The end of war?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Schumacher is:

most successful
79%
greatest
21%

Total votes: 28

Ciro Pabón

What you need here is more beer and never, ever, post on an empty stomach. I would suggest wine or rum, but I know that north of the Pirineos you do not have grapes or sugar cane. I am so sorry about that... Besides, some of us would guess Manchild has fallen in love (again): this is the only rational explanation to this thread. What's her name, MC?

About the "greatest argument", first you have to tell me who is the smallest... I do not like character comparisons. :D

Next thing I am going to hear from you is that Ferrari is better than Bugatti. What's next? Schwarzkopf is better than Hannibal or Napoleon? I am sooo sorry to disturb the group hugging, but the most sucessful open-wheeler is not Schumacher, you bird brains. :)

Ralph de Palma (american by choice, he, he) won an estimated 2000 races of the 2800 he participated in. You know, for some of us, racing did NOT start in 1950...

Oh, I almost forgot: he was called "the gentleman champion"... long before "other alternatives" aspired to the position (I am talking here about the, perhaps, ruthless Senna). :lol:
Last edited by Ciro Pabón on 19 Sep 2006, 12:19, edited 1 time in total.
Ciro

NickT

Nice on Ciro 8)

:-k I wonder what we could acheive if we all put as much effort into lobbying the FIA, as we do "discussing" Schmi :twisted:
NickT

NickT

Just spotted these
pRo wrote:Ferrari 168, Renault 165, FIA 0

I just wish everyone had the same set of rules!
Wonderful :wink:
mini696 wrote:FIA = Ferrai International Assistance
ROTFLMAO :twisted:
NickT

Carlos
Carlos

Of course! Any fan of MS that shares your sense of fun would be glad to have such displayed next to their posts. But not for me. As I said in an earlier post---I am ambivalent about MS---and many other things. An everyday example---also a cryptic, historical puzzle of dark humour.

I am retired --but work Sunday mornings, at a cafe,for my pleasure. Althought I am partly Roma I must use a Krupp toaster

Regards Carlos

Carlos
Carlos

Ciro--- did you perhaps mean to say--- that grapes do not grow South of California? :lol: :D :lol:

Regards Carlos

manchild
manchild

Ciro Pabón wrote:Besides, some of us would guess Manchild has fallen in love (again): this is the only rational explanation to this thread. What's her name, MC?
It's not a new flame, it's the one burining exactly as long as your marriage 8)

Ciro Pabón

manchild wrote:
Ciro Pabón wrote:Besides, some of us would guess Manchild has fallen in love (again): this is the only rational explanation to this thread. What's her name, MC?
It's not a new flame, it's the one burining exactly as long as your marriage 8)
I don't know of a better compliment to "Mrs. Manchild" than that post. Way to go! :P (if she is the one that convinced you of beginning this thread, I guess that Scuderia_Russ, Tp, Tif and RH1300S want to talk with her, to see if something can be done about your unredeemed soul).

As for the greatest of all times, I have been thinking this could mean the one that payed less attention to fans, convinced of his own greatness, a little like you would say of, for example, the greatest Muhammad Ali.

If this is the case, I would like to nominate Mr. Vittorio Jano for this post. Here you have a guy that maybe not even Mrs. Manchild could forgive, in his arrogance. I quote:
Vittorio Jano's P3 dominated the Belgian Grand Prix at Spa in 1925 after the local favorite, the Delage team, had retired all of their cars. With the race now an Alfa-Romeo parade the fans began to make their displeasure known and Jano in response ordered his cars to pit. While they were being refueled the cars were cleaned and buffed. During this pitstop he had a table placed in full view, whereupon he imperiously ate lunch, deaf to the howls of the spectators. The cars rejoined the race and won with ease.
I wonder what the FIA stewards would have done with THAT guy.

