Silly Season 2016/2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ringo

Re: Silly Season 2016/2017

Why do a year in a top car mercedes only to go to a questionable renault?
Bottos is going to be at the top of the game, so he may just fancy staying there and collect wins for a few years.

I would much rather perez in the mercedes, but i dont know how his contract is. Maybe they need him there at FI because of his rookie teammate similar to williams.

As for massa, im tired of him but i guess the key thing for williams is experience WITH williams. Massa is the only driver out there with that. There are more flashy drivers i would like to to see in that williams or mercedes but we seem stuck on these two boring guys massa and bottas. I guess its all linked to Totto and his driver management. They should just take the gamble with pascal or vergne and call it a day.
For Sure!!

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

ringo wrote:Why do a year in a top car mercedes only to go to a questionable renault?
Bottos is going to be at the top of the game, so he may just fancy staying there and collect wins for a few years.
this.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

hemichromis
hemichromis

Manoah2u wrote:
ringo wrote:Why do a year in a top car mercedes only to go to a questionable renault?
this.
Of Course you are both right but what if Mercedes have other ideas?

GM7

If the deal with Bottas is possible and Massa is agree to come back with Williams for a year, why Mercedes are waiting for an announcement ?
Is that mean that they are looking for another driver like Button, Perez, Grosjean or Sainz ?

Peter1919
Peter1919

GM7 wrote:If the deal with Bottas is possible and Massa is agree to come back with Williams for a year, why Mercedes are waiting for an announcement ?
Is that mean that they are looking for another driver like Button, Perez, Grosjean or Sainz ?
I think it more like Williams have got their insurance policy in place but their preferred option is still to keep hold of Bottas unless Merc throw enough cash their way.

PlatinumZealot

Restomaniac wrote:So a driver at 29 shows no loyalty after getting a WDC and retires to 'be with his family' which royally upsets his team, in the resulting shuffle because of that a driver at 35 with a family decides because of loyalty to his former team who are now in the mire to unretire.
Difference is trying to beat the best of the generation takes too much out of your family life. Massa had Alonso as a teammate but Massa already resigned to being number 2 so he had no stress on his family.

Imagine that one driver can push you so hard that you put your family on the line to beat him? I don't think we fully appreciate what has transpired at Mercedes, yet. Lewis' level really put Nico through the grinder. I know Bottas is a good driver, but something tells me he will be blown away.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Peter1919
Peter1919

PlatinumZealot wrote:and some anti-aging serum to get his 50 year old neurons firing like a 16 year old, he will never return to F1.
Whilst I agree he will never drive in F1 again he is 32 not 50

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:So a driver at 29 shows no loyalty after getting a WDC and retires to 'be with his family' which royally upsets his team, in the resulting shuffle because of that a driver at 35 with a family decides because of loyalty to his former team who are now in the mire to unretire.
Difference is trying to beat the best of the generation takes too much out of your family life. Massa had Alonso as a teammate but Massa already resigned to being number 2 so he had no stress on his family.

Imagine that one driver can push you so hard that you put your family on the line to beat him? I don't think we fully appreciate what has transpired at Mercedes, yet. Lewis' level really put Nico through the grinder. I know Bottas is a good driver, but something tells me he will be blown away.
That doesn't excuse him dropping his team in it thus effecting another drivers retirement 4 years his senior because he unlike Rosberg actually knows what loyalty is.
Nothing would make me put my family on the line. So more fool Rosberg if he did although strangely enough if he didn't win the WDC it wouldn't have been a issue as he would still be racing in 2017.

Scuderia1967

Peter1919 wrote:
GM7 wrote:If the deal with Bottas is possible and Massa is agree to come back with Williams for a year, why Mercedes are waiting for an announcement ?
I think it more like Williams have got their insurance policy in place but their preferred option is still to keep hold of Bottas unless Merc throw enough cash their way.
If it was just a "insurance policy", why go all the way to convince Massa to return AND make him sign a new contract?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

They won't formally announce anything until names are on contracts. To do otherwise is foolish.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

GM7

Kubica....we have lost a champion.

So it will be :

Mercedes : Hamilton / Bottas
Red Bull : Ricciardo / Verstappen
Ferrari : Raikkonen / Vettel
Mclaren : Alonso / Vandoorne
Renault : Hulkenberg / Palmer
Williams : Massa / Stroll
Haas : Grosjean / Magnussen
Force India : Perez / Ocon
Toro Rosso : Sainz / Kvyat
Sauber : Ericsson / Wehrlein
Manor : Haryanto / Giovinazzi ???

Who will drive for Manor next year ?

Jolle
Jolle

efuloni wrote:I've seen many many rumors that Sauber is about to become Alfa Romeo.
I think that is wishful thinking, Ferrari already has it's "junior" team -> HAAS. They might brand their PU as an Alfa for some extra discount from Ferrari/FIAT but I won't see FIAT buying Sauber (since they have their own tunnel working well again)

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

jonas_linder wrote:Why should Sebi80 shut up about KUB? All you other guys go on and on about theories that have as little merit as the KUB-wish! :lol: :roll: :wink:

And how is it trolling to wish for ones hero to land a good seat however probable it might be? :wtf: :wink:

This is the silly season thread after all 8)
it's not that, i am a fan of kubica myself, and i definately can imagine there are fans out there would love to see him race.
however, he is clearly not able yet to participate. at some point, it just is exegeration. if someone puts contineously 'ericsson' that would be rediculous at a certain point too.

hell, i'd sign for kubica but that chapter simply is closed. he'll do great in other series, but F1 is just past, as sad as that is.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Scuderia1967

Jolle wrote:
efuloni wrote:I've seen many many rumors that Sauber is about to become Alfa Romeo.
I think that is wishful thinking, Ferrari already has it's "junior" team -> HAAS. They might brand their PU as an Alfa for some extra discount from Ferrari/FIAT but I won't see FIAT buying Sauber (since they have their own tunnel working well again)
Alfa Romeo will come back to F1, Marchionne has (once again) confirmed it. But that will only happen after the current Giulia-Stelvio-Alfetta release dates

PlatinumZealot

Peter1919 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:and some anti-aging serum to get his 50 year old neurons firing like a 16 year old, he will never return to F1.
Whilst I agree he will never drive in F1 again he is 32 not 50
He will be 50 by time those anti-aging serums hit the market, that's what I'm saying. :wink:
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™