Your tributes to Michael Schumacher

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
manchild
manchild

kilcoo316 wrote:and Monaco 2000 was dry, his suspension broke as a result of exhaust heat.
You're right, it wasn't 2000 but 1996 when he crashed in first lap during wet race.
Michael Schumacher's hat-trick bid ended abruptly as he crashed out on the very first lap at rain-swept Monaco. The world champion started on pole but was immediately overtaken on the slippery surface by Williams rival and championship leader Damon Hill.

Worse was soon to follow for the German Ferrari driver, who had won the last two races here, as he lost control and crashed before the entry to the tunnel. He was one of nine drivers - out of 21 starters - to crash out within the first six laps of the race.
http://www.gpracing.net192.com/races/reports/587.cfm

Ciro Pabón

On thread:

Thanks, Michael Schumacher. You are a professional and a great driver.

Out of thread (at least, not for Principessa's quotations):

Darkness and the Shadow of Light
by James O'Barr

I feel like a statue of an armless angel
Broken; hurt
Flawed at my very core,
Rage jets thru my veins, a
Black blood poison
Hot with fury
It rolls off me like smoke, like
Sad music
My soul rises up from the
Red sky of the west
A fiery chariot amassed of
Iron; steel:
Engine parts
Bones, both human and animal
With a hideous velocity I
Scream across the heavens,
Washing the countryside in
A sick sweet death like some
Monstrous plague
Anger boils over me in a
Screaming rain and
I want to destroy everything;
If I were a god everything
Would die a slow, horrific
Death
I look at my arms.
There are spiders in my veins,
They are glossy blue-black:
The color of sin, the color
Of a waxed Porsche.
The crimson hourgasses on their backs
Shine like Christmas tree decorations
The spiders mate, they f***
In my blood
Discharging a sick dead venom
That dozes up and down my
Arteries
Eating at the last innocence
Of my soul
To live, I must release them
With trembling fingers
I pick up a straight razor,
Its rusted serrated edge like
The fringe of a shadow
The razor needs soft flesh
Like a dozen red roses I
Give the gift of freedom to the
Spiders:
A rush of blood, down my
Forearm
An alizarin crimson curtain
Rising, like my soul, to
Signal the start of the end

Who will be the slave to
The spiders,
Now?
------

I posted this in gp.com and it gave rise to "There was a man from Nantucket..." posts. :) For me, it resumes what cannot be said with words about Schumacher, but it can be written as poetry (if you find some illogical thinking here, you got my point).

Finally, for those of you that think that Michael Schumacher is "the greatest driver in history", I would like to remind you of Ralph de Palma.

He won an estimated 2.000 races of the 2.800 races he participated... Look how carefully DaveKillens uses adjectives on his post, "relegating" Schumacher to be the most successful driver "in F1 history".
Ciro

djones
djones

All the people who try slag him off make me laugh. In particular Manchild who really does act like a 5 year old and needs to get out more.

The post on page 1 with all the statistics says it all. Nothing more needs to be said. He's a fighter and winning means everything to him, that's why he has done a few silly things in the past. It's not because he is a bad person it's because he has pure drive to win, in some cases at all costs.

Also to all the peole who try put him down - have you won 7 WDC titles? Have you ever even driven a F1 car??? NO?? well STFU then.

Ciro Pabón

I would qualify that even more, adding "in absolute terms". In relative terms, well, latin blood is needed :wink:: there was one Juan Manuel Fangio once...

I normally try to avoid answering somebody's judgements on anybody, but @djones: what some people laugh about is the simplicity that can be inferred of qualifying anybody as a "good" or a "bad" person. Complexity is the essence of life. Not that I am trying to take anything from Mr. Schumacher with my quoted poetry: precisely I am trying to show him in other terms, different of, for example, "he overcorrected in the chicane" or of the futile attempt to resume a life in a few statistics or a few incidents.
Ciro

Tp
Tp

djones wrote:All the people who try slag him off make me laugh. In particular Manchild who really does act like a 5 year old and needs to get out more.

The post on page 1 with all the statistics says it all. Nothing more needs to be said. He's a fighter and winning means everything to him, that's why he has done a few silly things in the past. It's not because he is a bad person it's because he has pure drive to win, in some cases at all costs.

Also to all the peole who try put him down - have you won 7 WDC titles? Have you ever even driven a F1 car??? NO?? well STFU then.
Exactly. They're just sore losers. They're intellectually unable to say to themselves 'Wait a minute, Schumacher has won 90 races and 7 world titles. He can't of cheated for every race he's entered, maybe these controversial incidents have been something to do with his ruthless-race-driver-characteristics (something I much rather see than a driver who doesn't fight on track because it might result in a penalty or crash.)'

