Will Brexit have an impact on F1?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Ennis
Ennis

Re: Will Brexit have an impact on F1?

Gaz. wrote:Remember the teams earn money in USD.
I was about to ask this question... which currency to teams get paid in? Is there a source for this?

I know teams have various revenue streams and this could get complex quickly (FIA may pay in USD, some Sponsors may pay in Euro, others may pay in GBP...).

In theory this may leave British based teams with a stronger hand than Ferrari for example, as at least their wage costs will be lower.

Phil

FoxHound wrote:An example of locals being overlooked some may cry.
Looking deeper, these applicants are merely applying and going through the process to appease their benefits officer.
Some even go so far as getting through to training, bit then demonstrate such abject motivation and diligence, that they are asked not to return to work.
This sounds very similar to what we have here. Other arguments I've heard is that we need freedom of movement because these immigrants are filling jobs that we ourselves as a nation lack. In other words, our own citizens wouldn't dare work for some jobs. That is certainly true, though many forget that this situation is self-inflicted. A couple of decades ago, these jobs were better payed because the (free) market dictated the salary and cost by a natural progression of supply and demand. No one willing to work the job you are offering? Prices goes up. Too much supply of people competing to work that job? Salary and costs go down. Same thing on the housing market and just about any goods really.

The problem I see with the EU and this free movement is that the EU has changed significantly. It no longer is just a union of countries with similar wealth. And as such, you are increasing immigrants coming here. I guess compared to the 50/60 is that it was still something that any nation had a direct control over. Cherry picking if you like. Not limitless immigration. But with what we have now... and together with our social system, that is a very dangerous combination to have.
Vasconia wrote:About the Brexit, I am sorry for this but its funny to see how the lies of the Brexit side start to surface.
I'm not sure what lies you are referring to. It's not as if the public only got to hear "one side of the story". There were two sides to all of it, with both arguments for and against. To suggest that people were blindsided by one side is a bit far fetched given all the arguments that were thrown back and forth. Voting for change is always a leap into a bit of darkness. There are rarely certainties. On the other hand, deciding to stay has its fair share of uncertainties too. We're yet to see what will happen with the EU, even if Britain had decided to stay. The Syrian crisis for instance will still have a huge impact for years to come, and not just financially, but also culturally. It will have a direct impact on every single citizen and their living longterm. Irreversibly. Most people in favor of the EU are usually rather shortsighted in what the benefits are.

Also, it was always clear on what Brexit would cause. It's natural that many politicians (who didn't think it would come through) are shocked. Now the political game starts. The EU and pro EU politicians will want to seemingly come down hard on Britain so that they can say "told you so" and at the same time, stop other nations where populists/nationalists are on the rise and developing an anti-EU mentality and popularity of wanting to part from the EU of gaining any traction. So it's logical that now that the markets are in haywire over the uncertainty that everyone is pointing their little fingers as if to prove that they were right all along. Amazing ability that.

Britain is a very strong and important trade partner. Trade deals are never one sided. It's mutually beneficial to have good trade terms between Britain and the EU. To not have that, would be limiting and bad for both. The EU will have to tread carefully if it wants to survive.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Vasconia

Phil wrote:
FoxHound wrote:An example of locals being overlooked some may cry.
Looking deeper, these applicants are merely applying and going through the process to appease their benefits officer.
Some even go so far as getting through to training, bit then demonstrate such abject motivation and diligence, that they are asked not to return to work.
This sounds very similar to what we have here. Other arguments I've heard is that we need freedom of movement because these immigrants are filling jobs that we ourselves as a nation lack. In other words, our own citizens wouldn't dare work for some jobs. That is certainly true, though many forget that this situation is self-inflicted. A couple of decades ago, these jobs were better payed because the (free) market dictated the salary and cost by a natural progression of supply and demand. No one willing to work the job you are offering? Prices goes up. Too much supply of people competing to work that job? Salary and costs go down. Same thing on the housing market and just about any goods really.

