RB claims Mercedes uses forbidden oil-mix

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
seezung
seezung

RB claims Mercedes uses forbidden oil-mix

More info on amus:
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 28316.html
The FIA responded to the dispute with a new directive. In the circular dated February 24, the World Federation once again made it clear that oil as a benzine additive is prohibited at any timeVideo Superertest Lamborghini Huracán of the weekend.

"We've never done it." Teamchef Toto Wolff shook his head: "Even before the season starts, some teams already see a lot of ghosts. It was always clear that oil should not be in the gasoline."

dans79

Re: RB claims Mercedes uses forbidden oil-mix

short of espionage, I'd like to know how RBR came to that conclusion.
197 104 103 7

Quantum

dans79 wrote:short of espionage, I'd like to know how RBR came to that conclusion.
Deflection. Deception.

This has all the classical hallmarks of flustering your stronger opponent. The strategy could be deployed to create chaos amongst the authorities, all the while Red Bull's suspension can be used unabated.

Sun Tzu would be proud.
"Interplay of triads"

Sonador
Sonador

they do smoke a fair bit when exiting the pitgarage, Always wonderd why the Mercs did that.
If it is true, it wil be interresting. what they wil do about it?

But there is also the element of sour grapes between RB and Merc for a while, so i take everything with a pinch of salt over these type of things.

Sonador
Sonador

Maybe this stil hurts over @ Rb:

dans79

Quantum wrote:
dans79 wrote:short of espionage, I'd like to know how RBR came to that conclusion.
Deflection. Deception.

This has all the classical hallmarks of flustering your stronger opponent. The strategy could be deployed to create chaos amongst the authorities, all the while Red Bull's suspension can be used unabated.

Sun Tzu would be proud.
My response would be prove it, and they would have to drop it or incriminate themselves or someone else.
197 104 103 7

roon
roon

What's that about efficiency? Nah, these were just oil-petrol hybrids the whole time. 8)

How do you make an exceptionally efficient internal combustion engine? Same way you'd make a low-emissions VW diesel engine.

Via very clever interpretation of the rules.

hemichromis
hemichromis

If you read the article, the only quote is from Wolff. no quote from Horner or anybody else at red bull

SiLo

I believe the current theory is they are letting oil seep up through the piston rings. Although surely this wouldn't be a great seal for the piston and you could get a huge pressure increase in the crank case if the seal isn't good enough?
Felipe Baby!

sosic2121
sosic2121

SiLo wrote:I believe the current theory is they are letting oil seep up through the piston rings. Although surely this wouldn't be a great seal for the piston and you could get a huge pressure increase in the crank case if the seal isn't good enough?
If they were doing it that way, there would be no way of controlling it.
But accusation is that they can make huge power during qualifying.
Could there be an additive in oil which evaporate, and goes through breather pipes into the engine?

SiLo

I'm not sure, I think if you add oil it helps stop detonation, but thats for running the car really lean rather than rich making more power.
Felipe Baby!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

RedBull can't stand someone doing a better job than them so they're making up stories. It's got Horner and Marko written all over it.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

strad

SiLo wrote:
I believe the current theory is they are letting oil seep up through the piston rings. Although surely this wouldn't be a great seal for the piston and you could get a huge pressure increase in the crank case if the seal isn't good enough?
They have been running low tension rings for quite some time.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

djos

I havent seen a single direct quote from RBR so I call BS, someone is making mischief - RedBull dont hide their opinions, they state them in public.
"In downforce we trust"

The_table

SiLo wrote:I'm not sure, I think if you add oil it helps stop detonation, but thats for running the car really lean rather than rich making more power.
Would this allow them to run higher boost pressures?