Honda Power Unit Complaints

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Is there too little technical discussion occuring in the Honda PU thread?

Yes
30%
No
10%
GP2 engine
19%
120hp
10%
Vibration
10%
Japanese work culture
9%
Third season!
13%

Total votes: 135

Andres125sx

Re: Honda Power Unit Complaints

Thank you Manoah2u :)

zac510
zac510

I don't think it's fair to blame the FIA. Only with hindsight can you blame the FIA. Nobody at any time prior to testing of 2014, that I can recall, thought that the rules were bad at all. The equalisation of the V8s worked so well and all engine makers - Ferrari, Mercedes and Renault - seemed so professional that nobody thought they'd do anything but create new V6 hybrid engines of an equally high standard and competitiveness with the new rules.
I'm not doubting that the rules were short-sighted, but at the time we had a lot of faith in the 3 manufacturers and no reason to doubt the rules.

Andres125sx

zac510 wrote:
02 Apr 2017, 13:09
I don't think it's fair to blame the FIA. Only with hindsight can you blame the FIA. Nobody at any time prior to testing of 2014, that I can recall, thought that the rules were bad at all.
I did. What I said in my previous post was my tought when Honda annouced his F1 return. I was really surprised how any manucturer could dare to enter a competition with a experience dissadvantage on complex hybrid PUs wich development is seriously restricted by tokens. My first tough was: wow, they´re brave!

And I still think they are, but the usual timeschedule for manufacturers to develop a new concept can´t be applied here, this is the first completely new PU they design after acquiring some experience, and the first they include TJI, wich as they stated theirselves is new to them so teethering problems were to be expected even before winter tests

But thankfully this season there´re no token restrictions, only allocations, so for next allocation they can do whatever they need to solve that unexpected problem from a new concept for them. I don´t see the drama, we need to be patient and see how next allocation performs

Selvariabell

Why is there no option for Fart Can and RICER?
"There's been more people who have gone to the moon than there has been multiple world champions, well done."
- Red Bull​ team radio to Vettel, Japan 2011

Phil

loner wrote:
28 Mar 2017, 06:22
Wazari hinted about a Williams Honda maybe it shows lots of intense between Mclaren and Honda
i personally eager to see a Williams Honda with Alonso, obviously mclaren can't afford his wages and he won't accept to be a mercedes satellite driver.
I'd be quite hesitant to even touch that Honda PU with a stick if I were Williams. That might be a bit harsh, but Williams is where they are today largely thanks to having that Mercedes PU in 2014 when pretty much all other teams within the midfield went backwards fighting with uncompetitive Ferrari and Renault engines, when it propelled Williams to 3rd place and even the odd race where they were race win challengers. The Honda PU might have a lot of potential, but that potential hasn't meant squat these last 2 years to McLaren.

Honda, unfortunately, have a lot to prove before they can get the trust of these teams. McLaren are stuck with them. Williams, from what I understand, are (thankfully) not in the position where they have to fight over cheaper engines. They seem quite healthy sponsorship wise and this year could mean they finish 4th and retain a position at the front of the midfield. William-Honda only sounds nice if they have some form of success with this partnership. Looking at McLaren, it just doesn't seem like a risk that makes sense. For what? Just on the prestige of a partnership that has long faded?

I could see Sauber becoming the next team supplied by Honda, but I'd honestly rather see them team up with Mercedes (speaking as a somewhat Sauber fan who wants to see this team go forwards again).
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

loner

we can go on for a million years like this, rinse and repeat
tokens only exist to win Mercedes trophies
i hate to defend Honda coz they don't give me money :mrgreen: but they are not a small company iam sure they will be competitive this exact year of 2017 before the season end.
para bellum.

