F1 Driver in VR

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FW17

F1 Driver in VR

It is great Antonio Giovinazzi has found a place at Ferrari as a 3rd driver. While it is unfortunate that Ferrari does not have a 2nd team it is still good news.

With testing banned the new reserve driver will be doing sim work for the team, mostly Kimi's portion I guess.

With a race seat being a remote chance for next season, along with many of the other reserve drivers, I have the following questions.

1) Should the 3rd driver travel to every race just to sit in for the engineering briefings? ha can do through the video connect teams use with factory.

2) Will it not be more useful for the 3rd driver to be in the simulator during the sessions of the race weekend, by driving the car at the same time as the race drivers based on telemetry data provided by the race car and track data? Will he then be able to contribute more based on his driving of the car in simulator at the briefings?

3) Can the current simulator be used for racing using the data from the race as it is ongoing? This will give the team a 3rd car in the virtual race which they could use to try a strategy situation, at the same time validating the skill of the driver in racing situations of an ongoing race. Only problem would be the AI cars defending will not be in accordance to their current on track behavior.

zac510
zac510

Re: F1 Driver in VR

I don't imagine that they are simulating racing/passing other cars in the simulator. I think they'd just be testing variations of front wing and tyre pressure based on the latest information from the circuit, like track temp, fuel levels, tyre wear, etc to tell them what kind of laptime they could do if they were in free air, or if they made a particular choice at the pit stop.