Silly Season 2016/2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
WaikeCU

Re: Silly Season 2016/2017

dren wrote:Rosberg is probably shopping for the best deal, I don't see him leaving Mercedes unless he wants to get away from Hamilton.

I don't think Ferrari was ever interested in Verstappen. They have historically picked experienced drivers. They have Vettel. I would expect them to either renew Raikkonen or pick an experienced individual like Grossjean, Perez, Heidfeld, or Rosberg. I'd pick Rosberg out of that bunch.
You are kidding me right? :shock:

Couldn't make an impact with Lotus, why would Ferrari want him now?

f1316
f1316

Some fun silly season stuff here:

http://www.skysports.com/f1/live-blog/1 ... sip-column

I'd love to see an Alonso/Hamilton pt II pairing at Mercedes and Rosberg v Vettel would be a fun one too.

I don't believe for a second it's going to happen - we're not that lucky - but here's hoping :)

PlatinumZealot

Rosberg is a "day one" at Mercedes and it is his home. He has no desire to go anywhere else if Mercedes is the fastest car. After he wins his championship this year, he will see how 2017 goes before he thinks of moving.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

A day one?

you do know he drove for Williams, before?

Besides, people seem to forget one simple thing. 'He has no desire' to move elsewhere does not mean he isn't gonna get the boot. Kvyat didn't want to go elsewhere, but if the big bosses want you out, you're out. They can media-politically-correct facade a show where they say 'Rosberg is our priority' but that does not mean they're actually fully honest about it.
If Mercedes have decided he has to go - based upon information you and I aren't ever able to gather - then it's over.

Rosberg is not going to get this championship, unless Hamilton bails the team.

Even IF he would win the championship, which is a big IF, he is still not one of the really 'big boys' to decide as he pleases. Remember Damon Hill? He got his WDC, but still had to leave Williams, and ended up nowhere. Rosberg is a B-driver. not an A-driver like Hamilton, Alonso, Schumacher, Vettel, Raikkonen, etc.

It was pretty interesting that Toto Wolff was 'fast' to more or less point the finger indirectly towards Rosberg. Hell, for all we know he could very well be 100% at fault - remember, we don't get all the data - and knowing it too, but they'll silence it to the media especially since they were hoping for and politically well done have gotten a 'racing incident' instead of a 'penalty' which would have seen Hamilton get a 10-place grid penalty, and that's without the actual penalty he might have recived IF the stewards decided he was at fault. Likewise, i wonder what they would have decided to punish Rosberg with had he been found guilty. A grid penalty for the next race could be potential.
Something Mercedes would definately NOT want to see @ Monaco.

I think Mercedes delibaretely went to 'talk' about the incident 'in private' but very very very very much 'showing' they went to 'talk'.
The entire staff immediately into the 'birdsnest'? All together, but one by one walking in in full camera view? I think it's rather odd they didn't all walk in at once.
The race was over for them either way, so there was no reason either one of them was so 'busy' they had to walk in a bit later.

If i'm critical, I think the way they handled the incident in plain sight was a political and entertainment move, above all to avoid getting into the news negatively.
And they succeeded perfectly well.

Rosberg's comments after the race were interesting, too. He did not show any sign of feeling guilty or being atleast part of the problem, which data proves without
single doubt he was atleast PART to blame for the incident.

anyway,

one thing I think is very interesting to keep in mind about Rosberg is that sky reported during the race he supposedly had a new contract for 2017, AND several reports
state Mercedes boss(es) said he had, but the team itself claims that they're actually not there yet. Otherwise, they could never say that Alonso is an option. Even more,
why would the rumours about Rosberg going to Ferrari (BS) even be there if he actually is contracted to Mercedes. But then, how can this discussion even exist? either
way, what happened at sunday doesn't help Rosberg (or Merc for that matter).

Let's go real crazy and silly. Let's go tin foil hat here. What if what's actually happening is crashgate2.0 spygate2.0 and contractgate1.0 ?
What if rosberg delibaretly hammered into Hamilton? what would he gain from that?
Could Rosberg already been sacked by Mercedes? or Could Rosberg already have a Ferrari contract?
What if the rumours about the Mercedes driver Hamilton taking a sabbatical actually be Rosberg taking a Sabattical?
What if Ferrari is very interested in having Mercedes data through Rosberg? Remember spygate?
Could there be more to the story?

ok enough sensationalism. Just wanna put it out there to see where this will go.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Chuckjr

Hill is a good comparison as he also was the inheritor of a very fast car and this also explains why his career tanked after he left. He simply was in a dominant car. Nicos situation is the same in that sense.