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

manchild wrote:You're right, it wasn't 2000 but 1996 when he crashed in first lap during wet race.

http://www.gpracing.net192.com/races/reports/587.cfm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't MS starting on slicks?

manchild
manchild

kilcoo316 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't MS starting on slicks?
Perhaps, but hey! - he is the "rain master" so even on slicks he should have beaten everyone, right? :lol:

Spencifer_Murphy

Schumacher has won 90 races and 7 world titles. He can't of cheated for every race he's entered, maybe these controversial incidents have been something to do with his ruthless-race-driver-characteristics (something I much rather see than a driver who doesn't fight on track because it might result in a penalty or crash.)'
I agree, there's no denighing he's a great driver. And of course we remember when he cheats, but he can't have cheated his way to all of his 90GP wins. Sometimes I think people are too ready to say "Oh your one of those anti-schumacher people" and as a result ASSUME that we all think he's talentless.

I really don't like Michael as a driver (i don't know him as a person so I cannot comment on that) I can't help but feel slightly cheated by the way he won in 94 (no i can't let it go, and yes maybe I should but thts my own choice) Just cause he's good, no wait, great, doesn't mean I have to like him. Nor is it unjust to say "Actually I think Fangio was the greatest not Michael."

My personal belief is that Fangio was better, sure Michael's won pretty much all of the "the most" records, but we have to take into consideration the relatives, for example, Fangio won a higher percentage of his race starts that Michael, AND scored more points per start. FOR ME that qualifies Fangio as better. For some it may not.

Whether you like him or not, whether you believe he is THE greatest of all time or not, you just CANNOT denigh that Michael Schumacher WILL go down as one of the greatest drivers of all time.

And for me, (a big Anti-Schumi person remember) he may not be the greatest driver, but he certainly is the most complete.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

emburmak
emburmak

A sad day! A trully unique talent rides into the sunset. I watched him from that debut in 91' and am thankful to have seen the magical and not so magical moments he has given the sport.

The most complete F1 driver in history. It is sad to see him go. Even more shocking to know that he had made the decision after Indy but the team successfully kept it secret.

But in a way I am happy for no longer will the few dubious events of a spectacular career be constantly re-cycled by those who could never see anything good in the man. MS rides into history. Go Schumi!! 8)

tinhouse
tinhouse

Yet another mixed tribute ...

I’m not a Schumacher fan as such, but I’m not one of the haters either. I’ll be cheering for Alonso for the rest of this season, but I’ll miss Schuey next year. Whatever he did or didn't do, I can’t help but admire his phenomenal application and, if you’ll excuse the pun, drive.

I don’t think it’s true that you can’t get to the top without being a nasty person, but you certainly can’t get there without being a very competitive one and they don’t come much more so than Schuey. I think it’s worth remembering that we only saw the times that devil in his ear got the better of him. We don’t know how many times he managed to keep that urge to win at all costs under control, how many other times he was tempted to do a naughty thing but managed to fight the urge.

Yes the answer might be ‘none’ but I don’t think he really gave in every time the urge took him. I wouldn’t like to do my job with hundreds of millions of people looking over my shoulder (and dissecting my career on message boards!) and that pressure is bound to get the best of you from time to time. Michael never seemed to shy away from putting himself under even more pressure by demanding a lot from himself and going with bold strategy decisions that demanded a lot from him.

Yes it’s been noted that he relied on the team, but they relied on him. That four stop strategy in Magny Cours wouldn’t have been an option if the team couldn’t guarantee that Michael could pull out the lap times out to make it go. At the same time, the whole idea was so crazy and audacious it just took my breath away that any team could have come up with it. Like San Marino this year. They just pain suckered Renault into making an early stop with a bit of sandbagging, and then swanned off into the distance. Somehow I can’t imagine Alonso and Symons coming up with that wheeze. He’s a team player and his team do genuinely seem to like him.

Whether or not he was the greatest driver ever is a moot point. We’ll never know what Fangio would have done with a 2006 spec car, any more than we’ll get to see Schuey race a 1953 Maserati in anger. He is certainly the greatest driver of the modern age. But he’s no sportsman and that's always going to be mentioned alongside all the records. It goes without saying that his awesome drive in Spain, bringing the car home second despite having only one gear, isn't the talking point of the 94 season.

When you look back over those reports of grands prix from history, with drivers handing team-mates their cars so they could finish the race, Mike Hawthorn refusing to lap Fangio out of respect, you realise that we just operate in a different world now. I don’t think any driver on the grid at the moment would pull over to help a stricken opponent.

