Silly Season 2016/2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
dans79

Re: Silly Season 2016/2017

Vasconia wrote: I know but he hasnt been so much faster than Massa who I guess is far from his best version. About the money.. I dont think this is a problem for Mercedes. I think the only problem for Mercedes is how evolves the relationship between Hamilton and Rosberg because if it only was for his performance Rosberg woud stay for sure.
He's out qualified Massa 30 to 15 since they have been team mates, as well as beaten him in the WDC each year as well. If Williams was a better team with a better car, I think it would be a lot more obvious. Take today for example, he was 1.3 seconds clear of Massa.
197 104 103 7

GPR-A duplicate2

The rumor, as heard on Sky, is that Nico has signed a 2 year deal with Mercedes !

Jolle
Jolle

GPR-A wrote:The rumor, as heard on Sky, is that Nico has signed a 2 year deal with Mercedes !
That would make a total of 9 years at Mercedes, impressive!

cooken
cooken

If you heard it on Sky you must have also heard that Toto denied it. So just depends on who is telling fibs.

GPR-A duplicate2

cooken wrote:If you heard it on Sky you must have also heard that Toto denied it. So just depends on who is telling fibs.
No. They said, Mercedes said, it is "Factually" incorrect.

Racer X

They keep mentioning Ferrari and Perez. But at the same time Force India are truly trying to re-sign him before he goes anywhere else for 2017.
So any rumors of Perez to any team my die if Force India manage to keep him.

Then it would eliminate Perez from Ferrari and increase some one like Ricciardo to Ferrari or Bottas or anyone really.

Kimis seat will go to one of many drivers From up and down the Grid there are so many Hulkenberg as well.

But back to Perez Force India trying to keep him.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Racer X

Phil wrote:Yes, I'd try to lure Rosberg because I think he's good enough and he may have lots of good insight on what makes the Mercedes such a strong package. Getting Rosberg might also lure some other technicians to Ferrari. So I think he would be a key player.

Apart from Rosberg, not really sure. I don't think Perez would do any better or have more potential than Kimi. That might be doing injustice to Perez though... Of course Ricciardo would be attractive, but I think he's unavailable and I think from Ricciardo's perspective, he'd rather eye a Mercedes than a Ferrari seat. At least Kimi gives some part of continuity and I have no idea how much value he brings outside of driving the car...

When you have a driver out perform the
Other as Vettel does you don't get any data from the second. You use him to test parts for reliability issues but that's about it.

So continuity isn't a plus always not if the continuity is mediocre. Just look at Button for Example. Or Massa when he drove behind Alonso for so many years....

iotar__

Told you, here's your answer to Ferrari silly season, Marchionne:
“Vettel is a pilot with extraordinary abilities,” he said, “but he has to be given the right car to win.“The problem is the machine (Ferrari SF16-H),” http://www.thisisf1.com/2016/06/19/prob ... archionne/
I assume it's the same machine that Raikkonen is driving. Blatantly untrue statement, it was the car that:

- went off instead of putting some pressure on Hamilton in Australia (Vettel)
- went backwards 6-... places in Bahrain at the start (Raikkonen)
- made mistakes and lost qualifying to Raikkonen, Ricciardo and by a huge margin to Rosberg instead of putting the pressure on him in China (Vettel)
- made mistakes and lost qualifying to Ricciardo and Rosberg (big margin) in China (Raikkonen)
- had a bad start and caused a collision with a team-mate in China, got a gearbox penalty for Russia
- got out-qualified by a slower car (Bottas) in Russia, gained a position but lost it after SC again, and lost one to Hamilton immediately
- lost qualifying to Verstappen and position to Sainz at the start in Spain, couldn't put any pressure on slower RB (Vettel)
- went backwards two places in Spain at the start and couldn't for a second put any pressure on slower RB/Vertstappen (Raikkonen)
- lost position to Perez (was lucky not to lose to Sainz) strategy mostly to blame but also pace and mistakes (Massa attempt), then couldn't get close to slower Force India in Monaco (Vettel)
- crashed and caused two collisions in Monaco after getting outqualified by a slower car - Hulknenberg (Raikkonen)
- was outqualified by 2x slower cars in Canada (Raikkonen) and was slow in the race (unlike the other car, the car not the driver to blame)
- went off 2 times, in Canada and couldn't get close to LH on much fresher tyres (Vettel) OK fine it was largely (but not only) the car
- got outqualified by a slower car in Baku (both)

The problem is the car, mostly second or close second, sometimes probably equal best (China, Canada?), third best at worst (Monaco) and not underperforming drivers. The one with probably better starts than Mercedes, hard to say, let's say it's both car and drivers. Fire Allison, aero and engine people then, keep the drivers and count on '04 or '11.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

from @EmmaWalkerF1:

"
So Williams are talking to several drivers and Jenson Button "may or may not be on that list..." Interesting.
"

flickerf1
flickerf1

Wondering when Checo will get a call from Ferrari.
The Wicked + The Divine.

hemichromis
hemichromis

flickerf1 wrote:Wondering when Checo will get a call from Ferrari.
He would really suit Ferrari's driver strategy.

FrukostScones

hemichromis wrote:Kimi's main problem is his price. A similar quality of driver could be had for half his salary.
for a tenth or less
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Racer X

Sergio the only Driver that takes a good enough to be in the Top 10 car and puts it in Podium. Now Imagine a Ferrari I wish they seat him with Vettel. That pair could win Championships. Vettel would still be the better driver but Sergio would help secure Constructor Championships.

ringo

Provided Ferrari strategists are as good as force India's.
For Sure!!

basti313
basti313

ringo wrote:Provided Ferrari strategists are as good as force India's.
Well...today two good strategies (Vet and Per) and two bad ones (Rai and Hul)...looks quite similar to me :D
Don`t russel the hamster!