Saboteur?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
manchild
manchild

Saboteur?

It was the same guy! It had nothing to do with jamming based on technical problem! It only happens to this guy! His money must be red! :evil:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/54921
autosport.com wrote:Renault reshuffle their pitstop crew

By Jonathan Noble Thursday, October 5th 2006, 06:09 GMT

Renault have reshuffled their pitstop crew for this weekend's Japanese Grand Prix following the problem that marred Fernando Alonso's second pitstop in China last weekend, autosport.com has learned.

Alonso lost ten seconds at his second stop after the right rear wheel-nut mechanic failed to realise that the nut had come out of his gun when removing the wheel.

It was only when he tried to refit the wheel that it became clear the nut was missing, and the time was lost while a replacement wheel nut was found.

That lost time was enough to prevent Alonso from a chance of fighting title rival Michael Schumacher for the lead in the closing stages of the race.

Although Renault's director of engineering Pat Symonds said after the event that the pitstop problem was "one of those things", the team have subsequently decided to make a change - which includes replacing the right rear wheel-nut man.

A team spokesman confirmed the news when asked by autosport.com: "Following the events at the Chinese Grand Prix, we've made a change."

Coincidentally, the right rear wheel-nut man was the same one involved in the problem at the Hungarian Grand Prix, where a broken wheel-retaining pin on Alonso's car led to the wheel-nut coming off as he returned to the track. The Spaniard was pitched off the track and into the barriers just as he seemed set for victory.

"We've preferred to substitute him because this weekend he would have felt excessive pressure," team boss Flavio Briatore told Gazzetta dello Sport.

"But he has some mitigating factors, as the situation was difficult, with little light and our visor were dark, so visibility wasn't optimal. In any case Fernando had already lost the race before that."

Autosport.com understands that Renault's dilemma in choosing to make the revision for Japan was made difficult by the fact that the Chinese crew delivered Giancarlo Fisichella the fastest pitstop of the race at his second stop.

That swift stop helped Fisichella return to the track in front of Schumacher, before the Italian ran wide at the first corner and the German boldly overtook him to claim his seventh season win.
Last edited by manchild on 06 Oct 2006, 00:24, edited 1 time in total.

FLC
FLC

autosport.com wrote:Autosport.com understands that Renault's dilemma in choosing to make the revision for Japan was made difficult by the fact that the Chinese crew delivered Giancarlo Fisichella the fastest pitstop of the race at his second stop.
...which put him right in front of MS. Just like FA, tommrow you will blame the global warming...

vyselegend

:-k Hmmm. Sabotage is a very serious accusation, manchild.

I admit I envisaged this possibility immediatly after the problem occured: comparable conditions, same wheel, same kind of problem. I couldn't refrain asking myself "Is it the same mechanic that was in charge of this wheel in Hungary?"

But even if the coincidence feel strange, coincidences do happen sometimes. And as we can't be sure of anything, I feel it's a bit harsh to put such a heavy accusation on the guy. Maybe he live it very bad and already feels guilty on his own, it isn't nice to add some weight on his shoulders.

Anyway, that's a good call from the team. As Flavio says, the guy would feel extra pressure now and this can't be good, be it for him or the team.

Hudsonhawk.
Hudsonhawk.

Perhaps fernando should go to that red stained team with these comments below.....found on crash.net.....
"There is not a problem at all with anybody," he said. "What I felt there is that maybe I had a problem with the car that was a specific problem for ten laps, nine, eight or whatever, and I felt alone, for sure. I was first and my team-mate was second and they came to me, they overtook me and they were gone. And after, when I recovered the pace, they were too far ahead.

"It is like you are in the Tour de France in the mountains, climbing, you have a puncture or whatever and your team and your rival has gone uphill with no stops. That was a little bit difficult to understand."
isnt he stating here that team orders should have been enforced.... HMMMM :-k i didnt think it was allowed in this sport :-k he's in the wrong team... :-k

BUT I HOPE HE WINS OVER SHOIEEE......good to see shoie back in fine form....he is a genious driver....had nothing to do with the car....nothing at all.....shoie brillance at its best....ppppfffftt....

all of a sudden alonso doesnt look so talented does he???? 99.9% car in f'ed 1.....UNTIL NOW.....its now 95% car 4.9% pit screw....ooops i mean crew....and 0.1% diver

saam
saam

I think alonso should use his mouth on the racetrack instead.... :lol:
Always FERRARI

Everyones an F1 expert........

manchild
manchild

vyselegend wrote:I couldn't refrain asking myself "Is it the same mechanic that was in charge of this wheel in Hungary?"
It was same mechanic!
autosport.com wrote:Coincidentally, the right rear wheel-nut man was the same one involved in the problem at the Hungarian Grand Prix, where a broken wheel-retaining pin on Alonso's car led to the wheel-nut coming off as he returned to the track.

