Energy drinks as F1 sponsors

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
theriusDR3
theriusDR3

Energy drinks as F1 sponsors

MOD note: Topic title changed, as the posts have revolved around a discussion about energy drink sponsorship in general, rather than the speculated deal between Monster and Ferrari

Monster Energy and Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 2016 season will be final season. There is a rumour that Monster Energy will sponsor the SCUDERIA FERRARI for 2017 onwards. SCUDERIA FERRARI partnership with TNT Energy Drink will be ended after 2016 season because TNT will not renew the SCUDERIA. SCUDERIA FERRARI 2017 season will feature The "M" Three Green Claw logo on their cars, race overalls and helmets but the livery of the SCUDERIA FERRARI still red with addition of Monster Energy logo.

Your thoughts?
Last edited by Steven on 03 Nov 2016, 13:47, edited 1 time in total.

FrukostScones

Re: will Monster Energy sponsoring Scuderia Ferrari F1 from 2017 season?

disgusting product and abysmal company ethics poisening the youth, funny how the marketing victims of muppets on those crotch rockets endorse this sh*t for zilch. better kill yourself quickly.*

*of course ride safely, but think before you drink! (and waste your money and make free advertsing and identify yourself with a corrupted image of idiocy)
Last edited by FrukostScones on 27 Apr 2016, 20:44, edited 1 time in total.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

wesley123
wesley123

FrukostScones wrote:disgusting product and abysmal company ethics poisening the youth, funny how the marketing victims of muppets on those crotch rockets endorse this sh*t for zilch. better kill yourself quickly.
Thankfully brands like Marlboro, Johnnie Walker, Chandon, Red Bull, Exxonmobil, Petronas, Shell, Smirnoff, Total and Martini know to stay away from F1 sponsorship!
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

FrukostScones

wesley123 wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:disgusting product and abysmal company ethics poisening the youth, funny how the marketing victims of muppets on those crotch rockets endorse this sh*t for zilch. better kill yourself quickly.
Thankfully brands like Marlboro, Johnnie Walker, Chandon, Red Bull, Exxonmobil, Petronas, Shell, Smirnoff, Total and Martini know to stay away from F1 sponsorship!

as far as I know Tobacco advertising in F1 was banned.. alcohol advertising is banned in some countries France etc. and Energy drinks advertising will soon be banned... also it will be banned to sell this (overpriced) poison (not just junk) to youths under 18.
and rightly so... also Tobacco and Alcohol are not advertised towards children... and never directly were (maybe indirectly). Energy drinks are!

superdowg316

Having had ties with Monster Energy in the past, they're an OK company. Whether you like energy drinks or not, it's a huge premium brand to have sponsoring a team and the exposure will be great for Ferrari, not that they need it. Energy drinks aren't targeted for children, but for "youth" between around 15 or 16-25 or so.

Wondering how green logos fit on a red and white car however.
Friendship with Honda ended, Renault is my new (and more reliable) friend.

RA168E
RA168E

superdowg316 wrote:Having had ties with Monster Energy in the past, they're an OK company. Whether you like energy drinks or not, it's a huge premium brand to have sponsoring a team and the exposure will be great for Ferrari, not that they need it. Energy drinks aren't targeted for children, but for "youth" between around 15 or 16-25 or so.

Wondering how green logos fit on a red and white car however.
The Italian flag?

Chuckjr

FrukostScones wrote:disgusting product and abysmal company ethics poisening the youth, funny how the marketing victims of muppets on those crotch rockets endorse this sh*t for zilch. better kill yourself quickly.*

*of course ride safely, but think before you drink! (and waste your money and make free advertsing and identify yourself with a corrupted image of idiocy)
+1
Agree 100%
Watching F1 since 1986.

superdowg316

I just realised that if this does go ahead that Vettel will basically be sponsored by the top rival company to the energy drink that kick started his career. How times have changed.

