Drivers reveal how they would change and improve Formula 1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Andres125sx

Re: Drivers reveal how they would change and improve Formula 1

Manoah2u wrote:
Andres125sx wrote: And this is the proof, you think if they would have allowed 1 PU per GP they would be more powerful. Sorry but that´s a mistake.
in what world are you living? obviously with the same investments possible, the engines would have been more powerful as they can wear the very same engine down a whole lot more untill it cracks. are you really that thick?
In that case the PU would be smaller, period.
:roll:
FIA has never pretended 1500bhp PU, they always targeted close to 1000bhp PU, that can be achieved with 1.6 displacement engines wich must last 4-5 GPs or with 1.0-1.2 displacement engines wich can be replaced at every GP. This is the concept you don´t grasp
you're not the one that is able to grasp it.
The discussion is about how FIA is castrating F1 and what to do to improve it.
I dont give a flying funk about what FIA pretends to target.

You fail to understand too that with 1.0 or 1.2 L displacement engines you're also performance-restricted if they're mandated to do 5 races instead of 1. Whether it's a 1.0 L, a 1.5 L, a 3.0 L, whether it's a 4-cyl, a V6, a V8 or V10/V12,
if you tighten the rope of engine usage, and tighten the rope of fuel usage, you hamper and castrate possible output.
Yes, obviously, but you fail to understand FIA allowed 1.6 displacemente engines to compensate exactly that point, so they´re not castrating anything because they increased engine displacement to compensate the lower power output of an engine wich must last 4-5 GPs.

When they wrote the new rules the target was close to 1000bhp PUs, it doesn´t matter if they do it with 1.0 engines for one race or 1.6 engines for 4 races, power and perfomance will be similar, so no castration at all.... if you´re thinking about letting the manufacturers build what they want (free engines), in that case yes, obviously FIA is castrating F1 teams with their rulebook, as they´ve always do, that´s their job
Manoah2u wrote:Technological advancement and engineering has resulted in current 1.6L V6 engines running on a fuel of 100KGS,
when the older 3.0 L V10 engines N/A took about 180KGS of fuel.
Are they more reliable? Yes, but not because of the fuel usage. They are because the old V10's were allowed to do
much more mileage on a single engine. Are they more economic? Basically yes, but one still forgets that the current
hybrid powertrains HELP the engines. In other words, if a classic 3.0 L V10 had an output of 1000 HP, and used let's
say 200 KGS of fuel, than every HP costs 5 KG of fuel. so let's say the electric part runs 150 HP.
That equals 30 K's of fuel less needed.
That means they now 'only' need 170 KG of fuel.
Is F1 more economic now?
Basically no. Because the same engine still uses the same amount of fuel, they just compensated the loss of power with
an electric auxilarry. When they managed to make that very same engine displacement [3.0 V10 N/A] run on 150 KG of fuel paired to that electric system, and STILL produce the same 1000HP figure THEN yes, it is more economic. NOT if it turns out that they now produce 850 HP instead of the 1000 HP and compensate that through mandated aerodynamic changes to keep the laptimes similar.
Sorry to say this, but that reasoning is a bit warp, looks like you´re trying to justify your point of view :roll:

Any reason you "discount" the power of the electrical part? That 150hp are not coming from the air, but from the fuel tank too so no, they´re not using 100kg of fuel to produce 850bhp, with 100kg of fuel they´re producing 1000bhp (your rough numbers)
Manoah2u wrote:Is F1 more economic now?
Basically no. Because the same engine still uses the same amount of fuel, they just compensated the loss of power with
an electric auxilarry. When they managed to make that very same engine displacement [3.0 V10 N/A] run on 150 KG of fuel paired to that electric system, and STILL produce the same 1000HP figure THEN yes, it is more economic.
So using 150kg of fuel to produce 1000bhp would be more economical than using 100kg of fuel to produce 850 bhp.......

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Are you completely reading and logic impaired?

And really, 150 hp is coming from FUEL???!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

It's an electric engine, it does not run on fuel. are you for real?

It works partially on Kinetic energy, which harvests energy through kinectic power, like braking to name one.
Not a single drop of fuel is used here.

Motor Generator Units convert mechanical and heat energy to electrical energy and vice versa
They are made up from the Motor Generator Unit – Kinetic (MGU-K),
and Motor Generator Unit – Heat (MGU-H), plus an ‘energy store’ (ES) and control electronics.
Renault describes its energy store as a “battery”.

