Add weight to faster cars

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
saturn13
saturn13

Add weight to faster cars

I would like F1 to add weight to the cars to equalize performance. I have never heard or seen this mentioned, so it must not work. The cars are at minimum weight so no one would be hurt for designing lite. It is easy to see the difference in lap times with low fuel and full. My guess is that everyone likes to see the team that is able to win every race should be rewarded. I would like to see it tried. No one else would. Maybe Bernie.

digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

Re: Add weight to faster cars

I have never been a fan of penalizing teams/cars who are faster. It's a competition. It's not kindergarden or something where 'no child will be left behind'.

marvin78
marvin78

I think there are enough artificial things in F1. We don't need more.

hurril
hurril

What would be the point? The perfect equalization would be giving them all first place after every race. That way they're all equally good!

sgth0mas
sgth0mas

saturn13 wrote:I would like F1 to add weight to the cars to equalize performance. I have never heard or seen this mentioned, so it must not work. The cars are at minimum weight so no one would be hurt for designing lite. It is easy to see the difference in lap times with low fuel and full. My guess is that everyone likes to see the team that is able to win every race should be rewarded. I would like to see it tried. No one else would. Maybe Bernie.
The weight would defeat the purpose of it being a formula based series and not a spec series. I will say spec series are fun to watch, but there are already a lot of them in the market. NASCAR, INDY...etc

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

scuderiafan

I share Scones' sentiments.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

piast9
piast9

There is no sense in penalizing a team that did better job. It is better to loosen the restrictions to allow development and the others will catch up.

Jolle
Jolle

Penalizing faster cars creates a show instead of a sport. Simple.

saturn13
saturn13

Cat and Mouse is ok ? Mercedes slowed down and their lead at Bahrain went from 10 sec. to 2. OK to say no use going all out, saving the engine. Just being prudent and smart. Part of racing. They could invert the field or top 10. Bernie wants to mix up the field. That would do it. Knock out qualifying has not changed anything. If they want to do it that way, go ahead. The teams adjust and the same people are on top. F1 my favorite form of racing. At least a lot of strategy and nice scenery. Unlike NASCAR round and round, my least favorite and very boring. I wish NASCAR would go to mostly road racing, like Indycar did.

Pierce89

sgth0mas wrote:
saturn13 wrote:I would like F1 to add weight to the cars to equalize performance. I have never heard or seen this mentioned, so it must not work. The cars are at minimum weight so no one would be hurt for designing lite. It is easy to see the difference in lap times with low fuel and full. My guess is that everyone likes to see the team that is able to win every race should be rewarded. I would like to see it tried. No one else would. Maybe Bernie.
The weight would defeat the purpose of it being a formula based series and not a spec series. I will say spec series are fun to watch, but there are already a lot of them in the market. NASCAR, INDY...etc
Uhhmm.. neither of the two you mentitled are spec series. In fact, in NASCAR. Everything is hand-built and two "identical" cars handle differently.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

sgth0mas
sgth0mas

Pierce89 wrote:
sgth0mas wrote:
Uhhmm.. neither of the two you mentitled are spec series. In fact, in NASCAR. Everything is hand-built and two "identical" cars handle differently.
Go ahead and define Spec series for me...then tell me where it mentions the handling of identical cars. Even in kart racing the handling may be different between chassis.

I'm a fan of nascar road racing and enjoy watching it...but there is no room for expansive creativity like there is in formula 1 racing. That makes the racing closer and better, but the cars less interesting. Almost every aspect of design and performance is dictated by specs in nascar.

Indycar is a spec series in the literal sense. Meaning the definition of spec series.

Maybe it will make you feel better if i say those leagues are not open formula?

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

Add the weight to the driver by making him eat an 'equalization meal' before the start. If he's too sick to drive, even better!

Jokes aside, your proposal would probably result in closer racing; don't expect it to be popular on this forum though.

I for one wouldn't be against such a rule; or reversed grids for that matter. Complaining that its artificial is a bit weird considering the entire Formula is artificial and contrived anyway. The fact that it doesn't reward the best teams is great. Part of the problem facing F1 is the lack of competitiveness throughout the grid, as a result of the Haves having more and more.

Big teams receive positive reinforcement from so many sources. They have more say in the rules, control over the engines, control most of the equity coming from Bernie, get more exposure on the broadcasts, generally can command the best drivers, have better pull for advertisers, etc...

The gap from front to back is too great to surmount without some form of assistance somewhere, whether its contrived rules, more equitable distribution of the revenue, or both. I would assume more people on this forum would find a monetary solution more palatable, but good luck getting that sorted considering the financial kickbacks for Ferrari.

Pierce89

sgth0mas wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:
sgth0mas wrote:
Go ahead and define Spec series for me...then tell me where it mentions the handling of identical cars. Even in kart racing the handling may be different between chassis.

I'm a fan of nascar road racing and enjoy watching it...but there is no room for expansive creativity like there is in formula 1 racing. That makes the racing closer and better, but the cars less interesting. Almost every aspect of design and performance is dictated by specs in nascar.

Indycar is a spec series in the literal sense. Meaning the definition of spec series.

Maybe it will make you feel better if i say those leagues are not open formula?
Dude seriously, a series with four different engines of the same size and configuration and several teams building their own cars from the ground up but all on a control tire, NASCAR has more similarity to f1 than any series in the world.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Just no.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM