Korea Gp Track Layout

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
a fan of the red team

that track layout is so kimchi.... hahahaha....

Ciro Pabón

Saribro wrote:
Sodder wrote: I believe they are grand stands and seating arrangements.
I think he means the gravel zones (I think).I believe they are (not) grand stands and seating arrangements.
Thanks, Saribro, yes, I am referring to the golden lines around the track, not the orange stands. They actually seem like grass areas (the golden ones) to me, and the light gray ones could be the gravel traps: m3_lover states it is a counterclockwise circuit.

I have the impression they are grass areas, because, if I remember well, this has been done by Tilke in Turkey, putting a thin grass line on the exterior of a lot of curves. This way, if you put a wheel on the grass, you lose the car. However, you find a paved surface after that, so you can recover. This happened many times on curve 8. You are tempted to go fast and if you push it too much you lost like 5-10 seconds but you are not off the race. I like it.

Anyway, they could be barriers or something, because you find them all around the inner edge of the circuit. I do not think that they are paved areas because the pilots would use all of them...

Notice the sharp, over ninety degrees curve in the bottom left of the image, where the two possible tracks join. This seems like a hard to defend curve and a strange "kink" in the trajectory.

It reminds me (with arbitrary colors) of an official FIA depiction of a circuit (1 Mb PDF warning!). It is the first one I have seen in my entire life... m3_lover: Do you have any more of these? The FIA examples are cleaner, but the information seems similar.

FIA official drawing

By the way: what do you think of paving almost all the gravel traps?
Can any of you direct us to an article or something about the design of decceleration areas in a racetrack?

Why do they use leca on gravel traps? Actually, do they use that? I have not found anything about how you design the runoff areas when you use it.

Is this leca the same Lightweight Expanded Clay Aggregate I've seen for gardening? Isn't that thing too porous?

Perhaps that are too much questions... thanks anyway if you have the time and the audacity to say something.
Ciro

bhall
bhall

Ciro Pabón wrote:By the way: what do you think of paving almost all the gravel traps?
Nah. Install moats. That would make for very interesting racing. :lol:

Ciro Pabón

bhallg2k wrote:
Ciro Pabón wrote:By the way: what do you think of paving almost all the gravel traps?
Nah. Install moats. That would make for very interesting racing. :lol:
Now that you mention it, the FIA has been considering the idea. You know, Schu"moat"cher is retiring and they might come handy for some extra-crashes and excitement.

Besides, tifosis could be located there (in the moats): this way their flags won't block the view of everybody.

They could serve a third purpose: yatch parking. This way, Kimi won't have to walk that much to the pits, like in last Monaco GP. Think about it: he is going to be a real test of endurance for Ferrari engines. :wink:

What about the leca?
Ciro

WhiteBlue

Re: Korea Gp Track Layout

The track some days before Karun's run

before the run

The crowd today.

Paddock

The start/finish straight from the commentators box.

Karun Chandhok wrote:Done my first 5 laps of circuit in road car…. Layout looks really interesting actually – 1st half slow and technical but then opens up. 4 or 5 mega quick corners which should be fun for the drivers and the first sector should be good for overtaking.
Just been out for the first run of an F1 car on the Korean circuit ! Very slippery but fun!!!

When the track rubbers up for the race weekend will be very interesting… Got a great flow to it especially in sectors 2 and 3! There’s undoubtedly a lot of work still to be done around the circuit but the Kavo guys seem confident it’ll be done!

It’s a really interesting layout. The track’s got a good mix of corners and I think we’ll see a lot of overtaking in the first sector – there are long straights into slow hairpins. The straight after turn one and two is really long, so we may see some good slip streaming there, like in Shanghai. From turn seven onwards, there’s a fast section of flowing corners all the way back to the start-finish line – so I think the Red Bull Racing guys will be happy in sectors two and three. It’s an interesting layout.

Looking at the facilities, the garages and team buildings look pretty much finished and they’re big! I think teams will need to bring around 30% more furniture to fill them! The grandstands also look reasonably finished. The track itself needs a bit more work on the asphalt and the kerbs, but the organisers think it’s all within their time-lines and are confident that it will be ready on time. And the locations nice, we’re overlooking the sea.