MGU-K, like KERS, uses a motor-generator to deliver power (120kW) for acceleration and extract energy instead of friction brakes for deceleration. MGU-K works like an upgraded version of KERS, converting kinetic energy generated under braking into electricity (rather than it escaping as heat). It also acts as a motor under acceleration, returning up to 120kW (approximately 160hp) power to the drivetrain from the Energy Store.

MGU-H also uses a motor-generator, connected to the turbocharger. Energy extracted can be used to feed the MGU-K directly, stored for later use by the MGU-K, or stored to be feed back into the turbocharger. MGU-H is an energy recovery system connected to the turbocharger of the engine and converts heat energy from exhaust gases into electrical energy. The energy can then be used to power the MGU-K (and thus the drivetrain) or be retained in the ES for subsequent use. MGU-H also controls the speed of the turbo, speeding it up (to prevent turbo lag) or slowing it down in place of a more traditional waste gate.

The 2.4 liters normally-aspirated V8 engines of 2013 produced around 750hp, with an additional 80hp available for around six seconds per lap from KERS. The 2014 V6s put out around 600hp. However, the two ERS systems (ERS-K and ERS-H) will give drivers an additional 160hp (120kW) or so for approximately 33 seconds per lap while previously, KERS used to give the driver around 80hp.

take not boy,
600 hp from V6T power alone, VS 1000 HP on V10 N/A power.
additional power results in: 760 HP [in 2014] according to rough figures, using 100 KGS of fuel.
180 Kgs of fuel for a 3.0 V10 with NO electrical energy on 1000 hp.

600 HP on 100 KGS of fuel. that's 6 HP per KG of fuel. that means 1/2 a HP won on fuel compared to 2004's v10 3.0 L.
1000 hp op 180 KGS of fuel. Thats 5,5 HP per KG of fuel.

Actual figures may and probably will be higher is said for both the V6T engine - aswell as the electric unit. But that same goes very much the same for the V10 engine.
It's said recently the combined V6T and ERS unit make up about 1000 HP. Possible, yes.
Does that make the V6T more economical? well, 12 years of technology should have that result yes. But the figures are still half-truths as the electrical unit 'cheats' on
the economic figures.

In the end, the 2004 engines did 180KGS of fuel to reach a race distance with a +/- 1000 HP V10 3.0 L N/A engine,
and 2014 engines did 100 KGS of fuel to reach a race distance with a +/- 760 HP V6T 1.6 L engine.

760 HP divided by 100 KGs of fuel makes up 7,6 HP per KG of fuel,
whereas 1000 HP on 180 KGs of fuel makes up 5,5 HP per KG of fuel, that is a increase of 1,1 HP per fuel, and quite more economic, sure.
But you're lying to yourself if you actually forget taking out that electrical part - which is NOT running on fuel for crying out loud.

BTW, 2.4 V8 N/A engines of 2013 ran about 150 KGs of fuel paired to a 82 HP kers system, and produced about 750 HP.

that means 750 HP divided by 150 KGs of fuel. equals 5 HP per KG of fuel.
I am not sure whether that 750 HP figure includes or excludes the 82 Kers power, i assume it excludes it as it was only in bursts available.

and you still aren't able to grasp that the 850 HP figure includes ERS. so it's NOT 850 HP on 100 KGS of fuel, it's 690 HP on 100 k's of fuel.

that's 6,9 HP on 1 KG of fuel,
vs 6,7 HP on 1 KG of fuel, a 'STAGGERING' difference of .2 HP.
something 10 years of fuel engineering just as well might add up to.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Andres125sx wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:wow, you're really full of it.
Then please enlighten me, what is your engineering experience?
why would I 'enlighten' somebody who thinks electrical units run on fuel? =D> :roll: , proving very much himself
he/she has zero engineering experience or even sense.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

henry

Manoah2u wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
why would I 'enlighten' somebody who thinks electrical units run on fuel? =D> :roll: , proving very much himself
Sorry for butting in but I'm not sure where you think the energy that drives the MGU-H comes from.

My understanding is that in at least one mode, self-sustaining, it is driven by the exhaust turbine and then sends its power directly to the MGU-K supplementing the power from the ICE. So you need to add that power to the direct ICE crankshaft power to get the overall power derived directly, and sustainably, from the fuel.

