Start/finish line

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
vis

Start/finish line

Anyone knows why the start/stop of a chrono lap is no more coincident with the physical white line painted across the track, but is often several meters before?

I heard that this is a trend in moto races, to place the finish line just at the end of the last corner, to prevent risky arrivals drafting, on the wake or zig-zaging...

vyselegend

I think you're answearing correctly to your own question, although it's just a guess. Can't think of another explaination...

I have the same trouble to understand this matter. At Magny-Cours, one does cross the line even before reaching the last slot of the grid, making the first lap maybe ~100m shorter than the others. (assuming the chrono starts when the real line is crossed, in front of the pole slot.)

Tom

With the old chicane at Magny Cours it was possible to gain about 1 second by smashing your car into the barrier on the last corner, because the finish line was so far back.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

vis

I'm not talking only about Magny Cours, this things happens nearly in every track...