's contract

Geiger3000 wrote:I must say that every type of speculation on this thread is nonsense or biased. People seem to ignore that Kvyat won Ricciardo in points 2015. Also Sky pundits have been stating this year that Vettels debut year in red was the best we have witnessed. What the hell? Raikkonen won drivers championship on his debut year in ferrari. So, without taking any sides, people seem to remember what they want. You can think what you want, but statistics are what they are... and in the end results are all that matters. Alonso is 2-time drivers championship winner and in my eyes he is a mediocre driver with money on his side. Most overrated driver in history. But... my opinion does not matter. It is what it is. Ricciardo seems to be ok, but he lost to his team-mate last year and Seb is a 4-time drivers championship winner, so there is no contest really.
Did you actually watch the 2014 and 2015 season? Be honest? or did you just check wikipedia for end of year results?
I will repost my earlier post.......

There were only 13 races were both cars finished without mechanical issues. Out of these 13 races it was 7 Ricciardo 6 Kyvatt.
Ricciardo scored 81 points and Kyvatt 62 points in these races.

Ricciardo had way more mechanical retirements which were not his fault in 2015

Ricciardo had way more grid penalties compromising races for engine changes in 2015,

If you do not consider the fact the final 2 races Ricciardo was given an upgraded turbo that did not work properly without the rest of the changes and actually gave him less power and was a step back in power than Kyvatt's engine in the final 2 races which was confirmed by Horner, Ricciardo took 1 of for the team so they can develop the engine.

Ricciardo pitted and was behind Kyvatt in Monaco and would have easily passed him with faster tyres 3 seconds a lap quicker. But instead the team made Kyvatt move over and not race at all and then asked Ricciardo to give the spot back later on. Instead of acting like Verstappen Ricciardo instantly complied which was very unfair in hindsight but he is a team player. The team did not want to risk Kyvatt racing or overdefending and causing an accident which in effect cost Ricciardo 4 points to Kyvatt in this race alone.

Also consider Hamilton smashed Ricciardo in Hungary and got a penalty which in turn caused major aero damage to his car in Hungary costing him the win. Then Rosberg smashed Ricciardo and both brundle on sky f1 and Coultard on BBC clearly blamed Rosberg who mysteriously never got a penalty for this. Costing Ricciardo a win as he was on much fresher tyres and lapping seconds quicker than any1 out there.

Also in Japan Massa on the start got a terrible start and instead of staying to the left swerves to the middle Grosjean style puncturing Ricciardos tyre which by the time he made it to the pitts was almost an entire lap down. 100% Massa's fault causing a grosjean type move yet no penalty. Very black and white mistake which meant no points possible for Ricciardo in Japan.

So yes if you do not actually watch any of the races all year and just check the end of year 2015 F1 scoreboard and noticed Kyvatt was 3 points ahead of Ricciardo then you are 100% correct. Kyvatt beat Ricciardo

But if you consider the fact Ricciardo had

1. An inferior engine to Kyvatt for the 2 final races
2. Was told to move over for Kyvatt with no chance to race him in Monaco robbing him of points
3. More mechanical failures
4. More grid spot starting penalties
5. Smashed by other drivers not his fault and had 2 races ruined losing points.
6. Had no major accidents on track in clear air damaging the car where Kyvatt had 2 accidents in clear air. 1 massive 1 in japan and 1 huge hit of the wall in USA.
7. Ricciardo overall won the qualifying battle of 2015

And count out the 13 races both cars finished it was 7 Ricciardo 6 Kyvatt.
Ricciardo scored 81 points and Kyvatt 62 points in these races both cars finished.

You will realise clear as day Ricciardo had a much stronger year than Kyvatt overall in 2015

Kyvatt is still young so let's see what he can do in 2016.

graham.reeds
graham.reeds

This is not about whether or not Ricciardo is better than X. It is about when his contract expires. Until DR creates an account and posts a scan of his contract and both Helmut and Horner both jointly post "WTF?!" can we please close this thread?

hemichromis
hemichromis

Geiger3000 wrote:I must say that every type of speculation on this thread is nonsense or biased. People seem to ignore that Kvyat won Ricciardo in points 2015. Also Sky pundits have been stating this year that Vettels debut year in red was the best we have witnessed. What the hell? Raikkonen won drivers championship on his debut year in ferrari. So, without taking any sides, people seem to remember what they want. You can think what you want, but statistics are what they are... and in the end results are all that matters. Alonso is 2-time drivers championship winner and in my eyes he is a mediocre driver with money on his side. Most overrated driver in history. But... my opinion does not matter. It is what it is. Ricciardo seems to be ok, but he lost to his team-mate last year and Seb is a 4-time drivers championship winner, so there is no contest really.
Alonso? Mediocre?

Who then is a good driver and who is a great one?

turbof1

Hey look guys, this came from the previous page:
turbof1 wrote:My my, things are getting clever: a driver fanboy discussion wrapped in a shiny and innocent looking contract topic! I'd be impressed if not for the drive comparison/fanboy parts woven in.

Let's keep it about the contract and the contract only. No need to involve other drivers. If this continues to go on, the thread will be closed.
I gave the topic a shot, but if even none-performance driver threads have to be turned into fanboyism, I'll have to put a stop to it. Closed.
#AeroFrodo