How come schumi's pet Massa win the race????

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ss.vamsikrishna

How come schumi's pet Massa win the race????

i think schumi waiting at the pits for massa is one of the biggest wonders in the formula one history!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i can bet now massa will be much more
obliged to make schumi win at any cost , i see schumi pulling something big in next four races with his pet helping him to screw alonso

DaveKillens

What happened at the Turkish race was an accumulation of small mistakes by Shu. Shu was supposed to win, Massa second, and Alonso fighting for third with the rest. But Shu messed up in qualifying, and put himself in jeapardy. Then during the race, Massa did what he was supposed to do, take off, and allow Shu to settle into second. That happened, but before Shu could close the gap with Massa and take the lead, the safety car came out. Now, at that moment, Massa was in first, and he definitely had to pit because of his low fuel load. There was no way around that. Shu also had to pit, strategy decided that. So we saw what gives Braun nightmares, both cars stacked up, with the WDC contender and favorite boy, Shu, sitting and waiting, and then watching Alonso blast by in the pits top grab second.
Massa is the second driver in Ferrari, there is no doubt by anyone of his status. But he did what he was supposed to do, and it was Shu and his small mistakes that cost him very valuable points.

Mikey_s

Yup, agree with dave, there was a combnation of small, but significant errors which stuffed Schum in the race. As Dave says,

1) Schum was outqualified (we'll never know what fuel load he had relative to Massa, I suspect he was a few laps heavier), and Massa got a good start which put them 1 and 2 in the race, but the wrong way around. then Liuzzi span and the problems started - just a littel early for the first scheduled stop, but no chance other than to pit immediately

2) my recollection is that Schum had abt 10s over Alsonso when the safety car was deployed, in an ideal world that might have been just enough to have the two cars line astern in the pits and still get both out ahead for Alonso, but it didn't work out that way. IMO there was no rational alternative to having the cars line up at that point in time on a two stop strategy.

Had the safety car not been deployed Schum would have been moved ahead of Massa during one, or other of the pit stops - no question about it and they could then have used Felipe to control Alonso

3) Schums mistake on Turn 8 in the second stint cost him at least 4, maybe 5 seconds - and he came out about 1.5 seconds behind Alonso from the second stop... game over. Apparently the heavy car (and a bit of over-driving) caused some blistering on the tyres causing him to fall back relative to Alonso in the second stint.. which I was curious about during the race as he he had been abt 1-1.5s per lap faster than Fernando in the first stint and couldn't stay with him in the second.

Anyhow, a great race and more to look foreward to in the next four!!
Mike

Ciro Pabón

Mikey_s wrote:Apparently the heavy car (and a bit of over-driving) caused some blistering on the tyres causing him to fall back relative to Alonso in the second stint.. which I was curious about during the race as he he had been abt 1-1.5s per lap faster than Fernando in the first stint and couldn't stay with him in the second.
Well, Alonso complained of the first set of tires and said also that HIS second (scrubbed) set was good. This could be the reason.

Was really Massa that low on fuel? I'm sure he could have continued one more lap. Kudos to Schumacher, if this was the case: he did not push Massa aside and maybe he could have done that. He even made jokes on the qualy, instead of "saving face".

From my (not so good) memory:

Reporter: "Why did Massa get pole position over you?"
Schumacher: "Lack of talent?"

A point for Schumacher sportmanship and good humour.
Ciro

DaveKillens

I have to agree that this week Shu did conduct himself quite well in front of the cameras. It was obvious he was avoiding direct reference to his problems, but did give Massa appropriate congratulations. I've criticised Shu on occasion, but this time I have to give him praise, notwithstanding his faulted race performace. It was very nice to see Alonso and Shu hoist Massa on their shoulders on the victory podium. Quite an honor.