And I like energy drink and motor oil/petrol sponsorship. If it brings money to smaller teams and fill grids, we could have Rockstar Sauber and NOS Energy Manor for all I care.

continuum16

I would think it would be more likely that Monster would sponsor Haas, given that they already do so in NASCAR. Maybe a Ferrari-Monster-Haas tie-up?
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

stefan_
stefan_

Excuse my french, but who the f**k cares about who this company will sponsor starting 2017?
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Jolle
Jolle

wesley123 wrote:
I see that as one of the biggest challenges of formula one, especially on the commercial side. It's always been a bit of a club for advertising products that are a bit dodgy. Oil, tobacco and energy drinks.

for the foreseen change in management, this would be the biggest point to change. How to get positive companies into F1.

Gerhardsa

Jolle wrote:
wesley123 wrote:
I see that as one of the biggest challenges of formula one, especially on the commercial side. It's always been a bit of a club for advertising products that are a bit dodgy. Oil, tobacco and energy drinks.

for the foreseen change in management, this would be the biggest point to change. How to get positive companies into F1.
Yeah that will be a great idea!
Lets starve the mid-lower teams even more by chasing away all the big sponsoring industries to F1 because NO....its not an already sh!@#tly expensive sport!

Big Mangalhit

FrukostScones wrote:
wesley123 wrote:

as far as I know Tobacco advertising in F1 was banned.. alcohol advertising is banned in some countries France etc. and Energy drinks advertising will soon be banned... also it will be banned to sell this (overpriced) poison (not just junk) to youths under 18.
and rightly so... also Tobacco and Alcohol are not advertised towards children... and never directly were (maybe indirectly). Energy drinks are!
Tobacco industry used to, and arguably still very much does, market directly to kids/youth.

Some info on that http://www.tobaccofreekids.org/microsit ... istory.pdf
http://tobaccofreeca.com/smoking-proble ... ing/youth/

Also it has been proven empirically that tobacco highly damages your health, while it has not been proven the same for energy drinks, even of you personally don't like them (I don't either but I value scientific studies).
The only molecules that could be truly damaging are caffeine, which is also proven to have huge benefits in health and is present at a content similar to a normal usage. And sugar (in case of non sugar-free drinks) and in this case it is a big problem for health of young people and people in general. Although I don't see any difference to any other soft-drink, which also market directly to kids btw.

superdowg316

Big Mangalhit wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:
wesley123 wrote:

Tobacco industry used to, and arguably still very much does, market directly to kids/youth.

Also it has been proven empirically that tobacco highly damages your health, while it has not been proven the same for energy drinks, even of you personally don't like them (I don't either but I value scientific studies).
The only molecules that could be truly damaging are caffeine, which is also proven to have huge benefits in health and is present at a content similar to a normal usage. And sugar (in case of non sugar-free drinks) and in this case it is a big problem for health of young people and people in general. Although I don't see any difference to any other soft-drink, which also market directly to kids btw.
Energy drinks don't damage your health if you drink no more than one a day at worse and once a week or two at best. Tobacco however damages you almost instantly.

FrukostScones

Big Mangalhit wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:
wesley123 wrote:

don't fool yourself, it was only caffeine and glucose in there it would be no problem..
but check the ingredients... a lot of artficial stuff in high doses that are still considered safe by the legislators but only because they are no studies yet (or just a few), which study the long term effect of this mixture:

The ingredients include carbonated water, sucrose, glucose, citric acid, natural flavors, taurine, sodium citrate, color added, panax ginseng root extract, L-carnitine, caffeine, sorbic acid, benzoic acid, niacinamide, sodium chloride, glucuronolactone, inositol, guarana seed extract, pyridoxine hydrochloride, sucralose, riboflavin, maltodextrin, and cyanocobalamin.
(quickly taken from Wikipedia).

Especially Inositol and Glucuronolactone are very dodgy ingredients.

So If you say it's safe drink as much as you can, but I'd rather safe my liver, kidneys and heart for truly entertaining stuff.