Watching F1 in 3D

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
gold333
gold333

Watching F1 in 3D

Does anyone know if, how or where to watch F1 in 3D? OU, SBS or native?

3D projectors are suprisingly bright and affordable nowadays.

Even watching them in 2D on a 300inch screen kind of gives you the feel of being trackside, but 3D would finish it.

I guess it depends if they are shot in 3D natively or if a broadcaster performs 3D layering in post. Might need to just enable 2D content to 3D upscaling on your device/pc.

I haven't tried it yet, anyone have experience?
F1 car width now 2.0m (same as 1993-1997). Lets go crazy and bring the 2.2m cars back (<1992).

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Re: Watching F1 in 3D

F1 is not ever shot in 3D, so there is no 3D possible, and i don't expect it to happen in the very near future and since 3D tech has been a game of coming and going,
i can foresee it never happening in F1.

so it's only in 2D, that's it. and there is no broadcaster that has 3D layering, as FOM doesn't have NOR allow that.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Facts Only
Facts Only

gold333 wrote:Does anyone know if, how or where to watch F1 in 3D?
Silverstone?
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

nevill3

I believe Sky tried 3D at the winter tests in 2013 but it appears that ultra HD has overtaken 3D in popularity.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

gold333
gold333

Thanks. I think I'll try upscaling some 1080p Sky coverage to 3D on device (software and hardware) and report back.
F1 car width now 2.0m (same as 1993-1997). Lets go crazy and bring the 2.2m cars back (<1992).

rich1701
rich1701

TV manufacturers are ending 3D tv production. The technology is dead.

gold333
gold333

rich1701 wrote:TV manufacturers are ending 3D tv production. The technology is dead.
IMAX 3D cinemas are still as available as ever and home entertainment projectors that are 3D are still being released as of this month.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

gold333 wrote:
rich1701 wrote:TV manufacturers are ending 3D tv production. The technology is dead.
IMAX 3D cinemas are still as available as ever and home entertainment projectors that are 3D are still being released as of this month.
movies are different than tv shows.

also, people are already complaining about 3D cinemas. The 'problem' is, that a lot of cinemas nowadays are shoving 3D down your throat as you don't have much option to see it otherwise.

I follow quite an amount of movie news about a grand variety of movies, and the common reactien on about 80% of the people and movie-goers is that they prefer seeing IMAX, and not 3D. They even prefer seeing IMAX instead of IMAX 3D.
not only is the 3D glasses always a pain in the rear as it's annyoing, you can't focus well and its tiresome for the eyes,
whereas you don't have that problem with IMAX.

3D tv's are being sold as there has been made a multiple-year market for it, and a certain type of television technology will and MUST be sold to 'earn back' the investment made for the technology. If you can afford a decent 3D TV at home, you can afford a quality set of 3D glasses, and then it's rather different. Most people that i know that have this stuff, don't actually watch 3D movies, but watch 3D concerts and 3D documentaries. But the actual fact is, they hardly do that more than once a month, the rest of the time, it's normal TV.

So the above posters are right about that 3D is dying and will once again fade into oblivion, just like it did a couple of decades ago. It's far-far from new.

As with the VR technology. Not new at all either, and will fade away just as soon.

Which brings us again to the point made before: there will NEVER be 3D formats for F1 (live) broadcasting.
i will state that with the fullest to the fullest confidence. Never. Ever.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

strad

Manoah2u:
You know I hate to agree :lol: but the 3D gives me a headache.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

The_table

As with the VR technology. Not new at all either, and will fade away just as soon.
We have Facebook,HTC, Google, Samsung,Sony all investing in VR, the latter three are providing pretty cheap solutions that work moderately well and this is only V1, i find it hard to believe that they would simply drop VR.

Most reviewers agree that proper VR is one incredible experience so if they can make that affordable there is no reason that people would opt out.

The problem with 3D tv's was lack of content and a flawed design, it's weird to watch your own Tv wearing goggles and watching a smaller screen kind of breaks the immersion that 3D offers.
The effect itself was kind of ruined by the darkening effect that those glasses have, i've seen plenty of 3D movies in the cinema and that aspect of it is HORRIBLE....

Gaming is the largest entertainment industry in the world, if they keep making VR sets for their platforms then many people will own these and that will create a market for 3D content.

gold333
gold333

This is INSANE :)

I didn't think it was possible but you CAN watch F1 in 3D.

Usually I use a 3D projector for lifesize Nvidia 3D Vision wallgaming and 3D movies in my man cave.

But I found out that we can use something like PowerDVD 16 to upscale recorded content from 2D to 3D. Even content not shot in native 3D.

Because F1 footage is geometrically very simple it works amazingly well! The interaxial and convergence you can adjust so that it has lifelike depth on your screen size. The shots below were before I found out you can set it even higher.

Toyification is amazing, the cars really look like hyper realistic little 1:18 scale cars going round in your room. Sky F1's on screen graphics also pop out close to you, infront of the cars like you can touch it.

The Ultra HD resolution this year also helps to sharpen up the 3D nicely.

These images won't mean much without glasses but it shows the essence. The confetti shot at the end really looks like you're there in it. The barstool is for scale. I'm looking around to install Atmos next so that the sound will also be realistic.

But for anyone wondering if watching F1 in 3D is possible, it sure is. Every race has become like a popcorn and beer film premiere for all my F1 mates.

MathewsRodriguez
MathewsRodriguez

I guess i heard it just 4K but nothing.
Do tell me how it can be watched in 3d

ChrisM40
ChrisM40

Most 3D TVs can fake 3D, and while not as good as native 3D its not bad for F1, since it picks out the cars really well.

It will never be broadcast as 3D again though, as has been said 3D at home is basically dead.

FW17

Formula E does some VR coverage, maybe liberty will bring the same to F1 and have it available online

The_table

That's cool :D , what projector do you use and did you watch it in realtime or do you have to convert the footage to 3D before watching it or can you do it on the fly? (and what 3D glasses did you use?)