@Carlos: yes, there are some wines in California and France, I concede that. And barley is not that bad, true.
Last edited by Ciro Pabón on 19 Sep 2006, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
Ciro

Tom

I remember that race, erm, I mean that story.

The ultimate in arrogance, when the team is booed and hissed by locals they rub it in by serving dinner in the pits while the merchanics clean the cars. imagine the headline in autosport.

I can't imagine the FIA would like it, then again Alfa were the 1925 Ferrari.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

monkeyboy1976
monkeyboy1976

Ciro Pabón wrote:
Vittorio Jano's P3 dominated the Belgian Grand Prix at Spa in 1925 after the local favorite, the Delage team, had retired all of their cars. With the race now an Alfa-Romeo parade the fans began to make their displeasure known and Jano in response ordered his cars to pit. While they were being refueled the cars were cleaned and buffed. During this pitstop he had a table placed in full view, whereupon he imperiously ate lunch, deaf to the howls of the spectators. The cars rejoined the race and won with ease.
Aaahhh. the good old days eh? eh? :)

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

It's a shame when a race team forgets the fans in their arrogance. And no, I'm not making any oblique reference to Ferrari, just generalizing.
If there wasn't fans, the sport wouldn't get larger than the club level. Most fans are working stiffs who save up our hard earned money and invest in something we hold dear. And a good part of it is because we enjoy the entertainment.
It's funny, because over in the USA, the dominant NASCAR holds that principle as one of it's most important tenets. If a team of driver goes the extra mile to accomodate the fans, they are cherished and supported. There are many things about NASCAR I do not like, but many I embrace. And never losing sight of the fans as the primary focus is one of them.

BTW Ciro, send me your address and I'll send you a bottle of our finest ice wine, grown up here in the Great White North. he he :wink:

hmm, if one of manchild's loves is racing, I speculate what she would be if in female form. A cute cuddly love toy or a leather clad dominatrix? lol

manchild
manchild

DaveKillens wrote: hmm, if one of manchild's loves is racing, I speculate what she would be if in female form. A cute cuddly love toy or a leather clad dominatrix? lol
A cute cuddly love toy with dominatrix dirty mind :wink:

Tom

I'm forbidden from talking about F1 to any girl i meet...

As Brundle commented in his book, is F1 for the fans? well there must be a certain aspect of that otherwise races would be held on Wednesdays and there would be no grandstands!
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Ciro Pabón

Tom, maybe Mr. Jano did it for the stand. I would guess Alfa Romeo fans loved the gesture. I am not sure what Belgians thought about it, we should ask Tomba.

I cannot resist to tell another story involving a successful driver, wine and (yes, dangerous) irreverence:

Mr. Joules Goux and his mechanic, the legend goes (sorry, in spanish), managed to drink SIX bottles of champagne during his numerous pit stops in the 1913 Indy 500. He won a prize of 8750 pounds, which is more or less the cost of the ticket he would got nowadays if he were caught driving like that.

Finally, here you have the "famous" (I hope) photograph of Mr. De Palma pushing his car with his mechanic at the 1912 Indy 500. The car expired on the last mile of the last lap, allowing Joe Dawson to pass them and win the race. They won an standing ovation when they crossed the finish line.

If you want to know how he managed to get a second place at La Sarthe-Le Mans, you can read the history told by his nephew, mechanic and evidently enthusiast fan. Let me tell you it is a really peculiar story.
Ciro

Tom

I've heard of the champagne story, but its truth was always in doubt. It is a brilliant idea, and I would love it to be true, but it is suggested that it was in fact water in a Champagne bottle, very early form of sponsorship. Of course consuming 1 bottle of bubbly would deteriorate any normal persons driving to pish so 6, one at each pit stop, and surely he'd be abyismal. Although people say it stimulated him.

Also saddly chicks do not appreciate these heroic and increadable stories :cry: they usually just want the champagne.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

That's OK, what do guys want? A gal full of racing enthusiasm, or a drunk chick? he he :wink: