Nico Rosberg to retire from F1 (!)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
djos

Re: Nico Rosberg to retire from F1 (!)

Manoah2u wrote:Lol, 'ol Nige' is a legend.

I wanted to say, it's the mustache, but then i rememberd Nico has none.

i do think he should bing out the 'stache though!

http://wtf1.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/20 ... stache.jpg
Keke was a dead set legend, I really hoped Nico was cast in the same mold but was sorely disappointed! :(

"In downforce we trust"

dans79

Andres125sx wrote:
zeph wrote: The middle class is really something that only became widespread in the 20th century, and the collective memory of past misdeeds by the rich against the poor is still strong, even if nobody today has personally experienced that.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You must be kidding, don´t you?
No he isn't kidding, and I tend to agree.

On this very forum (maybe last year), someone said they "hated Lewis because he was rich and didn't hide it", or something along those lines.
197 104 103 7

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

"the middle class......only became widespread in the 20th century....."
erm......hell to the no.

but as for the 'haters' for the 'flaunters' - yeah. rediculous.
they all want to be 'like him' or like their popstars,
but they don't want their popstars to have it themselves.........
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

krisfx
krisfx

NathanOlder wrote:
krisfx wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:Lewis is disliked so much in England because us English hate a winner. Like the masses of people that hate Phil Taylor or Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Just the way it is.

By the look of it, Lewis will be disliked even more next year if he has some support from a team mate.
English people don't hate a winner. They just hate English people.
Nah, everyone loves a good old underdog here. Always been like that. Whenever we get someone successful, the media get the ball rolling and give the public as many reasons to dislike that person as possible.

Still, with many disliking Lewis, I bet he has more people supporting him than any other driver on the grid.
I'm not sure, I think all English sportspeople are for the most part useless. Our best two sportsmen (British) are Andy Murray who's an utterly miserable bastard, and Hamilton who has the media on his case when he so much as picks his nose...

NathanOlder

Don't forget Rory, plus we totally dominate the Snooker table, and fare pretty well at Darts. So far from useless. You only have to look at the Medal Table in Rio to see our country punches well above its weight!
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Jolle
Jolle

NathanOlder wrote:Don't forget Rory, plus we totally dominate the Snooker table, and fare pretty well at Darts. So far from useless. You only have to look at the Medal Table in Rio to see our country punches well above its weight!
Yeah, Formula One is a bit like the Dutch/Belgium sport "Korfbal", which we dominate! It's basically a battle of British teams, with a Italian challenger and a Swiss outsider.

Or a bit like the movie "The Right Stuff", "our Germans are better then their Germans" (also funny that the Americans almost considered sending a team of NASCAR drivers into space)

Vasconia

dans79 wrote:
On this very forum (maybe last year), someone said they "hated Lewis because he was rich and didn't hide it", or something along those lines.
So he must be really loved driver in USA. :mrgreen:

I am surprised with this hate, at least the English people here on the forum seem to suppor him. Maybe it is like what happens in Spain with Alonso, where a 70% love him, and the rest hate him.

jurinius
jurinius

TAG wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:lol, Jenson has proven he is a stellar driver. One only has to watch how he held his own against well-settled Lewis @ Mclaren in 2010-2012 to notice just how good he faired.
I remember those times in 2012 when Jenson was so lost barely coming in the point while Lewis was getting wins and podiums... they wound up reverting Jenson back to Lewis' standard set up to begin to rectify his horrible performance. Jenson and Nico are two peas in a pod, each with their very own WDC.

And the sport will move on unaffected without them.
+ 1
Jenson the "gentleman racer" one of the greatest quality they found to him. He keeps his tyres much more longer than any driver in the grid :)
Nico the "humble hardworker" one of the greatest driver ability on the grid. One of the most talented one time WDC in history... :arrow:
“And suddenly I realized that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.”
― Ayrton Senna

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Well i'm going to thread some touchy grounds here, but there is also the issue of 'Racism'.
Lewis is black, and to be fair, rather the 'first' black man - afaik - to enter F1,
or at least on this level. It's a rather 'white men' dominated sport.

I think nobody in this world can say racism doesnt exist anymore - especially 'undercover racism' ('don't say, but do think').
As for 'hate crimes' against black people in the US - just look at police brutallity. Keeping in mind that there are a good amount
of 'nationalistic pride'. Let's just put it like this; there are enough 'fans' that only support a driver because he's from 'their' country.
enough flags in the crowds, obviously. Yes, it is a world championship of various nations, but you'll get the point.
Extreme nationalistic pride [which doesnt make one a nazi] in actually a multitude of cases show a presence of discrimination
against ethnicities that arent 'the nations own' so to speak.

long story short; i think there are sufficient people that dislike hamilton becuase of the color of his skin, and more when he dresses like an arab.
the other tail end though is that because he's black, all of a sudden you have a black fanbase that wasn't there before..........

