Tobacco Ads....

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Tobacco Ads....

Sort of an unimportant question.....Renault is running Mild Seven at Hungaro ring, while Ferrari is running the Marlboro "stripes" without the actual wording like they did for the other non-tobacco race. Any specific reason or they just didn't re-stickered the car between the one week traveling....

I remember in 2004 when I went to Canadian GP and Indy back to back Renault did the re-stickering from non-Tobacco Canada to the Tobacco US on Wed afternoon. Ferrari don't run Tobacco in both of those races since they can't in US(for the reason of Penske)....

manchild
manchild

Perhaps their contract with Marlboro expired?

f1.redbaron

The barcode is the new Marlboro.

I think that the reason why they don't run Marlboro ads anymore is that they want the public to really start associating the barcode with the Marlboro brand.

But, yeah, you're right about the situation in the US.

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

I thought at some other races Ferrari actually ran the wording of Marlboro though this year. Bahrain/Malaysia perhaps?

bhall
bhall

Ferrari ran full-branded at Monaco, too.

andyF1

It's actually to do with whether the specific brand of ciggaretts is sold in a country.

So as Mild Seven is sold in Asia / Japan but not in Europe they are allowed to run the name. Whereas Marlboro is sold in Europe so the "non tobaco" advertising events mean Marlboro = barcode.
ofc then there are even more complex rules but the above is the main thing.

m3_lover

Currently, Seiko have agreed to sponsor Honda (previously known as BAR (British American Racing) Honda). The Seiko name cannot currently be found on the Honda racing cars because Seiko Japan refuse to be advertised whilst the names of tobacco companies are still appearing on the cars. They can, however, be found on the lollipop used in the pitlane.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

zenvision

i've heard suggestions from morris that instead of branding ferrari with malboro livery at races, they are thinking of branding marlboro packages with ferrari logo. i think its a very astute and out-of-the-box thinking by them if it happens. maybe someone who smokes the marlboros should be able to tell us if they started already working on this
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build good engines" Enzo Ferrari

Tom

Well if it gets rid of logos on the side of the cars that can only be good.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

zac510
zac510

zenvision wrote:. maybe someone who smokes the marlboros should be able to tell us if they started already working on this
I don't smoke but I've seen Ferrari F1 branded cigarette packets. It didn't have the Ferrari logo but it had an artistic image of a red F1 car on the packet. The packet was all red and the connection with Ferrari F1 was made immediately. Intelligent marketing.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Each nation has it's own specific laws for or against tobacco advertising. And thus, we can see different livery between races. Tobacco companies and associated teams are very aware of this trend, and have to walk a fine line. So many are moving away from just the words, and instead using patterns and colors, like Ferrari and Marboro. People learn to associate one with the other.
This is also one contributing factor in why we see less GP's in Europe, and more in places like Asia. If you have less stringent anti tobacco advertising laws, it pleases the tobacco advertisers.

mini696

I am yet to see a Marlboro pack with anything resembling Ferrari or F1.

bhall
bhall

Speaking of tobacco ads, here's Honda's livery for China. It's now branded for 555. And it's one ugly son-of-a...

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Re: Tobacco Ads....

RacingManiac wrote:Sort of an unimportant question.....Renault is running Mild Seven at Hungaro ring, while Ferrari is running the Marlboro "stripes" without the actual wording like they did for the other non-tobacco race. Any specific reason or they just didn't re-stickered the car between the one week traveling....

I remember in 2004 when I went to Canadian GP and Indy back to back Renault did the re-stickering from non-Tobacco Canada to the Tobacco US on Wed afternoon. Ferrari don't run Tobacco in both of those races since they can't in US(for the reason of Penske)....
Some tobaccco counries have exclusive agreements and compensation packages with countries, that other tobaccco companies do not have. For example, the US Master Settlement Agreement obligates some companies, while others are more free to advertise.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_Set ... _Agreement

As far as the new livery on the Hondas, blue is quite different. But the fit and overall visual package on Jenson Buttton just doesn't work, he looks horrrible in it. He's got a long torso, and it stands out.