I know that it might sound harsh but if he was feeling pressure he should have ask to be replaced on some other duty for the sake of team. There are 12 guys replacing wheels - 3 on each wheel with 4 air-gun man and from 12 of them this guy screws up twice!

Team should heve replaced him after Hungarian GP because if he screwed up without pressure than there were all chances that he'll screw up again.

His screwing up cost Alonso 12 points! That's the luxury no team can afford regardless if it was accident or sabotage.
Last edited by manchild on 05 Oct 2006, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.

f1.redbaron

manchild wrote:
Team should heve replaced him after Hungarian GP because if he screwed up without pressure than there were all chances that he'll screw up again.

His screwing up cost Alonso 12 points! That's the luxry no team can afford regardless if it was accident or sabotage.
While I can't speak for the events at the Chinese GP, if I'm not mistaken, Alonso's problems with his right wheel at the Hungarian GP were a result of the faulty safety tab, not the mechanic (actually, not caused directly by the mechanic).

As I'm sure most of you know, there is a safety tab (or a pin), that mechanics pull immideately after screwing the nut on. Once it is pulled, a little pins pop up which act as the stoppers that won't allow the wheel nut to come off. Well, during the pit stop, due to the faulty design, this tab was broken without the mechanic knowing about it (IIRC - I could be wrong!). As a result, the wheel nut came of, and then the wheel, and so on. (however, even if the mechanic knew about it, I don't think that there is much he could've done, except to pray)

So, while the mechanic did break this tab, it isn't, really, his fault.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Just as interesting, at China and Hungary the right rear wheel is the most obstructed from fan and press viewing. The mechanic is hunched over the wheel, the pits are behind him, lots of people in front of him, and a few people (wheel carrier, guys for jack and fire bottle, others) to the rear. Of all the wheels in that scenario, that is the most obstructed from anyone's view.
How many problems has Renault had with wheel nuts on pit stops? What are the odds that almost the same problem happened in similar races? Rain, the title up for grabs.
In some places in the world, that's enough evidence for a criminal investigation. If you believe in coincidence, you also believe in the tooth fairy.
In most pressure jobs, if a person falls off the bicycle, you put them right back on. They have proven they are capable, you just need to get them back as soon as possible. But in this case, the team principals decided to dump someone.

Ciro Pabón

Not to mention that Renaults fiber optics cable running to their console was cut. Everybody panic! Run in circles with your hands above your head! Oh, paranoia, bring us your fragrant, swift, jerky breezes! :lol:

Seriously, my position on this bussiness is that human stupidity is inexhaustible. You have to consider that before starting to investigate other options. However, if you do, you have to smile and play the role of the dumb. Don't the guys at Renault read crime novels? They could hire some HP ex-executives. 8)
Ciro

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Honestly Ciro, I am 99% sure it is human or mechanical failure, not deliberate. But the accumulation of evidence is like throwing gasoline on the conspiracy bonfire. :roll:

boban-mk

Did Alonso believes that if wasn't that 7-8 seconds delay in pit stop that he will catch MS. I don't think so. By the way on F1-live there is information that mechanic person responsible for rigth rear wheel is not in Suzuka at all.

Tom

Honestly I never suspected anything on Sunday, even after Hungary, I still don't. I might just be naive but I believe that guy is the best merchanic around and he had two unlucky breaks. Hey, I've made stupid mistakes, I once filled a car fuel tank with water instead of petrol, I know you all think I'm an incompetant merchanic now, maybe I am, but we were under pressure to get home with limited fuel and I just grabbed a green can from the garage, it looked and smelled like petrol, it had had petrol in it before, so I put it in.

The Renault guy could have sworn the nut was still in his gun, he has a technique, they never come out usually, and I bet he is still piecing together what happened, poor guy.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Ciro Pabón

DaveKillens wrote:Honestly Ciro, I am 99% sure it is human or mechanical failure, not deliberate. But the accumulation of evidence is like throwing gasoline on the conspiracy bonfire. :roll:
OK, Dave, I get it. But, if there is a realconspiracy, I thought the idea was to beat it with another conspiracy of your own.
Ciro

manchild
manchild

It is fishy to me for following reason - if I was him I'd feel so bad after Hungary and ask for repacement or even resign from the team while this guy didn't think about it but continued working and screwed up again.

Think of this... 256 tyre changes in 16 races so far, approx. 2 pitstops per race, 2 cars, remaining 3 air gun mechanics - that is 192 tyre changes with no problem at all for any of those 3! This guy however has two cockups in 64 tyre changes.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

There are a lot of reasons to raise eyebrows, but then again, s--t happens.
Let's take this kind of conspiracy to it's logical conclusion. IF he was paid off, it would have to be enough money to ensure a comfortable retirement. He sure wouldn't be able to work with any team, he could not be trusted. And if a competitor was able to buy off one of the important mechanics, there are better ways to sabotage a race than doing it in front of the world on a pit stop.