Red Bull, where do they get the money from?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
engin007
engin007

Red Bull, where do they get the money from?

Red Bull have done a good job in F1. But I always think where do they get all the money from to survive in such an expensive sport? Not only that they have got two teams in F1! They dont even stop there, they have teams in F3000, Red Bull Air Race etc. In every sport there is either a Red Bull team or some one sponsored by Red Bull.

Sticking to F1, a lot of teams get the money to run by their sponsors. Keeping in mind RBR and STR's main sponsor is Red Bull, how do they manage to raise millions of pounds to run their teams. Please dont tell me that they make all the money by selling there slim and shiny 250ml cans!!

Any thoughts guys & girls?!!

manchild
manchild

Don't forget WRC and Moto GP!

slick
slick

Just goes to show how much it must cost to make that gross yellow liquid

zac510
zac510

Slim shiny cans at 4x the price of Coca Cola :)

manchild
manchild

What about a poll "Coca Cola or Red bull"? (I hate energy drinks)

slick
slick

pepsi

McLaurin

water ^^
David Coulthard is the best !!!!!

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Deiter Mateschitz is recognized by almost all as a marketing genius, and has built a billion dollar business. He's also got a huge stack of money in the bank, and by his sponsorship pattern, must be an avid motorsport fan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietrich_Mateschitz

mikhak
mikhak

yeah fairly amazing Red Bull can own 2 F1 teams and just sell one product. but then if you look at the sales; almost 1 billion cans sold in 2000 in over 100 countries, 260 million of them in the UK. In 2003, almost 2 billion cans were sold in over 120 countries. :shock:

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

I have to admire Deiter Mateschitz because once he sets out on a project, he does it properly. To be sincerely competitive in F1, you have to spend a lot of money. Witness the sad state of Midland, who did just the opposite. Alex Schneider bought the team, and invested almost nothing in comparison to what it takes to be competitive. By the end of this season, they will own the last spots on the grid and in points.
Red Bull got connected to Ferrari by the engine plan. People may wonder why Red Bull decided to run Ferrari engines, well, it's just great marketing to associate with such a huge name in motorsports. Now that red Bull have Mark Webber, they have a Brit and an Aussie to help sell their product. At the rate they are going, sponsors will want to climb aboard, which will help absorb a lot of the budget.
Darn smart people running Red Bull, they do understand that it takes money to make money.

wowf1
wowf1

Don't Red Bull own most of the other energy drinks too? Things like Red Devil and V Invigorate strike me as though they'd be owned by a bigger company. I think I saw something about Red Bull on the back of the cans anyway. Red Bull probably monopolise the market, then buy out the competitors that have 0.1% market share! How that goes down with the Competition Commission I'm not so sure...

Scuderia_Russ

wowf1 wrote:!How that goes down with the Competition Commission I'm not so sure...
I understand what you are saying but people still have a choice, surely.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Due to the questionable health benefits and risks, in different countries the Red Bull formula may be altered. Also, just like Coca-cola and Pepsi, they have alternate products.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bull

West
West

Only time I ever drink it is with Vodka... drinking at work doesn't really do anything.

Red Bull came by our Mini Baja 2005 event with two girls handing drinks to everybody. Yeah they came with their car w/ the can. They put many girls to shame there (as you know, there aren't many good-looking engineering girls, if any).
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Red Bull mixed with vodka is known by several names, in some areas it is called an Eyeopener and in the Midwest, especially Chicago, it's known as a Kleinfeld. Mixed with Jägermeister is it called a JägerBlaster or JägerBomb, or (when served with the Jägermeister still in a shot glass) a Train Wreck. Mixed with whiskey, it is called bull's balls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bull