Whats this?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ketanpaul

Whats this?

Can anybody tell me whats the black thing on Schumi's helmet?

[IMG:720:480]http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/1052 ... 170ht2.jpg[/img]

Steven
Owner

That's just to open his visor, we have talked about it earlier on.
It's simply a different design to the usual helmet where two bumps are made in the helmet shape so that the driver can open the visor with his gloves on. Obviously, Schumacher is also able to do this but the bumps are not needed.

Edit: well most helmets nowadays have a clip system to open the visor:

joseff

IIRC it's in the middle so MS can close/open it with either hand.

ketanpaul

thanks guys

manchild
manchild

viewtopic.php?t=2262&highlight=helmet :wink:

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:18 am

Jason:

Hang on, did someone notice there is a black thing below Schuey's visor?

FLC:

yeah, i've noticed that too. i think its there so he can pull it down without touching it with his hands and making it finger dirty. cant think of something else...

Jason:

It's not going ot make the visor very dirty since the driver is wearing gloves.

FLC:

yes, but i guess the gloves get dirty... the cockpit cant be that clean. they reach their hands to shifts and levers down inside. maybe thats exactly it, preventing oil stains and stuff like that. maybe someone else has another explanation?

manchild:

To me it looks like some sort of visor safety fastener because there on the lower part of helmet is another black thingy where this upper thingy might be secured.

scarbs:

It’s a clip to hold the visor closed,
With the cockpit padding now so wide, the usual method of a clip on one side of the helmet makes it hard for the driver to open the visor. Plus either hand can open the visor.