And come to think of it I'm of the opinion that the energy that is recovered under braking by the MGU-K also came from the fuel indirectly by raising the vehicle speed. Do you disagree?
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Offcourse it comes from the fuel indirectly, but not actively. It does not use the actual fuel. It is still generated from harvesting energy of material that normall gets lost or not used to its fullest potential. It's not like it's an additional engine running on the fuel. F1 engines atleast in the v8 era produced to almost 1000 degrees.
Exhaust heat hits that turbine at 1,000 degrees Celsius before exiting at 600 degrees.
The collected energy is sent into a densely packed, liquid-cooled lithium-ion battery, which is used to add a supplemental 161hp to the rear wheels and power the car’s electric turbo.
But that does not mean it actually runs on fuel - as in - burning or using the fuel to operate. It runs on a byproduct of the fuel.
It would also run the same on a V8 or V10 engine the cars worked with before - well, as for the electric turbo it makes a difference offcourse, but that's another story.

A F1 driver themselves operates the steering wheel, pedals, and all steering wheel functions. If it wouldn't push the pedals or steering wheel, it would go nowhere.
Likewise, if there was no fuel to power the Power Unit [combustion], then there would be no energy provided to the electric parts to work.

But that still doesnt mean it uses fuel. not even a tiny bit actually. Heat usage would lower, but if you look at MGU-K, the flywheel for example, or brake powered energy,
then there is not even a single matter of fuel involved. you could actually turn off the engine, and still generate power due to the flywheel rotation and pushing the brakes.
obviously, heat would go down dramatically fast and the heat harvesting energy would diminish rapidly, but that's another thing to concider.

F1 brakes need just as little fuel as the steering wheel does nor as the MGU does.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Meanwhile, I 'l l repeat, this is not a MGU function discussion but a thread about improving F1.

I'll repeat my statement of before;

cut artificial and forced measures that hamper F1's technologic capacity in favour of treehugging ideas that motor racing fans dont understand squad about.

I'm not complaining about having lots of awesome races, but if we just think about how 'pollution' caused by F1 affects the environment, then they're doing the opposite
by completely filling the year with races. 14 races a year pollutes a lot less than 22 races, even if you make the cars more economic marginally, especially concidering the
trucks, boats and [private]airplanes you need to go from race to race.
again, i'm not green-hagging there.

motor racing is motor racing.
if you want the world to change, provide real entertainment to step on to in favour of already existing entertainment.
If Formula E actually was fun and exciting, i'd happily look. It isn't ,and it doesnt bring anything over any other sports class. It's still relatively young so it can grow somewhere.
but i dont believe forcing it down your throat works.

henry

@manoah2u.

I think I see where you're coming from. Would it be fair to say that In your view "Real" fuel usage stops when the exhaust valve opens. I disagree, but I will not try to convince you otherwise.

I can agree that motor racing is motor racing but F1 is many other things. Principally it's a branch of advertising packaged as a form of entertainment. The world change that the participants want is for everyone to buy more of their products. Buy a Mercedes because they have the best engine technology. Buy Red Bull because of the thrill of being associated with speed and risk. Buy a Ferrari or McLaren to have a piece of the action. Buy a Martini because you help support the Williams Racing team take part. See how modern and switched on we are in Singapore, Kuala Lumpur .... Watch my TV channel and see some focussed adverts.

If you want F1 to be only about motor racing it would need to stop being advertising and entertainment, and if you want dramatic race long motor racing it would be necessary to reduce the engineering influence drastically, because the engineers will always put less fuel in the car than it needs to get to the end because that gives you a winning advantage. They can't unlearn that.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Andres125sx

Question to that who downvoted me arguing "kinetic and heat electric parts running on fuel". I guess it´s obvious who was after reading this:
Manoah2u wrote:Are you completely reading and logic impaired?

And really, 150 hp is coming from FUEL???!

http://www.f1technical.net/forum/images ... on_lol.gif http://www.f1technical.net/forum/images ... on_lol.gif http://www.f1technical.net/forum/images ... on_lol.gif http://www.f1technical.net/forum/images ... on_lol.gif http://www.f1technical.net/forum/images ... on_lol.gif http://www.f1technical.net/forum/images ... on_lol.gif http://www.f1technical.net/forum/images ... on_lol.gif http://www.f1technical.net/forum/images ... on_lol.gif http://www.f1technical.net/forum/images ... on_lol.gif http://www.f1technical.net/forum/images ... on_lol.gif

It's an electric engine, it does not run on fuel. are you for real?

