View Suspended

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
geoclassic
geoclassic

View Suspended

What a great idea. I wish the exhiblt would tour in the U.S. Here's a link to VWVortex with some additional comments.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?&id=2862470

Ciro Pabón

Thanks, nice photos. Ginsu already showed us some taken in London, I believe here. Thanks for the link, that VWvortex forum is awesome: I've never seen so many people posting.
Ciro

Venom
Venom

Nice photos...

From that site/forum...
A dry-weather F1 tyre reaches peak operating performance (best grip) when tread temperature is between 900C and 1200C.(Water boils boils at 100C remember) At top speed, F1 tyres rotate 50 times a second.
lol :D

Somone else:
-F1 cars at over 120 mph (I think) produce enough downforce for the car to actually drive inverted, if that was possible.
Now that is interesting, I wonder if it's possible? How much does F1 car approx. weight at 120mph? Let's say Monaco GP downforce settings? :?: :oops:
The trouble with the rat-race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.

Tom

Yeah, in theory an F1 car can easilly overcome its own weight at 120mph. I would love to see it in practice, but you would need a tunnel with high radius to prevent it bottoming, and I doubt the engines work upsode down.

Be careful with downforce settings, bear in mind d/f is just about squared with speed but then so is drag, therefore at high d/f settings cars might not be able to reach required speeds. OK, Monaco settings should reach 120mph with ease, but be careful.

According to his autobiography, Zanardi at a superoval for the first time had no grip and was struggling at speeds much lower than the rest were travelling, so his engineer lowered the downforce, allowing higher speeds and therefore more downforce created as a result.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Tom

In a street course race like the Monaco grand prix, the down force provides enough suction to lift manhole covers. Before the race all of the manhole covers on the streets have to be welded down to prevent this from happening!
Brundle's autobiography this time, he witnessed a race at montreal in Canada with the super high downforce sports cars, there are less regulations on d/f there so it is generally much higher than in F1, where a leading car ripped up a manhole cover on the F1 street circuit, threw it into the path of 2 other cars and through the windscreen of a third. Another part punctured the fuel tank causing a huge explosion. Luckily the driver escaped unharmed, somehow. I'll try and find a pic.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

manchild
manchild

pyry
pyry

TOP F1 pit crews can refuel and change tyres in around 3 seconds.
this was also amusing :)
four rings to rule them all

Tp
Tp

Re: View Suspended

geoclassic wrote:What a great idea. I wish the exhiblt would tour in the U.S. Here's a link to VWVortex with some additional comments.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?&id=2862470
Could be worse.... I went the motor show in London but missed that bit, I actually walked right past it, the windows surrounding it were tinted :(

mcdenife
mcdenife

I also was at the motor show and spent some time in the glass room just staring at the parts. Unfortunately I forgot to take a camera and could take any pictures....boy was I gutted.
Long experience has taught me this about the status of mankind with regards to matters requiring thought. The less people know and understand about them, the more positively they attempt to argue concerning them; while on the other hand, to know and understand a multitude of things renders men cautious in passing judgement upon anything new. - Galileo..

The noblest of dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.