Korea Gp Track Layout

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
WhiteBlue

Re: Korea Gp Track Layout

The FiA has now issued a circuit diagram.

Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

ecapox

I think it looks good.

Turns 1-2 will be med speed double apex.
Turn 11 is a nice tightening turn like China.
Turns 15-16 another double apex with med speed.
Turn 17 nice full out turn leading into main straight.

I dont understand why you guys give Tilke such a hard time. Not all of his tracks are great, but neither were all of Leonardo's inventions. I think Korea and US will be two great additions to the F1 circus.

FW17

Twenty corners with no names is always going to be difficult to follow. I always prefer circuits with fewer corners with decent space between them, tilke tracks as this track are just so cluttered with corners, just look at sector 2 and 3 there are just so many of them that it seems crazy. Just look at silverstone monza imola I could draw these and name every corner from the first season, wonder how many can do that with a tilke track.

Personally I think new Delhi circuit is the only one with a simple layout but even that has one too many hair pin bends.

Pandamasque

ecapox wrote:I dont understand why you guys give Tilke such a hard time. Not all of his tracks are great, but neither were all of Leonardo's inventions.
As far as understatements go, this was not a small one :lol:
horse wrote:It was in an RB5, by the way.
Why does it sound nothing like RB5 or any other V8?

ringo

horse wrote:Chandok doing three laps posted on autosport. Best overtaking around the new hairpin at turn 4/5, I reckon.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIp258UM ... r_embedded[/youtube]
It's good that the track is wide. Can expect some side by side action from Vettel.
For Sure!!

horse

Pandamasque wrote:Why does it sound nothing like RB5 or any other V8?
Perhaps it was like C'était un Rendezvous and they dubbed the film over with the sound of a Ferrari 275GTB?
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

strad

At least he doesn't have his signature kink at the end of a straight to ruin passing as he has done in the past.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

747heavy

Pandamasque wrote:
ecapox wrote:I dont understand why you guys give Tilke such a hard time. Not all of his tracks are great, but neither were all of Leonardo's inventions.
As far as understatements go, this was not a small one :lol:
horse wrote:It was in an RB5, by the way.
Why does it sound nothing like RB5 or any other V8?
photo from RBR promo car:

more photos can be found here - not from the Korea event:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical ... umbai.html
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

Steven
Owner

Unbelievable really how much work there needs to be done. It looks to me like the whole track needs a final layer of asphalt.

Also, does anybody know if these fences alongside the straights are there to stay? Looks to me like a dangerous situation and highly unnecessary after seeing the aerial view of the track.

What strikes me most are the changes made to the track from the original layout published by Tilke and this FIA track map. Turn 1 and 2 for instance are now somewhat reversed with Turn 1 now tigher than 2, while Turn 4 has also been made tighter by adding a right hander right after it. There may be a lot of talk about Tilke track, and while these changes might increase overtaking possibilities, does it not rob this track of some interesting sections that hardly any other track has?

Paul

I quite like the 16-17-18 combo, will reserve my judgement on everything else for later...

ernos5

By the sounds and pics, the promo car seems to be a V10? :o

Giblet
Giblet

I suspect that a combination of a different mic and it's placement accounts for the change in the sound. The 4 pipes coming out of one side of the motor tells me it's a v8.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

WhiteBlue

Tomba wrote:Unbelievable really how much work there needs to be done. It looks to me like the whole track needs a final layer of asphalt.

Also, does anybody know if these fences alongside the straights are there to stay? Looks to me like a dangerous situation and highly unnecessary after seeing the aerial view of the track.

What strikes me most are the changes made to the track from the original layout published by Tilke and this FIA track map. Turn 1 and 2 for instance are now somewhat reversed with Turn 1 now tigher than 2, while Turn 4 has also been made tighter by adding a right hander right after it.
I think you are right that they will have another layer of some 50 mm to do. But that is a matter of 2 or three days with the right equipment.

Regarding fences one should consider that they are going to build houses around the lower part of the track. The whole site is recently reclaimed land and there will be a lot of housing to go up when the non permanent part of the track is ready.

Regarding the original Tilke design versus the executed I also find the additions of all those slow corners sad. But knowing Bernie's appetite for sponsor exposure in slow corners I can imagine who was behind the changes.
Last edited by WhiteBlue on 08 Sep 2010, 08:52, edited 2 times in total.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

If anything was ever meant to be right next to each other it was a race track and a residential community.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

SiLo

I wish they would make more open tracks such as Spa and Monza. With much longer, bigger, sweeping corners and much longer straights, I find these kinds of tracks yield more exciting racing (IMO). Having a really long straight is great, but all teams know that you can't gain much time from it, so will go for higher downforce setups for the silly amount of continuous corners in sectors 2 and 3.
Felipe Baby!