But I can’t help but wonder how many of those guys from history would have driven past their own brother when he was cearly in trouble after a massive shunt. Of all the things Schuey did in his career, that’s the one that makes me saddest.

TH

Ciro Pabón

Spence, Tinhouse: great comments!

Tinhouse made me remember a comment I already made: that any history of Michael Schumacher HAS to take in account the roles played by Todt and Brawn.

This trio put together the greatest and "most" perfect strategies I have ever seen. You can doubt if Schumacher was "greater" (as if someone could be smaller!) than, let's say, Nuvolari or Ascari, not to mention Fangio. But there is something without doubt in history: modern F1 is not only dependent on the car or the pilot, you require a team. A "loose nut" can ruin your race... :D

Surely those "three amigos" were unsurpased in their ability to outmanouver the entire field. It is not only Michael Schumacher we are going to miss, but this team: Michael Schumacher and his true friends, Jean Todt and Ross Brawn. Not until one of them writes the history of the other two will we understand the true story of Schumacher career.
Ciro

jgredline

According to david hobbs, steve matchet, bob varsha and many others, it apears that michael got forced out of the car, made to retire.
after reading this http://www.f1technical.net/news/3953
it seems to make sense. I would not be surprised to see him a silver car next year. I hope so.
To finish first, first you must finish.

Alexis
Alexis

Apart from the fact that he smashed most of the records, Shumi is a man with a heart for racing. He just loves it and he's not a nasty person at all!
The "ice cold, nasty german" is just something some of you want him to be! I believe he realy is a family-man and he has done a lot for charity too btw... I want to thank him for everything he has done for the sport that brings us together, for his exceptionnal talent and his personality. Niki Lauda says he's a complete jerk, Jackie Ickx says he is the greatest ever.
Everyone famous person has people pro and contra, that's just the way it is but still I think he's one hell of a pilot :D

It's just disgusting some people show no respect at all. As a Ferrari fan I also have my thoughts about Renault but because I'm 18 I will not behave as a 3 year old...

People who think to be open-minded but aren't are worse than people who just are narrow minded. It's just a shame intelligent people as e.g. Wazojugs and Manchild can act that low. I know this site is a little pro Renault-Alonso (nothing wrong with that, it's even good :D ) but that's not reason to --- on Schumi's head.
Show that you're a loser with a lot of money who can't get a racing license, drive the Gumball 3000...

Surry fer mai bed Hinglish

Principessa

The intention of this topic is that you all can give a message to Schumi! So you don't have to talk about 'him or he' you can make a message like:

Michael, You will be missed .....

Something like this.
I will put the most pretty one's in a newsarticle and after that, I will sent this to Michael's press manager, so he can see it :wink:

You have time 'till Wednesdaymorning!

Spencifer_Murphy

The "ice cold, nasty german" is just something some of you want him to be!
Not nessecarily. Michael is one of the most PR savy and intellectual drivers I've ever seen. I've been watching F1 now since I was two years old (needless to say I don't remember ALL of the memories of a two year old!) and in those 17years Michael has always appeared to be cold, withdrawn and emotionless.

My friend's uncle worked with him (for some sort of sports insureance stuff) and said that as a schumi fan he was dissapointed because he came across as an "abnoxious bastard" lol.

HOWEVER, like I said Michael is PR savy, he knows full well that if you show emotion to the press they will use it against you (look at what happened to Mika when he retired in the San Marino (or was it Italian) GP, when he hid and cried and the media lynched him for it.) So michael simply refused to let the media get a look at things they can use against him.

He is not emotionless or nasty or cold as proven by:
1. His determination and love of his job
2. The rapport between himself and his team-mates (incuding mechanics etc.)
3. His family, how happy they seem when we (rarely) get the chance to see.
4. His tears when his mother died on the poidum at San Marino (i think)
5. His visibly upset face when he announced his retirement.

That is to list just a few. I don't have to like him...and personally I don't. But one thing is for certain, you have got to respect his achievements and himself.

I don;t think he's "an ice cold rutheless and calculating german messercmit pilot, who drives the red car like an ominous Baron Von Richthoven flying his red Fokker Tri-Plane"

I think that Michael just wants to keep his private lefe...private.

And fair play to him.

Michael you will be missed from F1 not onl by your countless fans, but also by those who now, have nobody to hate!

Michael Schumacher, the most complete driver in F1 history will retire in just 3races time. Lets enjoy those last races, cheering for him - or if your like me - hoping and praying for (and hopefully rejoincing when) Alonso beats him to the 2006 Drivers Title. Like I said, you don't have to like him, but you gotta respect him.

Michael Schumacher, F1 Driver 1991 - 2006, 7World Drivers Championships, 90Grand prix wins.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.