It works partially on Kinetic energy, which harvests energy through kinectic power, like braking to name one.
Not a single drop of fuel is used here.
Manoah2u wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
Does a F1 car with not a single drop of fuel produce 120KW of electric power? Or it does need some fuel to build up some kinetic energy and then generate electricity with that kinetic energy?

Or maybe the ES is also a MEG (magic energy generator)?

No, all the electricity comes from kinetic or heat energy, and that energy is generated by fuel. With no fuel there´s no energy, electrical, kinetic or heat, so all the power F1 PUs generate comes from the fuel

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Be as selective and stubborn as you want. I see a lot of hypocrisy and i'll leave it at that. It seems you can only find ways to talk trash instead of talk facts, can't help you only want to hear your own ideas, but stop endlessly polluting this thread with it - i wont be a part of this any longer.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

henry wrote:@manoah2u.

I think I see where you're coming from. Would it be fair to say that In your view "Real" fuel usage stops when the exhaust valve opens. I disagree, but I will not try to convince you otherwise.

I can agree that motor racing is motor racing but F1 is many other things. Principally it's a branch of advertising packaged as a form of entertainment. The world change that the participants want is for everyone to buy more of their products. Buy a Mercedes because they have the best engine technology. Buy Red Bull because of the thrill of being associated with speed and risk. Buy a Ferrari or McLaren to have a piece of the action. Buy a Martini because you help support the Williams Racing team take part. See how modern and switched on we are in Singapore, Kuala Lumpur .... Watch my TV channel and see some focussed adverts.

If you want F1 to be only about motor racing it would need to stop being advertising and entertainment, and if you want dramatic race long motor racing it would be necessary to reduce the engineering influence drastically, because the engineers will always put less fuel in the car than it needs to get to the end because that gives you a winning advantage. They can't unlearn that.
Good point, but sponsoring is part of it. As stated, i dont have a problem with hybrid technology in F1, i can understand it completely. What i do have a problem with is the forced nonsense that's effectively hurting the sport. DRS, artificial tire wear. Though i'm not completely against the idea of 'cockpit protection' , i do resent the way they're looking for it after a crash that had nothing to do with having or not having cockpit protection (bianchi). The VSC rule has been implemented and imho is now used rather well, avoiding a repeat of the Bianchi incident. A lot of stuff is being forced in too hasty and clumsy, and the sport suffers from it.
Take the new qualy format of recent, im glad it got ditched. They should have done the same with the tires. Im not saying they should run on titatnium quality tires like the good old Bridgestones, but this is taken way too far.
My point is , F1 should not be about 'artificial' means to 'trick' people in seeing something 'spectacular'.

I understand initiating fuel flow limits, but again, it's taking it too far too fast. Just build it up slowly, one year at a time.
Would have been a lot better imho if they started from 120 in 2014, to 110 in 2015 to 100 in 2016 - just for an example.

Apart from that, Real fuel usage imho doesnt neccesarily stop when the exhaust valve opens. I take blown diffuers as example there. There are some essential parts that run indirectly on fuel, like airconditioning in a civilian vehicle - the compressor causes more resistance so there is more fuel needed to deal with the higher amount of stress put on the engine.
Likewise, there are some parts in an F1 engine that work the same.
The concept of ERS and KERS however does not work like that. It is used by second-hand energy, or secondary energy if you may. (K)ERS energy is not generated like a dynamo on a bicycle wheel. If it would, it would cost the engine too much power and not benefit. It works by the opposite; harvesting energy when the engine is not powering the wheels.
Is there still fuel flowing through the engine when it is slowing down in revs? sure, or it would stall. But that does not equal it powers the electric harvesting equipment.

Compare it to catching rainwater in a tank and using it to flush your toilet. You can save perhaps hundreds of litres of water use each year by doing so. Your bill shows you use less water from the water supply net, so you pay less. But have you actually used less water? no, you still use the same amount of water, but you use a secondary source of water.

Again, the point is aimed at improving Formula 1 compared to how it is run today.
I say, these artificial means which includes forced fuel use castration are hurting the sport. Releasing this would free the sport up and thus create more impressive and satisfying results.

I'm glad the token system is gone next year, as it was another artificially put system to think it would hold down costs.
It only resulted in more woes for F1. stop the nonsense, and respect the core of te sport; motor racing.