A Fred and Lewis matching... those two guys respect each other unlike Lewis and Nico. Certainly there would be tension between Fred and Lewis but it would be delivered in a respectful way--meaning I don't see those guys driving each other off the road intentionally. I do see that behavior continuing with Lewis and Nico though because they don't respect each other. I know many may disagree but I honestly think Fred and Lewis would appreciate the matching because they would finally have someone to compare their speed with that is worthy to compare against. Both are totally unintimidated by the other. Racers respect a skill set match, and now that each is entering the later phases of his career, and both have already won championships, I really believe they would behave differently. Just my two cents.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Chene_Mostert

Chuckjr wrote:Hill is a good comparison as he also was the inheritor of a very fast car and this also explains why his career tanked after he left. He simply was in a dominant car. Nicos situation is the same in that sense.

A Fred and Lewis matching... those two guys respect each other unlike Lewis and Nico. Certainly there would be tension between Fred and Lewis but it would be delivered in a respectful way--meaning I don't see those guys driving each other off the road intentionally. I do see that behavior continuing with Lewis and Nico though because they don't respect each other. I know many may disagree but I honestly think Fred and Lewis would appreciate the matching because they would finally have someone to compare their speed with that is worthy to compare against. Both are totally unintimidated by the other. Racers respect a skill set match, and now that each is entering the later phases of his career, and both have already won championships, I really believe they would behave differently. Just my two cents.

Hill is a good comparison as he also was the inheritor of a very fast car and this also explains why his career tanked after he left. He simply was in a dominant car. Lewis' situation is the same in that sense
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

Chuckjr

I feel badly for Lewis in that he has always had the good fortune to be driving on a top team. I don't envy this because it degrades accomplishments because they are entitled. The last two years driving an unbeatable car has not helped his career record as it's hard to respect titles when they are coronations.

Regardless, I'm gathering Lewis would relish the chance to fight Fred on equal terms. How else is he going to generate long term career respect from everyone and not just his fanboys? Certainly not by driving a ridiculously fast car. Beating arguably the best currently? Now that's something to be proud of.
Watching F1 since 1986.

GPR-A duplicate2

Chuckjr wrote:I feel badly for Lewis in that he has always had the good fortune to be driving on a top team. I don't envy this because it degrades accomplishments because they are entitled. The last two years driving an unbeatable car has not helped his career record as it's hard to respect titles when they are coronations.
So, let's be clear. This applies to Senna in McLaren 88/91, Prost in McLaren 89, Williams 93, Mansell in Williams 92, Damon Hill in Williams 96, Schumacher 2002/04, Vettel in Red Bull 11/13. Right?
Chuckjr wrote:Regardless, I'm gathering Lewis would relish the chance to fight Fred on equal terms. How else is he going to generate long term career respect from everyone and not just his fanboys? Certainly not by driving a ridiculously fast car. Beating arguably the best currently? Now that's something to be proud of.
Lewis' haters doesn't like him, doesn't automatically mean the world doesn't respect him. I am sure he would be perfectly OK to miss the respect from short sighted haters.

"Difference between genius and stupidity is that, genius has it's limits"

Chuckjr

I don't think it's so black and white but to each his own - I certainly don't think there's only Lewis heaters and fan boys. I think a lot of people simply don't care either way. I'm of that type. Impress me and I'll respect you as a driver. Drive a 1.5 second faster car to a championship that even Robald McDobald could win in, and most will offer a yawn, not applause.

Did you miss the fact the comparison of who is the better driver applies equally as much to Lewis as it does Alonso? Both have equal opportunity to impress the fan base. Beat the other guy and I think either driver will be even more respected. I don't understand how this is an issue.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Sonador
Sonador

Vasconia wrote:
iotar__ wrote:
Sonador wrote:I agree that the timing of this statement is very odd, so i guess that they had enough of Rosberg ...
...enough of Rosberg and Mercedes winning everything ;-)?
Because no team wants a driver who can make poles and win races and be as fast as Hamilton... :mrgreen:

Its only pure marketing to get a better deal. If Hamilton "may" have problems with Nico, what could happen with Max or Fernando? I guess the only option which could be possible would be Ricciardo.
:D

Ricciardo vs Hamilton should be a very good battle.
Both are insane fast over 1 lap ....

Hamilton vs Alonso should also cause some sparks, to me they are the greatest drivers of this moment.

Would Mercedes consider someone like Button? And go for a number 1 and 2 driver?
Instead of 2 number one's, i think Button is Williams bound btw.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Button won't go to Mercedes, he left there. He's been there a long time when it was BAR, Honda, then Brawn, and then left to Mclaren when it became Mercedes.
He had some great performances @ Mclaren and proved a worthy driver for Mclaren and proved a good game to Hamilton where others thought he'd be squashed.