The problem I see with the EU and this free movement is that the EU has changed significantly. It no longer is just a union of countries with similar wealth. And as such, you are increasing immigrants coming here. I guess compared to the 50/60 is that it was still something that any nation had a direct control over. Cherry picking if you like. Not limitless immigration. But with what we have now... and together with our social system, that is a very dangerous combination to have.
Vasconia wrote:About the Brexit, I am sorry for this but its funny to see how the lies of the Brexit side start to surface.
I'm not sure what lies you are referring to. It's not as if the public only got to hear "one side of the story". There were two sides to all of it, with both arguments for and against. To suggest that people were blindsided by one side is a bit far fetched given all the arguments that were thrown back and forth. Voting for change is always a leap into a bit of darkness. There are rarely certainties. On the other hand, deciding to stay has its fair share of uncertainties too. We're yet to see what will happen with the EU, even if Britain had decided to stay. The Syrian crisis for instance will still have a huge impact for years to come, and not just financially, but also culturally. It will have a direct impact on every single citizen and their living longterm. Irreversibly. Most people in favor of the EU are usually rather shortsighted in what the benefits are.

Also, it was always clear on what Brexit would cause. It's natural that many politicians (who didn't think it would come through) are shocked. Now the political game starts. The EU and pro EU politicians will want to seemingly come down hard on Britain so that they can say "told you so" and at the same time, stop other nations where populists/nationalists are on the rise and developing an anti-EU mentality and popularity of wanting to part from the EU of gaining any traction. So it's logical that now that the markets are in haywire over the uncertainty that everyone is pointing their little fingers as if to prove that they were right all along. Amazing ability that.

Britain is a very strong and important trade partner. Trade deals are never one sided. It's mutually beneficial to have good trade terms between Britain and the EU. To not have that, would be limiting and bad for both. The EU will have to tread carefully if it wants to survive.
For example this:

http://www.motherjones.com/.../nigel-fa ... %20mistake

Promises that some people make knowing that they cant be done or without knowing if it can be done.

On the other hand, I have seen on a few articles that the racists attacks have increaded a 50-60% since the referendum. According to some videos there are people who claim that they have been "asked" to leave the country after the referedum. Its a rise of ultra-nacionalism?

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

the benign state of race relations in the UK is a key factor motivating immigration (to the UK rather than elsewhere)

eg more than 50% of London's population was born outside the UK
(how about Madrid, Paris, Berlin or New York ?)
13% (and rising) of the established national population is of non-indigenous ethnicity
largely from obligations that we volunteered decades before we joined the a trading bloc, the EEC

we never joined the EU
membership of our Governments has always been split on the EU
referenda in other countries eg Denmark have rejected EU treaties in the past
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 29 Jun 2016, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.

Andres125sx

Vasconia wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
Ciro Pabón wrote:1. No more muslim or foreign drivers stealing jobs in British teams: say goodbye to Alonso, who probably is half Romani as most Spaniards have some "gitano" blood.
I know you were just kidding, but as an spaniard myself sorry but I can´t read this without replying. No, gitanos are just a small fraction of spaniards, around 1%

But if you say the same about muslim blood, I couldn´t reply, after 7 centuries with the Iberian peninsula occupied almost entirely by muslims there would be no arguments
Unless if you live in the northern area as myself and Alonso haha.
You too? Oh no please! :lol: My best friend is from Asturias, and he´s constantly kidding about that :mrgreen:
Vasconia wrote:The mixing betwen gipsy people and others is minium in the northen area.
And in southern, and eastern, and western. Gipsy people is the most racist I´ve ever found, period. Did you notice the use they do of the word "payo" (spanish term of gipsy people refering to non-gipsy people). For them that´s an insult, a very strong insult. That speak itself

I´m far from racist, but my experience with gipsy people has been what it has been, I´ve only known those stealing on my parents pharmacy, those stealing on the buildings I used to work in (once they did steal a complete section of metallic pillars :shock: ), and those blackmailing in buildings to take the night security and did pretended to earn more money than myself as a construction manager, if you disagree next day you´ll find a surprise in form of a loot stand, and same person asking if you did reconsider it :o :x :evil: . With this experience you cannot be too tolerant with gipsy people I´m afraid

Jolle
Jolle

https://youtu.be/Oj8RIEQH7zA

The post-brexit conclusion.