Andres125sx

Manoah2u wrote:Be as selective and stubborn as you want. I see a lot of hypocrisy and i'll leave it at that. It seems you can only find ways to talk trash instead of talk facts, can't help you only want to hear your own ideas, but stop endlessly polluting this thread with it - i wont be a part of this any longer.
Sorry manoah2u, but selective and stubborn is saying kinetic energy used by mgu-k or heat (exhaust gases) used by mgu-h to generate electricity, does not come from fuel #-o

Downvoting and posting lol smilies is easier than discussing, isn´t it?

henry

The fuel flow rate is simply a way to control maximum power output. It does the same job as has been done in the past by capacity limits, or boost limits, or several other measures. The fuel mass limit ( 100 kg per race) is there to stop them burning fuel purely to create electricity. Since you don't believe it is possible to burn fuel to create electricity that latter rule probably seems like an arbitrary attempt to cause you pain. If there were no per race mass limit they would, at some races only, carry a little more than 100 kg and burn it to make a little more direct power and a little more electricity, but they wouldn't load up so they can drive flat out for the whole race. That's not how you win. Freeing up the fuel mass limit would make little difference to the spectacle.

All sports are artificial. They are games played to an entirely arbitrary set of rules. Many rules have their origins in quite worthy objectives but over time these objectives get forgotten and the associated rules lose their effectiveness. Typical of this is DRS. It was an attempt to give following cars a boost at the end of the straight to make up for time lost in the preceding corner due to the difficulty of following. The position of the DRS zones were carefully calibrated to allow parallel running on entering the braking zone. Now the DRS zones are cast in stone and fully refined flap designs, differing power outputs and tyre grip make passes no more entertaining than watching your local motorway.

That's just a long winded way of saying that there needs to be a clear objective for any change. For instance the objectives for next year seem to be to increase the speed by 3-4 seconds a lap in order to lift F1 clear of other series. How that will sit with safety objectives we will have to wait and see.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Andres125sx wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:Be as selective and stubborn as you want. I see a lot of hypocrisy and i'll leave it at that. It seems you can only find ways to talk trash instead of talk facts, can't help you only want to hear your own ideas, but stop endlessly polluting this thread with it - i wont be a part of this any longer.
Sorry manoah2u, but selective and stubborn is saying kinetic energy used by mgu-k or heat (exhaust gases) used by mgu-h to generate electricity, does not come from fuel #-o

is that why you childishly keep downvoting and childishly keep pressing your ideas and polluting this thread? :roll: wow.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

henry wrote:The fuel flow rate is simply a way to control maximum power output. It does the same job as has been done in the past by capacity limits, or boost limits, or several other measures. The fuel mass limit ( 100 kg per race) is there to stop them burning fuel purely to create electricity. Since you don't believe it is possible to burn fuel to create electricity that latter rule probably seems like an arbitrary attempt to cause you pain. If there were no per race mass limit they would, at some races only, carry a little more than 100 kg and burn it to make a little more direct power and a little more electricity, but they wouldn't load up so they can drive flat out for the whole race. That's not how you win. Freeing up the fuel mass limit would make little difference to the spectacle.

All sports are artificial. They are games played to an entirely arbitrary set of rules. Many rules have their origins in quite worthy objectives but over time these objectives get forgotten and the associated rules lose their effectiveness. Typical of this is DRS. It was an attempt to give following cars a boost at the end of the straight to make up for time lost in the preceding corner due to the difficulty of following. The position of the DRS zones were carefully calibrated to allow parallel running on entering the braking zone. Now the DRS zones are cast in stone and fully refined flap designs, differing power outputs and tyre grip make passes no more entertaining than watching your local motorway.

That's just a long winded way of saying that there needs to be a clear objective for any change. For instance the objectives for next year seem to be to increase the speed by 3-4 seconds a lap in order to lift F1 clear of other series. How that will sit with safety objectives we will have to wait and see.
thanks for the insightful and constructive arguments brought to prove a valuable point, paired with actual insight.

Andres125sx

Manoah2u wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:

is that why you childishly keep downvoting and childishly keep pressing your ideas and polluting this thread? :roll: wow.
Ok i give up, kinetic and heat energy used by mgus does not come from fuel. :roll:

A bit hipocrite to criticize exactly what you're doing tough