Lewis has brought F1 to 'crowds' where no other driver has done before due to his skin color. Rosberg can't bring Germany anything that Schumacher
or Vettel has not been doing the past years.
For example , if Sergio Perez were to become WDC, there would be a huge rise in F1 fans/crowds and 'possibilities' in Mexico and other LatinAmerican countries,
though Fernando Alonso would have a good result there too, though he has been WDC twice before.

Same would go for an Asian driver to become WDC in F1, or a Arabic/Middle Eastern driver to participate in F1, or even become WDC.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Mandrake
Mandrake

I'm still puzzled by some of your remarks concerning the marketability of either driver. Maybe we're venturing too far into the offtopic here but how can you as "Hamilton supporter because of his skill and talent while absolutely disliking what he stands for in his 'private' life" argue that a described with the traits above is better to promote Mercedes' brand promises?

Even the line the best driver in F1 drives the best performing cars off track as well does not count as the Mercs are regularly beaten by BMWs driving pleasure machinery.

I'm looking forward to whoever is going to replace Rosberg at Mercedes. I hope they give a young talent a chance. Drivers are sitting in their top cockpits for way too long and do not make way for the many many young talents that are waiting for a spot in F1. I consider Wehrlein to be ready for that Cockpit. He proved to be quick in two completely different kinds of cars, something many drivers going the reverse way struggled with massively.

Vettel Maggot
Vettel Maggot

Manoah2u wrote:Well i'm going to thread some touchy grounds here, but there is also the issue of 'Racism'.
Lewis is black, and to be fair, rather the 'first' black man - afaik - to enter F1,
or at least on this level. It's a rather 'white men' dominated sport.

I think nobody in this world can say racism doesnt exist anymore - especially 'undercover racism' ('don't say, but do think').
As for 'hate crimes' against black people in the US - just look at police brutallity. Keeping in mind that there are a good amount
of 'nationalistic pride'. Let's just put it like this; there are enough 'fans' that only support a driver because he's from 'their' country.
enough flags in the crowds, obviously. Yes, it is a world championship of various nations, but you'll get the point.
Extreme nationalistic pride [which doesnt make one a nazi] in actually a multitude of cases show a presence of discrimination
against ethnicities that arent 'the nations own' so to speak.

long story short; i think there are sufficient people that dislike hamilton becuase of the color of his skin, and more when he dresses like an arab.
the other tail end though is that because he's black, all of a sudden you have a black fanbase that wasn't there before..........

Lewis has brought F1 to 'crowds' where no other driver has done before due to his skin color. Rosberg can't bring Germany anything that Schumacher
or Vettel has not been doing the past years.
For example , if Sergio Perez were to become WDC, there would be a huge rise in F1 fans/crowds and 'possibilities' in Mexico and other LatinAmerican countries,
though Fernando Alonso would have a good result there too, though he has been WDC twice before.

Same would go for an Asian driver to become WDC in F1, or a Arabic/Middle Eastern driver to participate in F1, or even become WDC.
You need to either put the crack pipe down or turn the computer off and get out more.

Utter drivel.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Yeah, you can ignore it all you want, it's still the cold hard truth, whether you like it or not.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Mandrake wrote:I'm still puzzled by some of your remarks concerning the marketability of either driver. Maybe we're venturing too far into the offtopic here but how can you as "Hamilton supporter because of his skill and talent while absolutely disliking what he stands for in his 'private' life" argue that a described with the traits above is better to promote Mercedes' brand promises?
because the people 'disliking' hamilton aren't really that many. people like to scream around, but it's only the loudest you hear, and generally, it's the more frustrated that are the loudest. Just think about soccer hooligans for example.
And whatever the case, Lewis IS darn bloody good and fast. And again, he's very marketable in the USA - Rosberg? not so much, if any. And Brits don't have that much with Germans either, in all fairness.
As much as they are critical of Lewis,
As much they feel proud that it's a Brit going for the WDC at the end of the day.

Andres125sx

dans79 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
zeph wrote: The middle class is really something that only became widespread in the 20th century, and the collective memory of past misdeeds by the rich against the poor is still strong, even if nobody today has personally experienced that.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You must be kidding, don´t you?
No he isn't kidding, and I tend to agree.

My comment was not related to Hamilton, but to that statement about nobody experiencing misdeeds from the rich nowadays :wink:

Andres125sx

Anycase people tend to look for reasons about some people hating some driver, like if fans would be reasonable people who only hate those who deserve being hated... :lol: :lol:

Fans are passionated people, and that involves subjectivity. You don´t need to be a racist to attack Hamilton if you support any other driver and see Hamilton like a threat to your favourite driver.

Reasonable people tend to only support his favourite driver, while some others feel the need to attack any other driver on the grid, with no reason, only because he´s not his favourite but he´s a direct rival

Fanboys don´t hate Hamilton because he´s black, fanboys hate hamilton because they´re fanboys. Ok there must be some racist out there, period, but most people critizicing Hamilton do it only because they´re fanboys. Same for any other driver. Color skin, nationality, personality, those are only excuses to attack/hate/bash any rival of your favourite