Palin: Johnson/Farage/The Sun/Mail
Cleese: the voters/sky news/guardian
Parrot: economy/stockmarkets/banks

Ergo: Boris should become a lumberjack.

R_Redding
R_Redding

Jolle wrote: The post-brexit conclusion.
And here's Paolo Barnard Italian point of view on post brexit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Futxf1U2f8&spf

R_Redding
R_Redding

R_Redding wrote:
And here's Paolo Barnards Italian point of view on post brexit.

Jolle
Jolle

R_Redding wrote:
And here's Paolo Barnard Italian point of view on post brexit.

Nah, Gove doesn't like listening to experts :P (remind yourself that Gove&Johnson themselves are journalists)

What this Italian guy is missing, that Britain will be unstable for at least 2 years, because nobody knows what impact is will have on its economy and how and on what way trade will commence. This, even more then import and export figures is deadly for an economy.

They are hoping for "one step back, two steps forward", but it might be "three steps back, one forward".

Phil

Jolle wrote:What this Italian guy is missing, that Britain will be unstable for at least 2 years, because nobody knows what impact is will have on its economy and how and on what way trade will commence. This, even more then import and export figures is deadly for an economy.
The fun thing is, is that the EU itself is anything but stable. It has been anything but that the past few years. And the outlook isn't particularly rosy either. So yes, the Britain will face a period of instability of the market and the exchange, that much was foreseeable. But as was pointed out, the Brits are a very big consumer of EU exports. I'd be quite hesitant to shut them out. To do that would be akin to shooting yourself in the foot. Of course, coming off big and loud and tough is all part of the negotiation process and politics. And I'm not particularly concerned over that instability in the next 2 years. There's a market and world beyond the EU (and a very large and growing one too!). Of course, one can try to focus on the negative, yes, the very very short foreseeable future, or perhaps a more positive outlook into what exciting prospects there might be if one no longer is constraint by a million political laws and decisions (that yield a very large impact on all) that have been made 400km away?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Vasconia

Phil wrote:
Jolle wrote:What this Italian guy is missing, that Britain will be unstable for at least 2 years, because nobody knows what impact is will have on its economy and how and on what way trade will commence. This, even more then import and export figures is deadly for an economy.
The fun thing is, is that the EU itself is anything but stable. It has been anything but that the past few years. And the outlook isn't particularly rosy either. So yes, the Britain will face a period of instability of the market and the exchange, that much was foreseeable. But as was pointed out, the Brits are a very big consumer of EU exports. I'd be quite hesitant to shut them out. To do that would be akin to shooting yourself in the foot. Of course, coming off big and loud and tough is all part of the negotiation process and politics. And I'm not particularly concerned over that instability in the next 2 years. There's a market and world beyond the EU (and a very large and growing one too!). Of course, one can try to focus on the negative, yes, the very very short foreseeable future, or perhaps a more positive outlook into what exciting prospects there might be if one no longer is constraint by a million political laws and decisions (that yield a very large impact on all) that have been made 400km away?
Do you really believe that outside the EU everything is easy, and a happy non-law dependant world?

To be a part of a bigger things can be harder sometimes but it has benefits, and the UK has taken advantage of them. Now it seems that this country has been somekind a pariah when it has had many privileges. :wtf:

Plus the UK has not been a part of the Shengen area and the euro. If they have the righ to complain, what should we do the rest?. Every country has the right to leave the EU if they consider that there is a better way to do the things bu tI dont like the victimism of certain groups.

I am sure that the situation will be solved because both sides benefit from a good cooperation, but if you are out, you are out. Dont expect privileges, they come with some obligations.

Jolle
Jolle

Phil wrote:
In and export will stay high indeed. Economy is much like a f1 car, if you stop developing, you're Renault within a year. Foreign companies who want to be in Europe (like banks) are going to relocate partial to Frankfurt and Amsterdam. The investors for TATA steel already pulled out.
Yes, there will be positives. Opportunist investors will move cash to and from the U.K, but in general the uncertainty will kill it. Look at Detroit, a recession and the town is practically broke.
Who will invest in long term contracts if they don't know if import tax will be a thing? Who will invest in a factory without long term contracts? In the coming two years, if you're going to invest in a bank in the eu or in the uk, what will they choose?

