Alonso hardly worthy

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Lightspeed

Alonso hardly worthy

Scuderia_Russ

:lol: An opinion and a half! Talks sense on a lot of points, especially why the hell do Renault still employ Fissi, Alonso acting like a spoilt brat etc.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

johny

um i won't count much in his opinions he's probably wearing some ferrari underwear

bhall
bhall

The author makes a few valid points, even though he lacks any sort of style.

Alonso did come off as a "spoiled brat" when things weren't falling into place for him and Renault from Monza up until Japan. He could learn a lot from Schu in that regard; during his career, you never heard Schu throw his team under the bus. But Alonso's young, and he still has yet to face any sort of real adversity in his F1 career. I don't fault him for not knowing how to deal with it.

If he acts that way at McLaren next year when that #1 car is only 3rd or 4th fastest...well, that's another story.

However, I completely understand his moving to McLaren. When he made the deal, it wasn't known if Renault was even going to stay in the sport or not. He saw an solid opportunity and took it. It was the right play.

In fact, I rather admire the move. He's had it relatively easy so far in that he immediately landed in the right place at the right time. The mark of a true champion is whether or not he can duplicate his success under totally different circumstances.

pRo

That writer sure has some opinions. :lol:

I can't understand why he calls Alonso the lucky one though. I guess you can call Schumis blown engine lucky for Alonso if you wish, but then again, Alonso blew an engine too, after what most feel more than unlucky events, but lets not go there again.

The fuel pump issue and the puncture? Well, they didn't really matter, did they? The title would've been Alonsos, even if Schumi won the last one.

But if we're talking about luck, one can't ignore the the two wheel/pitguy issues Alonso had, can he? If and if and so on, but with any luck those wouldn't have happened and the title might've been his before Brazil.

Am I still on my anti-schumi mood, or is that guy making no sense? :?

Scuderia_Russ wrote:why the hell do Renault still employ Fissi
Why not? He's been a good #2 for them, getting the title to Renault twice in a row. Without knowing how much Renault pays him, I'd dare to guess that Fisi is one of the cheapest drivers per points. I can't imagine him getting that much...

Who else would've been better and why? Alonso left, Schumi quit and Kimi went elsewhere. All the rest are #2's anyway, especially the ones that were on free market at that time. They could've ended with something worse. :?

bhallg2k wrote:Alonso did come off as a "spoiled brat" when things weren't falling into place for him and Renault from Monza up until Japan.
I agree, there was no need to make the point through media. But he did make that point and whether it was that or something completely else, he did get the title. <insert the talk about luck here>

If he acts that way at McLaren next year when that #1 car is only 3rd or 4th fastest...well, that's another story.
Who knows. Maybe the politically correct brits need a verbal kick in the a*s too. Someone who says things the way they are, not how McLaren taught them to. We can only wait and see.
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you

Scuderia_Russ

pRo wrote:
Scuderia_Russ wrote:why the hell do Renault still employ Fissi
Why not? He's been a good #2 for them, getting the title to Renault twice in a row. Without knowing how much Renault pays him, I'd dare to guess that Fisi is one of the cheapest drivers per points. I can't imagine him getting that much...

Who else would've been better and why?
These last two years Alonso has destroyed Fissi. Now they are all going to be looking to him to lead the team next year. When Fissi is bringing the car home in fourth, fifth and sixth... every member of that team will be thinking 'mmm, I wonder where Alonso would have finished in the same car' Morale will crumble relying on the guy, and I wouldn't be surprised if Piquet Jnr is in his seat for 2008. Who else would have been better you ask? Even Webber!
-Henry Ford-

pRo

Scuderia_Russ wrote:Now they are all going to be looking to him to lead the team next year.
Not all, I cheer for Heikki and I can't be the only one. 8)
(I do know what you mean though)

I wouldn't be surprised if Piquet Jnr is in his seat for 2008.
He probably will, didn't they just give one extra year for Fisi?

Scuderia_Russ

Not sure. I did read somewhere that he was after an extension of between three and five years though!!
-Henry Ford-

smithy343
smithy343

I think its hard to say that fissi can lead renault to success, i mean he had the same car as alonso, the same horse power, just not the points or first places.
I dont see how renault can use him as a number one, they need to bring in a world class driver the likes of button or webber maybe bring someone up like gary P, does anyone know the situation on lewis hamiton will he go to McLaren and is anthony davies going to super aguri, good finish for sato in the final race :)

Hudsonhawk.
Hudsonhawk.

