2007 driver-lineup

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
DaveKillens

When it was publicly announced that McLaren had signed Alonso, Montoya saw the writing on the wall, that he was on the way out. And it's no secret he's been shopping with other teams. But I think his options within f1 were limited. He most probably only wanted to go to a competitive team, and that's where he didn't get and offers that were acceptable.
And who are the teams considered competitive? The ones that have a realistic chance of running up front? Ferrari? It all depends on Shu, if he stays, he definitely won't go along with a teammate who does anything but support him. In fact, Massa may be on the way out of Ferrari, He did too well at Indy. And Kimi most likely is slated to fill Shu's seat, once he leaves. So Montoya to Ferrari seems improbable, we're just not going to see him as Michael's bitch, or as a teammate to Kimi again.
Renault havee some kind of driver plan in place, with Fisi in one seat, and Kimi or Heikki in the other.
Both Honda and Williams appear to be satisfied with the current driver stable, and won't change drivers. And Toyoya must be smarting from the Ralf experience, paying so much money for a driver with a spotty record, a few wins, but no sign that they will ever improve, or even be able to put forward 100% each and every race.
So to me, it appears none of the big teams have any interest in Montoya at this time.
So Montoya talks to his old buddy Ginassi, and a deal is made. Ginasssi could use a big name driver, and if he swings to Toyota next season, it's all good stuff. Montoya gets to live in Miami closer to his family, and in a culture closer to his heart. He will get to race almost each weekend, in a moch higher level of intensity and competiveness. And don't forget just a few years ago he and Jeff Gordon swapped cars for one day at Indy, on a pr exercise. So he has a basic understanding of what a stock car is.
JPM has a lot of fans in the USA, from his CART days. Going back to there will re-energize that fan base, and he will make millions selling T-shirts and such to the fans.

Scuderia_Russ

DaveKillens wrote:In fact, Massa may be on the way out of Ferrari, He did too well at Indy.
:?: :?
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

zac510

I hope Liuzzi keeps his seat or a seat. I rate him, my favourite rookie (even though I know he did a couple of races last year!).

Crabbia

I think the general way ferrari have operated with regards to driver line up is Schu in front. That much we know.

The choice of second driver has always been someone of talent but also with an keen sense of how the car is working and a little technical. Someone who can talk to the engineers and give them a good idea of what is happening with the car and suggest changes he'd like implemented.

Take irvine, pretty quick although not astounding. But he wouldn't hold back if he was uncomfortable in a car and new how to talk to engineers so as to get the car hooked up.

Barri, not blindinly fast but recently has been giving jense the shaft. the reason, it's taen him this long to settle into the car and get the engineers to set the car up as he likes it.

Massa, ferrari test driver for two years. need i say more...

My point is always have a somewhat sensitve driver as a second, and from what i've heard kimi just gets in and drives its ass with little or no usefull feedback.

Don't get me wrong that cold ass fin in my opinion is the quickest driver out there bar none but he's not a complete driver. he doesn't have the race smarts that MS or FA have.

But i think MS is sh*tting like a cement truck cause he knows, like the rest of the world, if Kimi had to come to ferrari, at this stage of his career, he'd demolish him.

DC is a good development driver and for that reason and the fact that he's not that imposing to MS makes a lot more sense to me.

only thing is that would leave ferrari with two 'old' drivers and therefore less consistency going forward, an intangible asset, i feel, that has led them to be so competitive this past decade so i don't think they'd go for that either...
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

Principessa

http://www.f1technical.net/news/3820

The newest rumour about drivers switching teams.
I think it's possible that Zonta moves to Renault as test driver but not as third driver. I think that Nelsinho Piquet will get that seat. Montagny moving to Toyota....I don't really have an idea about this. Is it realistic or not? I can't say.

dumrick

Montagny really deserves a F1 drive, though... it was remarkable how close he was from Sato in the SA05 with a lot more weight, poorer CG and a lot less km's driven in that car...