Track XYZ data

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ModelT
ModelT

Track XYZ data

I was thinking to try and do some of my own simulation of the cars and tracks this year, just to see how many miles wide of the mark I am!..ha ha.

Any ideas where I can find the XYZ data for the tracks? I know I can find the maps, but that is only a flat dimension and no elevation. Just trying to as realistic as I can.

Hopefully someone may know and thanks in advance. :D =D>

Tim.Wright

Re: Track XYZ data

Google maps lets you map out a course along which you can view the elevation. Unfortunately you can't extract altitude numerically like you can with lat and lon data. In the past I've taken a screenshot and then traced over it point by point in excel then merged it with lat long data in matlab and then converted everything to xyz. A fair bit of work but the results are quite reasonable.
Not the engineer at Force India

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

Two possible methods, depending on how you want to approach it.

You can download race tracks from racing games, import them into some 3D program, and extract the data from there. (Check out nogripracing.com, which has a subforum on track conversion/creation and downloads of F1 tracks for many different games.)

You also might be able to run a few laps with a Motec equipped sim (like rFactor) and extract the GPS data of your racing line.

mertol

Tracks are mostly fudged in racing games. Especially if you rely on mods like rfactor. You should do it in a game with laser scanned tracks like iracing or assetto corsa. In iracing you could use the telemetry to get indirect readings on XYZ by integrating XYZ acceleration. But you won't find scanned many of the F1 tracks anywhere.