Lol.....anyone is more worthy that shytemacher.....but someone has to step up to the plate of "RAT". I just dont think this guy will get the love and support from the other RATs within this flea infested, money hungry sport.

Its funny because everything possible was done to try and swing the tide towards fruitrarri......and it literally blew up in their face.

Ohhh, if he thinks renault abandoned him.....wait til he sits in that mcrapen moocedes. For that moocedes has "al qaeda" tendencies.....BANGGGG...

Hey....where is manchild......???? :D

Rob W

bhallg2k wrote:...He could learn a lot from Schu in that regard; during his career, you never heard Schu throw his team under the bus.
Yet at the same time I heard (on many many occassions) Schumy saying things about other drivers such as "he acted in an unprofessional manner" or that he was "going to have a chat to xx about his actions on the track". Many of these occassions he was just talking in Schu-speak.. angry, opinionated and often plain wrong. Sure they're his opinion, but he said them publically and only negative connotations could come from them.

Just because he didn't slate his own team publically doesn't make him any more of a sportsman/gentleman than Alonso at all to me. At least Alsonso says what he means and means what he says.

At Alonso's age Schumy was already running people off the track to win races so he hasn't got a single thing to crow about in that respect.

The guy is a legend and we should leave it at that. If, in ten years, Alonso can match up numbers-wise then we wil be able to debate it fairly.

Rob W

pRo

Rob W wrote:If, in ten years, Alonso can match up numbers-wise then we wil be able to debate it fairly.
Alonso already said that he won't be in F1 long enough to match Schumi's numbers. He said he would be happy to match the three of Senna.

Then again, if things go well for him, who knows if he still feels like quitting after three.

Ciro Pabón

I haven't been around for a couple of days, given the absence of topics devoted to technical matters. Anyway, with all the problems I have about giving reasons about why "XYZ is the best" or "ABC is the worst", allow me to comment that this article has its share of "common places". At least, I've read many like that, not counting the posts, here, there and everywhere.

I admire Alonso for his valiant attitude this year. Spending over 200 millions on a car that loses a wheelnut on crucial races... well. What would you say to your car dealer if this happened on your stock car? Twice.

What I don't like is the opposite: "We are a happy family and I don't care about how many times they make a mistake". I won't qualify that attitude, but you know the word for it.

I don't know if we should blame Alonso's attitude on stereotypes, as people tend to do: "He spoke because he is latin", "He is reserved because he is nordic", "He complains about FIA because he is a brat". C'mon, give me a break. You know the truth: Alonso likes to say it loud and clear, that's it, and he has a soul brave enough to do it, perfectly aware of the consequences (you spoil the spectacle for the powers that be) and the benefits (you attract the rebel party towards your side). What is De la Rosa, another spaniard, saying about the less than spectacular McLaren? Nothing. He has nothing to win by it.

About Alonso moving to McLaren, he did it for the money and, perhaps, because Mercedes is buying it. It seems totally rational to me.

What I don't like is the opposite: "I risk my life and limb because I enjoy it". It sounds an equally forced attitude to me.

He had the chance to move to another team while his "stock" was raising. It is funny to see a professional article so devoted to moral reasons instead of monetary considerations. Alonso has stated on numerous occasions that he wants to reach three championships, like Senna, and that he is not going to race for a long time. How does that fit with the article?

Finally, it is an "old and well known joke" in Colombia that every time the championship of anything is finished, the second team fans allege that the champion had luck, remembering the crucial moments that things were in favor of the first place team. We call it "the luck of the champion".

Of course the champion had luck: if he hadn't he wouldn't be the champion. Soccer championship in your respective countries is about to end. Take a look at the post-season commentaries of the second team supporters. Luck my ....
Ciro

West
West

Re: Alonso hardly worthy

Lightspeed wrote:Here's an opinion :

http://espnstar.com/studio/studio_colde ... 11841.html
Here's an opinion:

That article was effing stupid.

Fisichella was probably resigned to give the youngsters some advice and have some sort of development continuity in the car.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

manchild
manchild

:^o