The 2016 F1 WDC Title Dumpster Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
turbof1

The 2016 F1 WDC Title Dumpster Topic

The 2016 driver championship is getting to a climax with the final round in Abu Dhabi. Given how much controversy this generated and in fear it will dominate the race thread, a decision has been made to concentrate all of the title discussion in this topic. Discussion about the title itself will no longer be allowed in the race thread and will be removed there, along with a warning. The warning will be given indiscriminately no matter what the circumstances are.
#AeroFrodo

ChrisDanger

Re: The 2016 F1 WDC Title Dumpster Topic

50 pages by Monday morning?

Vasconia

ChrisDanger wrote:50 pages by Monday morning?
Perhaps too much, but we could speak with Nico and tell him to collide with Lewis. :mrgreen:

Seriousy, I hope we see a clean battle. There no reason for any of both to do something "strange".

ChrisDanger

Vasconia wrote:
ChrisDanger wrote:50 pages by Monday morning?
Perhaps too much, but we could speak with Nico and tell him to collide with Lewis. :mrgreen:

Seriousy, I hope we see a clean battle. There no reason for any of both to do something "strange".
I'm sure everything will be quite subdued. Rosberg will be looking for a safe race. If anything goes wrong it will be technical, not a racing incident.

Anything could happen though. That the thing. It's the anticipation that's the killer.

zac510

I am an extremely important individual and will be viewing from the lofty position of my living room couch, possibly even while eating a packet of crisps. Nico Rosberg will have to work hard to impress me this weekend.

(Is this how you do this thread?)

turbof1

zac510 wrote:I am an extremely important individual and will be viewing from the lofty position of my living room couch, possibly even while eating a packet of crisps. Nico Rosberg will have to work hard to impress me this weekend.

You can. I'd actually recommend it. Having the topic submerged into sarcasm, satire, cynicism and overall humor is going to be much, much better than having a jolly lot of fanboys slapping eachother with manbags. Or, how I imagine it being between iotar and GPR-A:

How they probably imagine it:
#AeroFrodo

Jolle

I just wonder what the stewards will do if Rosberg would try a sennaesque move into the first corner (obvious no braking, taking both him and HAM out)

are there rules to deduct points? or is the only way to DSQ the whole season?

by the way, I don't believe that he will :D if he's close enough to crash into him, he is already WC

ChrisDanger

Jolle wrote:if he's close enough to crash into him, he is already WC
A reminder of the 2014 season finale...
Some guy on Wikipedia wrote:On lap 23 Rosberg's troubles began, as he locked up and ran off the track at turn 17, and the following lap he reported he was losing engine power...

Over the following laps Rosberg dropped down the field...

On lap 53 he was advised over the radio to retire the car...

Rosberg ultimately finished down in 14th.
So 2nd after the first corner does not necessarily mean 2nd at the chequered flag.

WaikeCU

So I'll put this in here, because this could start a fight. :lol:

Today at the press conference, they got the question of why the crew got swapped before the season. Whereas Nico told it was the right thing to do, Lewis didn't gave a straight answer and said we should buy his book ten years down the road where it will be written what the team had explained to him why a swap of crew members was necessary.

I think this will ignite another controversy. Question would be what next year will happen. Will the team swap crew members again to stay 'competitive/focused'? If they don't, then it's clear what has happened. The reasoning of 'never change a winning formula' would not suffice.

Pierce89

turbof1 wrote:
zac510 wrote:I am an extremely important individual and will be viewing from the lofty position of my living room couch, possibly even while eating a packet of crisps. Nico Rosberg will have to work hard to impress me this weekend.

You can. I'd actually recommend it. Having the topic submerged into sarcasm, satire, cynicism and overall humor is going to be much, much better than having a jolly lot of fanboys slapping eachother with manbags. Or, how I imagine it being between iotar and GPR-A:
https://media.tenor.co/images/58ce7e43f ... 4cf17f/raw

How they probably imagine it:
https://media1.giphy.com/media/w3lAC4Nr8wy4w/200.gif
I want to upvote this soooo bad.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Fulcrum

Hamilton has already played his cards.
- "I'm in an awkward position."
- "I'm faced with pretty impossible odds."
- "I’ve basically had an injury that I’ve been carrying during all year long." - referring to his feet.
- The above example you cited.

All psychologically defensive statements, albeit rather ham-fisted, playing on the theme of being hard done by. It's not without basis, but it could also be interpreted as sulking.

Fact is though, it will work. Hamilton is extremely popular, his viewpoint will be adopted by his majority of fans and he will emerge the victor in the media whether he wins the title or not.

If he loses, the news won't be about Rosberg, it will be about how Hamilton almost defied the odds, how the current points system is unfair, conspiracies about Mercedes wanting a German winning the championship, changing the crews, poor strategy calls, disproportionate reliability issues, etc...

If he wins, it will be wall-to-wall triumphalism. The 'correct' result has been achieved. Oratory of his greatness, and so on.

One of the talking points in the media and forums concerns who would be a deserving champion. Would Rosberg be a worthy Champion if he wins? Would Hamilton? Most of the arguments conclude either would be worthy. All very PC.

I'm going to suggest neither are worthy.

Rosberg and Hamilton have lucked into the most dominant car and epoch in F1 history. Hamilton has lucked into Rosberg being his teammate, much like Vettel had Webber. This year, Rosberg has lucked into Hamilton being tripped up by that list of factual, theoretical and hypothetical issues I've already mentioned, and Hamilton hasn't been flawless in his execution of results.

With the title race being this close, and so clearly between two drivers, it should be Prost-Senna all over again, but it feels like Heidfeld vs. Petrov, a bit characterless.

Vasconia

Fulcrum wrote: With the title race being this close, and so clearly between two drivers, it should be Prost-Senna all over again, but it feels like Heidfeld vs. Petrov, a bit characterless.
Mainly because this is not a race where the ones who wins the race, wins the WC. (Well in Rosberg´s case yes). There is some excitement because anything can happen but its a cautious excitement. No comparison with 89 and 90 is possible.

Hamilton loves to use the media to play his cards. :D

Fulcrum

Vasconia wrote:
Fulcrum wrote: With the title race being this close, and so clearly between two drivers, it should be Prost-Senna all over again, but it feels like Heidfeld vs. Petrov, a bit characterless.
Mainly because this is not a race where the ones who wins the race, wins the WC. (Well in Rosberg´s case yes). There is some excitement because anything can happen but its a cautious excitement. No comparison with 89 and 90 is possible.

I was referring more to the contest over the duration of the season, not specifically this race, although I acknowledge your point.

Vasconia

Fulcrum wrote:
Vasconia wrote:

I was referring more to the contest over the duration of the season, not specifically this race, although I acknowledge your point.
True. An Alonso-Hamilton or Hamilton-Vettel/Vestappen would have been better. Though we cant complain about the level of controversy we have had this season hehe.

bauc

I just hope for some super drama during the race so we don't know who is champion till the last lap, whoever wins it will be well deserved
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg