Tyre war, yes or no??

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
OneAlex

Re: Tyre war, yes or no??

Under Bernie a new tyre war didn't seem to be an option, unless you counted the backroom war to see which company would pay the most to be the sole supplier.

Now that he's out... I don't know. Pirelli deserve some flack for sure for creating tyres with such narrow operating windows, but at the same time, that's what the sport asked of them, and we're already complaining that it's going in the other direction. I can't see other companies wanting to take up the cost for that much potential bad PR, especially when no one knows what the future tyre requirements will be (wheel size, engine power etc).

Personally I think this whole problem has been amplified ever since they got rid of refuelling but needed a way to make cars pit because they're not designed to pass each other enough on track.

skoop

Manoah2u wrote:by the way this is going, i think people are only going to be satisfied if all f1 drivers just ditch their cars and run 50 laps on the track with an image of an f1 car on their overalls and then who comes in first wins (duh).
So it is a shoe formula?

ESPImperium

Tyre war, always count me in, however if there is a new tyre war, the wheel diameter in F1 needs looked at and also the Tyre rules need looked at as well.

I have always thought lugging 20 odd sets of tyres around per car for a weekend is a failure in economy. Ive always thought that 12 would be a much better idea, with every car getting 2 sets of mediums at every race event and then the teams being able to select the 4 other dry sets for the entire weekend at their wish. As for wet and inters, the teams get 3 of each with a 4th of each given if theres a Austin 2015 weekend to start the race on. As for the wheel diameter, it needs to be made more like 15 inch now, maybe 16 inch as the present 13.3 inch diameter has ran its course, and F1 needs to change in that area. The other change id also do is for the tyres to be given to drivers without tyre warmers, they have to warm them up themselves, so quail runs become longer, and a pit stop is a greater penalty.

Basically i would like tyres that can last enough to make the average pitstops per race a 1.5 or a 2.5 stopper where its either do a Pirelli or go full on Bridgestone in terms of driving. Teams also need to have all tyre sensors barring pressure sensors to be outlawed as this then gives the driver back more control, and the driver with the best feel will come out top, hopefully.