There’s certainly some enthusiasm for F1 here. There are a lot of people at the event today, which wasn’t heavily publicised, and there’s a lot of media, which shows an interest. The organisers say they have sold a significant amount of tickets, so it should be a good race. It’s been great to drive the Red Bull car again and thanks to my team, HRT F1, for letting me complete this demonstration run.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

PlatinumZealot

I think this will be one of the better tracks. The video on youtube gives a good impression.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Heres a fact about the track, you will be able to race on it in the new F1 2010 game before any of the real world cars actually pound arround it. Expect many drivers to use this as the actual simulator as they will have nill data on their real one, exept maybes Red Bull.

horse

Chandok doing three laps posted on autosport. Best overtaking around the new hairpin at turn 4/5, I reckon.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIp258UM ... r_embedded[/youtube]
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

WhiteBlue

The track does look more finished than I thought it would. They should be able to complete this in the next three weeks.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Giblet
Giblet

It appears the track is slightly damp and they are on inters?

Hard to tell from the video. Good job for a demonstration at an unfinished track in a car he hasn't driven AFAIK.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Pandamasque

horse wrote:Chandok doing three laps posted on autosport. Best overtaking around the new hairpin at turn 4/5, I reckon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIp258UM ... r_embedded
Cosworth V10?

horse

Giblet wrote:It appears the track is slightly damp and they are on inters?
They look like full wets to me. I guess this is because the track is so dusty. Could a slick damage a fresh surface? I doubt it. They were getting pretty bald, anyway, by the time he was done.

It was in an RB5, by the way.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

myurr
myurr

horse wrote:
Giblet wrote:It appears the track is slightly damp and they are on inters?
They look like full wets to me. I guess this is because the track is so dusty. Could a slick damage a fresh surface? I doubt it. They were getting pretty bald, anyway, by the time he was done.

It was in an RB5, by the way.
It's probably because he wasn't pushing it at all through the corners so it's easier to keep the heat in the tyres on the wets.

I'm really not convinced by the track from that on board. It's very Tilke. Couple of long straights with low speed corners into and out of them and then just a rather bland sequence of slow to mediumish corners throughout the rest. It may well produce a fantastic race (hopefully) in which case no one will care, but at the moment it seems like just another Tilke-drome. Bland with absolutely no character.

sknguy
sknguy

Looks like it'll be a decent circuit. I'm not particularly fond of the way the wall starts abruptly on the outside of turn 2. I hope they make it, instead, transition onto the track with a tire barrier.

Turns 5 and 6 are really boring. Looking at it they should have taken out turn 5. This would make the "S" turns of 7 and 8 more interesting at higher speed. I don't see the logic of the turn combination of 5 & 6?

Turns 11 and 12 are a left handed double apex with negative camber. They finish into a slower right hand turn 13, which has positive camber. This section should be interesting at race speed.

Turns 14 and 15 are also pretty boring. Two ninety degree turns just kinda thrown-in. Maybe should have been a short straight ending into a chicane perhaps.

I think finding the right throttle for turn 18 is cool. Eighteen seems to be meant as a setup for some drafting down the start/finish straight.

Some interesting sections, some boring ones. Seems like a bit of a rushed design though but we'll see how it plays out at race speeds. For driving, I think 11, 12 & 13 will be interesting and 18 & 19 are kinda cool.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the reason I suggested substituting a short straight for the two ninety degree turns of 14 and 15 was that, if you get it wrong, or someone forces a mistake coming out of the off-camber turn 13, the person behind would have a better chance of passing at the end of a short straight.

mep

Why do they still hire Tilke to do boring race tracks?
Apart from promotion trash talk I haven’t hear much positive thinks about his tracks.
On the first look the track somehow reminds me of Malaysia. Looking closer it seems like it has a lot of medium speed corners followed by short straights. So this will be a bit like Hungry where overtaking is impossible. I would like to see tracks with corner combinations. So drivers are able to drive side by side because a disadvantaged position in one corner will turn to a advantage in the next one. Also a driving mistake will lead to bigger problems because the position for the next sweep will be not optimal.