Bottas has indeed broken an 11 year old top speed record in F1 during a race weekend

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Juzh

Bottas has indeed broken an 11 year old top speed record in F1 during a race weekend

According to THIS article, Bottas has actually beaten the maximum ever recorded speed during a race weekend this sunday in mexico, with a top speed of 372.54 kmh.

FIA speedtrap mexico 2016:
http://www.fia.com/file/49841/download?token=pw7Swwc6

Previous record was held by Raikkonen from the 2005 monza GP at 370.1 kmh.
Speed chart from that race:

As explained in the article, Montoya's infamous 372.6 kmh was not set during a race weekend, but rather at a testing session one month prior to the race. Testing does not require cars to be 100% legal and could also be used to try unusual setups not most likely to be applied to the race itself (honda's 400 kmh run in the desert as an extreme example).

So yeah, williams now hold a double record (massa also beat 2005's record) for the fastest ever top speed achieved by an F1 car in an official session :!:

edit.
To further cement this fact: https://twitter.com/OskariSaari/status/ ... 1087767552

Andres125sx

Re: Bottas has indeed broken an 11 year old top speed record in F1 during a race weekend

Speed traps are not reliable as they´re not exactly half meter before the braking point wich is the real top speed. Only telemetry can tell you the real topspeed

During the race Pedro De La Rosa explained at the spanish TV he did at Monza 05 (free practice ) 374km/h. Actually he said he still has that lap at home, I guess he meant the telemetry

But since it was not the race, it´s not official, so Montoya record that same weekend (Yes, that weekend, not sure where they got it was on a testing session, but that´s BS) still apply as the oficial record at 372.6 km/h in Monza 05 (race). If I´m forced to choose who´s more reliable, DeLaRosa who drove that car and participated in that GP, or the writer of that article looking at speedtraps, I obviously have no doubts at all :wink:

Even F1 official website say it´s Montoya´s 372 the oficial record

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/feat ... -2016.html

Andres125sx

Re: Bottas has indeed broken an 11 year old top speed record in F1 during a race weekend

I must add Mexico top speeds are impressive tough, it shows how thin is air at that altitude when they are so close to speed records while using Monaco wings :shock:

tomazy
tomazy

Andres125sx wrote:Speed traps are not reliable as they´re not exactly half meter before the braking point wich is the real top speed. Only telemetry can tell you the real topspeed

During the race Pedro De La Rosa explained at the spanish TV he did at Monza 05 (free practice ) 374km/h. Actually he said he still has that lap at home, I guess he meant the telemetry

But since it was not the race, it´s not official, so Montoya record that same weekend (Yes, that weekend, not sure where they got it was on a testing session, but that´s BS) still apply as the oficial record at 372.6 km/h in Monza 05 (race). If I´m forced to choose who´s more reliable, DeLaRosa who drove that car and participated in that GP, or the writer of that article looking at speedtraps, I obviously have no doubts at all :wink:

Didn't Williams say that Bottas hit 378 hm/h according to telemetry in Baku qualifying I think? Does qualifying count as an official seson?
https://twitter.com/WilliamsRacing/stat ... 4693046272

Juzh

Andres125sx wrote:Speed traps are not reliable as they´re not exactly half meter before the braking point wich is the real top speed. Only telemetry can tell you the real topspeed

By that logic we don't really know how fast bottas got when he recorded 372.5. But since that information is next to impossible to obtain, the only logical thing is to take the official numbers, which is the only constant troughout the years.

I love how you call out BS on someone who has done some research on the topic whereas it seems you've done none. All you've got is some hearsay rumours. It doesn't even look like you've read the article I've linked, which posts a number of sites reporting montoya's 372.6 as being set in testing.

Would not be the first time official F1.com spreads wrong information. I particularly liked this bit from this article:
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/feat ... prost.html
"faster than Kimi Raikkonen's Monza speed trap record from 2005, but just 0.1km/h shy of what Juan Pablo Montoya was clocked at at a different part of the circuit in the same race."
As if there's any other point on the circuit other than at the end of start/finish straight montoya could have set that speed.

Thanks for the downvote.

Andres125sx

Juzh wrote:I love how you call out BS on someone who has done some research on the topic whereas it seems you've done none. All you've got is some hearsay rumours.
Sorry but first hand experience from a driver who drove that same car that same weekend (so he obviously had access to telemetry) is far from a rumour :wink:

About the downvote, if you would have no votes I had not downvoted, but I felt inaccurate info does not deserve 2 upvotes. Not your fault obviously

hollus

Bottas' 378 was set in practice in Baku. It is in the article in formula1.com. So, a mis-setting of the wings, really.
I think we all agree that the records should at least be set in quali or the race?
Rivals, not enemies.

Juzh

hollus wrote:Bottas' 378 was set in practice in Baku. It is in the article in formula1.com. So, a mis-setting of the wings, really.
I think we all agree that the records should at least be set in quali or the race?
Bottas' "378" was in Q3.

hollus

Cars have gone beyond the record speed already this year - albeit only in practice and only at an unfamiliar circuit where the cars weren’t fully dialled in via simulation in the way that would usually be the case. “I think we hit 378km/h in Azerbaijan,” says Rob Smedley, Williams Head of Performance Engineering. “Would we go as quick in a race? No way. More wing!”
At least that is what it says in the piece in formula1.com linked further up.
It strongly suggests a messed up setup beyond what could happen in Q3, but I have no hard info to back it up.
Rivals, not enemies.

Juzh

It's just formula1.com being formula1.com. It's pretty silly how many things they've gotten wrong in just the past few months.

It was 100% in Q3 and onboard timing max speed recorded was 370.
https://streamable.com/5ms9

And we're back to twitter being the only source for 378. It has been discussed already why it's a moot point even if it's actually true (unlikely).

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

Probably impossible to answer, but how fast is this when applying a standard atmosphere? I.e. sea-level equivalent conditions.

hollus

Air density is abou 8% less in Mexico which very roughly translates to 8% less drag. So cut about 30 km\h from it for normal air density.
Rivals, not enemies.