And all those rules.. If you want to export to the EU, it still has to be according to EU regulations. The coming years the UK has to make its own rules, and all products have to be tested again. It's quite possible that some products won't be available in the UK anymore.

But the parrot sketch was more how Gove&Boris reacted to the downfall on the stock market, even when trade in RBS was halted he said "the market is already coming back".

Phil

@Vasconia

I never said such a thing, nor did I imply it. I was merely pointing out that the EU is anything but stable. In fact, more and more are regarding it as a sinking ship, especially now that the Brits have decided to leave it. One needs to separate the politics from what good (and bad) being part of the Union has actually brought each individual country. The answer might be different from country to country. It also varies from person to person, pretty much depending on what you value in life.

As I said earlier; I'm from Switzerland, and yet we are not part of the EU per say. We do have many bilateral agreements, yet (for the most part) we are our own sovereignty. These bilateral agreements, among which is also the Free Movement Directive, has been for the most part beneficial. But times change. Perhaps we are lucky that at least, 'we' get to vote for such things. Many countries do not (and I do mean its citizens). The Brits have just gotten this opportunity itself and sometimes, the public and its citizens (or a large part of) does not want the same as politicians do. Will everything be rosy? No of course not, but I wouldn't exactly be too afraid of the short-focused instability. Certainly not by the threats coming from Brussel. Their motivation is clear, but the stakes are equally high too. The markets will eventually settle down too, you will see. It's not all doom and gloom and once the "shock" settles, things will normalize. Of course, the uncertainty will remain during the entire process and I'm also certain rough times for many lie ahead. In the long run though? I'm far more concerned what will happen and become of the EU than what the Brits may be facing in these coming years.

BTW: Schengen != Personenfreizügigkeit or in English, the Free Movement Directive.
#Team44 supporter

Vasconia

Phil wrote:@Vasconia

I never said such a thing, nor did I imply it. I was merely pointing out that the EU is anything but stable. In fact, more and more are regarding it as a sinking ship, especially now that the Brits have decided to leave it. One needs to separate the politics from what good (and bad) being part of the Union has actually brought each individual country. The answer might be different from country to country. It also varies from person to person, pretty much depending on what you value in life.

As I said earlier; I'm from Switzerland, and yet we are not part of the EU per say. We do have many bilateral agreements, yet (for the most part) we are our own sovereignty. These bilateral agreements, among which is also the Free Movement Directive, has been for the most part beneficial. But times change. Perhaps we are lucky that at least, 'we' get to vote for such things. Many countries do not (and I do mean its citizens). The Brits have just gotten this opportunity itself and sometimes, the public and its citizens (or a large part of) does not want the same as politicians do. Will everything be rosy? No of course not, but I wouldn't exactly be too afraid of the short-focused instability. Certainly not by the threats coming from Brussel. Their motivation is clear, but the stakes are equally high too. The markets will eventually settle down too, you will see. It's not all doom and gloom and once the "shock" settles, things will normalize. Of course, the uncertainty will remain during the entire process and I'm also certain rough times for many lie ahead. In the long run though? I'm far more concerned what will happen and become of the EU than what the Brits may be facing in these coming years.

BTW: Schengen != Personenfreizügigkeit or in English, the Free Movement Directive.
Haha, you´re right. Sometimes I write too fast. My mistake.

The lack of stability has come because of some external factors, not because the EU itself. Though I must blame the EU for a terrible management of those problems:

1. A financial crisis which affected more certain countries(we all know which ones). And the lack of an immediate and unitarian reaction by the EU.

2. A migratory crisis. Same problem here.

Jolle
Jolle

Phil wrote:@Vasconia

Maybe it's just as simple as history:
The Swiss have the urge to be independent
The Britts need to rule something
And mainland Europe always wanted to be part of something big.