Selvariabell

loner wrote:
06 Apr 2017, 14:43
we can go on for a million years like this, rinse and repeat
tokens only exist to win Mercedes trophies
i hate to defend Honda coz they don't give me money :mrgreen: but they are not a small company iam sure they will be competitive this exact year of 2017 before the season end.
So you like Mercedes because they give you money? Wow, such a sellout.
"There's been more people who have gone to the moon than there has been multiple world champions, well done."

roon
roon

bump

Santozini
Santozini

"I've never raced with less power in my life"

this is not my complaint guys, it's actually from Alonso in case you missed it. :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

nzjrs

Can we please add, 1) wazari was an imposter, 2) mercedes will have to help honda

Selvariabell

Please add RICER.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

zac510 wrote:
02 Apr 2017, 13:09
I don't think it's fair to blame the FIA. Only with hindsight can you blame the FIA. Nobody at any time prior to testing of 2014, that I can recall, thought that the rules were bad at all. The equalisation of the V8s worked so well and all engine makers - Ferrari, Mercedes and Renault - seemed so professional that nobody thought they'd do anything but create new V6 hybrid engines of an equally high standard and competitiveness with the new rules.
I'm not doubting that the rules were short-sighted, but at the time we had a lot of faith in the 3 manufacturers and no reason to doubt the rules.
Only with hindsight? Not only, with hindsight you can blame Honda for not choosing 'the right path'. But that same goes for FIA, that gave us 2 full miserable years of absolutely retarded token systems, which resulted in Mercedes having a ginormeous advantage, and Renault in a complete mess, which destroyed their relationship with RedBull. If we were to look into that, then FIA has destroyed both Renault and Honda for that matter, and then i'm not even mentioning Ferrari wasn't in best of shapes either.
Mercedes did their job better for 2014, sure. But the problem was that there was no way Renault or Ferrari could advance thanks to the rediculous token system. Remove the token system and all of a sudden Ferrari is right there with Mercedes. Renault is still slightly behind somehow and then there's Honda. The problem with Honda is exactly like Andres125sx has mentioned.
Whilst Ferrari and Mercedes and Renault were working on that unit years prior to 2014, Honda only became an option or motivated when the relationship with Mercedes and Mclaren ended, and Mclaren somehow convinced Honda to step in.

When Honda concidered stepping in, they were already atleast a year behind, probably more compared to the competition, and add to that, that all along, the competition was participating in F1 whilst Honda wasn't.

Then Honda misfired with their intitial engine prototype and saw them needing to fix that under the token system = impossible. Then next year it went a lot better but then also not, still, under the token system.

They decided to go with a totally different design this time around, only this is the first time you can't directly blame the token system - mind you, FIA's sins compile of more than just the token system , but let's focus on this right now - though indirectly, they had their hands tied in 2015 and 2016 thanks to exactly that, and lost precious time.

So really, this time around is really the only time you can really look at Honda, and that's exactly what's happening. Meanwhile, Mclaren has put enormeous pressure on Honda and we're going to find out in a couple of races what the result will be.

Let's hope it will be a mighty result, but keep in mind that that result must be made despite the FIA's rediculous system, which includes the last 3 years of token system nonsense.

Because however you put it, like claiming 'yeah but Merc and Fer and Ren also had the token system', is shortsighted, as that may be true, but Honda still was years behind to that and also had that token system issue. Ferrari, Renault and Mercedes had a couple of years more of development under their belt than Honda, and i'm 100% sure that their V6 engines were already steadily under development somewhere in 2012 for sure, not so much for Honda.

which means that you could wonder in what shape the Merc engine would have been if you catapulted that to the track mid 2012 or early 2013 in a hurry. That's what we're seeing at Honda.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

zac510
zac510

I don't see how your post in any way refutes my point about blame by hindsight.
If you could link me to any internet posts or something by your good self, dated the year 2013 which pointed out the short sightedness of the 2014 engine rules then you would be on some way to refuting my post, but as it is you've just posted a short history of events since 2014.

Webber2011
Webber2011

One of my biggest complaints is that there's so many people still wondering if Wazari is actually who he claims to be.

I've been in touch with him many times, and it's more of a friendship than anything else due to his daughter's battle with cancer.

Never have I pestered him for some information that no one else would know.
Never have I felt the need to, but he's been very open with me, and often said things that only turn up here on the forum a little later.

I've never posted those things either, simply out if respect for our friendship.

I think there's been a lot of members here who haven't shown respect, both in the comments they've made concerning Wazari's integrity, and how some have continually harassed him for information he obviously can't share.

I find it incredible that a technical forum would drive away an insider.

That's all, rant over.

isullivan
isullivan

“It is mindblowing, the engine is a piece of jewellery. They are further ahead than expected. The competiveness of the engine is without question.”