Politics in F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
dans79

Politics in F1

As expected, since Ferrari can't out develop their opponents, they have to play the BS politics card. Personally I hope Merc still pounds them into the ground.
197 104 103 7

ferkan

Re: 2017 Formula 1 suspension designs

dans79 wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 07:56

As expected, since Ferrari can't out develop their opponents, they have to play the BS politics card. Personally I hope Merc still pounds them into the ground.
Everything is pretty clear in this case. Better hope Merc is not doing something funky with oil and combustion in Q3.

Mr.G

ferkan wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 08:24
dans79 wrote:

Everything is pretty clear in this case. Better hope Merc is not doing something funky with oil and combustion in Q3.
Exactly :)
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

AbbaleRacing77

dans79 wrote:
I don't think its ridiculous that Ferrari want to make sure they are playing by the same rules.

CBeck113

dans79 wrote:
You're pretty offended by this, aren't you? Thank god Mercedes never did anything "special" to gain an advantage (coughtiretestcough), and that no other teams have question any rules (coughredbullengineoilburningcough). Please curb your fanboyism during technical discussions - thank you.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

santos

dans79 wrote:
A member of this forum, so well rated as you... i didn't expect a comment like this.

dans79

CBeck113 wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 15:45
You're pretty offended by this, aren't you?
Nope, not at all. I find the way that Ferrari went about it sad and pitiful. For a team that hasn't won either championship in a decade, the word desperate is the first thing that comes to mind.
CBeck113 wrote:
Thank god Mercedes never did anything "special" to gain an advantage (coughtiretestcough),
it's off topic, but you forgot an FIA officially signed off on it, and then the FIA changed its mind later.
CBeck113 wrote:
and that no other teams have question any rules (coughredbullengineoilburningcough).
I see these as different, RBR has the guts to come out in the open and say we think this is going on and we want it investigated. They didn't hide behind some antiquated political letter.
Last edited by dans79 on 23 Mar 2017, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.
197 104 103 7

dans79

santos wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 17:05
A member of this forum, so well rated as you... i didn't expect a comment like this.
I detest cowardice, and that is what I see Ferrari's method of bringing up the topic as. The protest framework exists for this exact reason. If you think your opponents aren't following the rules, you step up and make it clear that you think they are breaking rule X.
197 104 103 7

ferkan

dans79 wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 17:15
santos wrote:
I detest cowardice, and that is what I see Ferrari's method of bringing up the topic as. The protest framework exists for this exact reason. If you think your opponents aren't following the rules, you step up and make it clear that you think they are breaking rule X.
Lol and who sent FIA to check in Maranallo if there is anything funky going on with Haas loophole? Montezemelo or Merc/RBR? Acting like this is anything out of the ordinary. Get a grip man.

Btw it wasnt a protest. It was "inquiry" that obviously had merit.

santos

dans79 wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 17:15
santos wrote:
Rules must be the same for everyone. And if a team, any team, thinks it is something that is not so clear, asking for a clarification of the rules is not cowardice. It's a right they have. It is not the first time a team asks for clarification, and it is not just Ferrari who asked for it. And if the system does not really fit into the regulation, it would be cowardly not to report it.

Big Mangalhit

dans79 wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 17:09
CBeck113 wrote:
You're pretty offended by this, aren't you?
Nope, not at all. I find the way that Ferrari went about it sad and pitiful. For a team that hasn't won either championship in over a decade, the word desperate is the first thing that comes to mind.
CBeck113 wrote:
Thank god Mercedes never did anything "special" to gain an advantage (coughtiretestcough),
it's off topic, but you forgot an FIA officially signed off on it, and then the FIA changed its mind later.
CBeck113 wrote:
and that no other teams have question any rules (coughredbullengineoilburningcough).
I see these as different, RBR has the guts to come out in the open and say we think this is going on and we want it investigated. They didn't hide behind some antiquated political letter.
Actually Ferrari sent a letter asking clarification because they wanted to pursue the same suspension. Then the FIA said it was illegal. The rest is just press and people's interpretation (that ferrari did that to make the others' suspension illegal).

It would be way worse if the FIA had told Ferrari they couldn't develop that kind of suspension and then let other teams compete with that concept

AnotherAlex

dans79 wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 17:09
I think you have that backwards - Red Bull insinuated that Mercedes were burning oil as a fuel additive, resulting in widely publicised gossip on the subject, and when they didn't get the outcome they wanted, they wrote to the FIA "to seek clarification".
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red- ... 80005/?s=1

Ferrari seeking clarification on the suspension design well before the pre-season test, giving themselves and others time to react to the FIA's pronouncements, was positively gentlemanly by comparison.

dans79

Big Mangalhit wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 17:33
Actually Ferrari sent a letter asking clarification because they wanted to pursue the same suspension. Then the FIA said it was illegal. The rest is just press and people's interpretation (that ferrari did that to make the others' suspension illegal).

It would be way worse if the FIA had told Ferrari they couldn't develop that kind of suspension and then let other teams compete with that concept
Something is still very shady.

If I asked you is this concept of mine legal, what would prompt you to decide that you should inspect every other competitors car?

In general I hate all the F1 politics, as it's always slimy and self serving.
197 104 103 7

dans79

AnotherAlex wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 17:34
Ferrari seeking clarification on the suspension design well before the pre-season test, giving themselves and others time to react to the FIA's pronouncements, was positively gentlemanly by comparison.
That makes no sense to me personally. If I think you (generalized you) are cheating, I'm not going to give you a way to weasel out of it. I'd be doing everything in my power to ensure you receive the maximum amount of punishment possible.
197 104 103 7

FrukostScones

dans79 wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 17:46
AnotherAlex wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 17:34
That makes no sense to me personally. If I think you (generalized you) are cheating, I'm not going to give you a way to weasel out of it. I'd be doing everything in my power to ensure you receive the maximum amount of punishment possible.
So you think there is no case? FIA is acting as Ferrari International Assistance? Oh man.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.