114 races ??

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
vyselegend

djones wrote:He did well I will admit that, but the fact he won was luck in my opinion.

Look at it this way... If the conditions were 'normal' and either Kimi, Alonso or Schumacher had finished would he have won?

I think not.
Race are always shaped by luck, if you go this way. Of course, without the safty car, he had no chance to challenge Alonso for the win, and even so, without the broken wheelnut, it wouldn't have been easy, because he still had to pit one more time, but the fact is there was a safety car out there, and there was a problem on the Renault, and that's part of the race.

Alonso won in Nurburgring 2005, didn't he? And Raikonen won in Canada 2005 as well. In both cases this was due to the misfortune of their opponents, but history only remember the results...

He started 14th with engine penality, and we all know the Honda is still not ready to challenge Ferrari, Renault and Mac Laren on race pace. So this win is the result of a very clean driving, exempted of any sort of mistakes, with a strong strategy from the team. He pushed when he had to and kept his car out of trouble.

You can't deserve a win more than that...

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

I couldn't agree more.

Forget the fact he won for a minute. Look at where Barricello started compared to Button and look where Button finished compared to Barrichello. This alone shows just how good a race Button drove, he clearly deserved this win.

If Alonso had won would you have said he lucked his win from 15th on the grid? because clearly Kimi was on for the win until he crashed out...

Obviously we all know that this will probably be his only win this season, but it is well deserved by Jenson himself and the team for a great job this weekend.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Congratulations to Jenson Button, just as equally, Honda on their first win.
A win is a win is a win. When the teams unpacked at Hungary, everyone started from scratch. But at the end, after a very eventful race weekend, Jenson was the one standing on the top of the podium. That's what racing is all about, the team and driver doing better than their rivals.
And if you wish to play the "IF" game, start with the fact Jenson qualified a credible fourth, but lost ten positions after the team had to change an engine. He started well back with the likes of Alonso and Shu, and just like them marched through the field to settle in the top five. But despite Alonso and Shu who could run with optimal fuel for the race, Jenson was handicapped with the load from qualifying.
IF it had not rained, IF kimi had not crashed out, IF Alonso's wheel had not come askew, IF Shu had not rammed the rear end of nick's BMW,IF, IF, IF, get over it, everything is an IF. But in the end excuses and IF's don't count for crap, it's the car that crosses the fnish line first that is what counts.
Congratulations Jenson, well done.

Principessa

He drove a very good race and had the luck that Alonso had to retire, but Jense really did good. He was really fast out there and deserved the win today :wink:

[EDF]Fx
[EDF]Fx

Today Jenson was the best but even if IF´s and BUT`s doesnt count dont expect Button or Honda to win on a regular basis since they dont have the race pace of the Ferraris and Renaults.

/ Fx

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

No one is expecting him to win on a regular basis this season...

Timstr
Timstr

djones wrote:He did well I will admit that, but the fact he won was luck in my opinion.

Look at it this way... If the conditions were 'normal' and either Kimi, Alonso or Schumacher had finished would he have won?

I think not.
I sometimes wonder how certain people watch a race :roll:
"Jenson jumped from 14th to 11th on the opening lap and went on to overtake one car per lap for the next six laps to be fourth by lap eight......Jenson was up to third position by the time of his first pitstop on lap 17, from which he rejoined in fourth place behind Pedro de la Rosa."

And this you call luck?

f1.redbaron

Timstr wrote:
And this you call luck?
Yes, because to me, a person is lucky when he benefits from the events that take place, but normally don't! If you read one of Dave's replies, you will notice that his reply is riddled with "if's". When, on the road to victory, so many "if's" take place, I call it luck. Now, don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that this win shouldn't count. All I'm saying is that he was in a long queue of people who should've won before he did.

When you think about it, the weather in Hungary wasn't supposed to be like this (advantage Michelin drivers). Kimi wasn't supposed to ram his car into a back marker (which had evened things out between him and Alonso). Alonso wasn't supposed to lose a right wheel...these are all the events that took place, and normally don't, from which Button had benefitted!

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Yes but, and no disrespect to Kimi, Button didn't drive his car into that back of someone elses, Honda didn't forget to put a wheel nut on properly or their driveshafts didn't fail (whatever the case was). Button didn't cause an incident, overtake under red or yellow flags in practice.

That's why he deserved to win today's race... he drove the best race...

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

f1.redbaron wrote: All I'm saying is that he was in a long queue of people who should've won before he did.
Should have, could have, if.....
But that's why they run races, or else we would just crown the quickest car in practice. It's all about being the car to cross the finish line first, despite what happens in between.

f1.redbaron

DaveKillens wrote:
f1.redbaron wrote: All I'm saying is that he was in a long queue of people who should've won before he did.
Should have, could have, if.....
But that's why they run races, or else we would just crown the quickest car in practice. It's all about being the car to cross the finish line first, despite what happens in between.
Which is why I said that a luck played a part in his win. Nobody can convince me that it was just due to planning, the set-up of the car, or the raw talent of the driver...Luck was there!

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Oh of course, luck is always an element in any race result... Drivers have their turn of bad and good luck, Jenson had luck on his side today.

Jenson was not lucky to when the race, that is not the way to describe it, it's almost saying it was a fluke which it wasn't. He earned todays victory...

Tp
Tp

Being the best driver of the day with the best package and the team to help, won him the race - these are essentials that win a grand prix. The other drivers mentioned (Alonso, Kimi, Schumacher etc...) at some point didn't have one of those listed so they didn't win.

Jenson in my opinion had all of them, he was a good enough driver to keep it on the track as well as being fast, the tyres suited the conditions at the time, the car was fast, the strategy was good, the pitstops were clean, so he won.

mini696

Jenson has "almost" been there before and run into trouble of his own.
A win is a win. No one take it away from him (well except for the FIA).

BTW. MS is now in the point because Kubica was DSQ'd for running 2kgs underweight.

djones
djones

"MS is now in the point because Kubica was DSQ'd for running 2kgs underweight"

Awesome! :D