Apple in talks to buy McLaren

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Re: Apple in talks to buy McLaren

I'll quote myself from the actual Mclaren thread - where i think this topic actually belongs, but ok.
Manoah2u wrote:Sony has been mentioned a year ago or more, I could see that still happening way before Apple.

Brand image simply doesnt fit in F1 either. As a replacement for Rolex or what was that brand about the timing and so? perhaps.
Heineken-like sponsorship in F1? yes. title sponsor? nah.

potentially having a apple logo on a Mclaren like Lotus/Renault had with Microsoft? sure why not.
and yes, as above poster mentions, would look better to have Apple logo on a Mclaren instead of Sensodyne toothpaste. I cringed first time i noticed it,
i still cringe.

Sony, Samsung, Apple, all rather preffered then something like toothpaste.

I was surprised when K-Mag was aboard we didn't get to see more lucrative sponsorship deals like 'Jack & Jones' - especially with Boss stepping out.

Matter of fact, i still dont get why - especially with Alonso on board - we dont see a bigger santander deal. Yes, i know that one of the big guys there either
got busted by 5-0 for some 'incorrect' handling, or was it that one of them passed away?
Still, Santander used to be present rather big on Ferrari, and IIRC also on Mclaren before the Vodafone deal.

Mclaren's livery is still rather dull and disappointing though. several artist impressions around that look not just a bit better but a million times.

I do think IF Apple deal would have happened, that they'd get a huge improvement on livery.

In the meantime, it probably would upset Ferrari, BUT

since Ferrari more or less 'took' Mclarens colors when Marlboro switched, and today they still have those colours, why not Mclaren do a vise versa?

meanwhile, if this ever were to happen, i'd need to changes my underwear and sheets on the reveal

"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Jolle
Jolle

Re: Apple in talks to buy McLaren

I don't get the "this will be the end of McLaren" ideas is this would come true? Is it just the hate of Apple speaking?

For the automotive branch, I get visions of a Tesla model S kind of car, but with a carbon shell, new materials on the inside and a truly unique and easy to use interface. Really the car 2.0, just like the step from HTC Tytn to iPhone.

For Apple, the costs of a F1 team is peanuts, just like it is for Mercedes or Fiat. Some bureaus have calculated the marketing value for Daimler's F1 team on 10 billion dollars.

Apple is trying to get a foot in the door on medical equipment and software, with lots of big data thoughts. McLaren is busy in the same field, using their telemetry on humans with good results.

It feels like a 1+1=3 deal and much better then another investment group.