Too bad Mclaren is in such a shamefull state. Him going to Williams is for the better performancewise, and I think he'll do 'good' at Williams, but he won't be having
a GP winning car in that, and to be honest, am doubtfull why he'd continue in another stint of 'not being there' where he wants and quite frankly, should be.
I personally think Button could only have a decent career ending @ Ferrari, but i'm very doubtfull whether Ferrari will have him. A couple years ago, maybe. possibly.
but that ship has sailed, me thinks.

the point about respecting one and another is a good one.
Rosberg doesn't respect Lewis, and Lewis clearly doesnt respect Nico.
Hitting some knees here probably but i'm wondering whether Lewis' former 'friendship with Nico was really all that honest.
Im curious about his comments 'Nico the richboy' whom had it all perhaps could be an image of envy, jalousy and bitterness.
It doesn't really matter though, there is no respect, and i think their friendship is forever gone.

But i'm weary whether a Nando-Luis combo wouldn't result in similar circumstances. Yes they respect eachother - now.
Nico and Lewis were respectfull of eachother - as it seems - before their clashing @ Merc 2014. So really, why would that not
happen with Alonso or Lewis when put against eachother. In the end, it's a battle.

Quite frankly, i'm wondering whether history has EVER served a F1 team where 2 drivers in the SAME team whom had a WDC
competing capability did not result in 'clashing' or 'bitterness'. Senna-Prost?
Barrichello seemed a bit too 'bendy' but he was clearly not happy as the clear 2nd man @ Ferrari against Schumacher.
Vettel-Webber?

What might have been if we've seen Schumacher in the same team with Hill, Villeneuve or Montoya or Alonso? Or Schumacher-Senna.
Hell, if Senna had not been killed in that accident, i'm fairly confident that we would have come to see a Schumacher-Senna combo at
Ferrari.

Button-Hamilton was a nice pairing BUT that race in canada where they collided and Button in the end brilliantly won, did cause the
'friendship' to cool a fair bit and cause some controversy.

I don't think however that Alonso would actually use his car in such a way as Rosberg has against Lewis. Like Schumacher nearly squashed
Barrichello in the wall in 2010.

But i'm really in for some more excitement.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

mika vs michael
mika vs michael

Maybe Rosberg plays with Ferrari to get a better deal with Mercedes. Maybe Ferrari play with Rosberg in order to destabilize Mercedes. What Ferrari lacks is not a driver incapable winning the WDC. It lacks in aero, chassis and engine field. They need an overall better package. A car that can switch on tyres, that has aero balance and good traction. They lack more or less in every department. There is a chance that in the Mercedes team there is too much friction between camps. I mean Hamilton needed desperately to overtake Rosberg and win the race or at least not lose more points to Rosberg. Rosberg had the luxury to be more aggressive exactly because he has a 47 points advantage. Maybe Mercedes are thinking that there is too much heat between those two and maybe Hamilton is a bit downbeat towards the team because of the reliability problems. Mercedes would fancy Rosberg winning the title. They want the car to be the protagonist and not the drivers. So if it is Hamilton again winning maybe it's too much Hamilton...Anything is possible...I think the only reason Hamilton taking a sabbatical would be wanting to leave Merc but they would not let him go to another team immediately. Also have in mind that in 2017, there is a noticeable change in regulation. Mercedes will not have the luxury to enjoy such big advantage. So they may want to have a strong no 1 driver like Hamilton and get a younger driver -from germany who that could be- to partner Lewis. In that scenario Rosberg is out...
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." Stirling Moss

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just run out of talent

notsofast
notsofast

Manoah2u wrote:...another stint of 'not being there' where he wants and quite frankly, should be.
That's the problem for many drivers, isn't it? There are more drivers who should be in a GP winning car than there are GP winning cars. Everyone is talking about Max (and rightly so), but if he doesn't end up in the right car at the right time, he won't be winning any WDCs, no matter how talented he is. Which is why I'm a proponent of not allowing drivers to be contracted for more than one season at a time. Let the bidding for next season begin, the day after the last race of this season!

SR71

Fuel, please meet Mr. Fire.

"Pascal Wehrlein: I'll be ready for Mercedes in 2017"

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/155 ... cedes-2017

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

So you are proposing that Mercedes dump Rosberg because his relationship with Hamilton is poor, so he can be replaced with Alonso? I'm sure having the two biggest prima donna's in F1 will really make Mercedes management life much easier.