winter tests-Barcelona

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
djones
djones

Anybody know what the sticky out thing is in the middle of the wheel??

johny

a wheel nut

Tom

I think that's the part of the nut the gun hold onto so you don't loose the nuts in a pitstop.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

leomax
leomax

williams HQ
http://xs410.xs.to/xs410/06485/deh0629no52.jpg

Principessa wrote:Nice pics...You took them?
Nope :wink:

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

djones wrote:Anybody know what the sticky out thing is in the middle of the wheel??
That device is part of the wheel quick change mechanism. In the "out" position, it locks the wheel nut from rotating off. So all the mechanic needs to do is insert the air gun (pushes the thing in and unlocks the wheel nut), squeeze the trigger and rotate the wheel nut off. Then of course, reverse to tighten the nut on the wheel assembly. If you watch the pit stops during races, many times the mechanic will quickly reach out and pull out on the thing, to ensure the wheel nut is secured. This is his last move before the car is released.

Hondanisti

it's what failed in the right rear of the R26 in Hungary and factored in Ferrari's comeback.

http://www.motorsport.com/photos/f1/200 ... p-0642.jpg
Hungaroring 2006: Honda Stopped Dreaming & Got On With It!

INTEGRATION & LEARNING

f1.redbaron

1:15s for Toyota?

Yesterday the best time of the day was 16.4, and now Toyota is doing 15.9? What's up with that?

http://www.f1racing.net/en/testresults.php?testID=626

Hondanisti

look at what happened at Suzuka 2006 qualifying and then what happened in the race and you will have your answer.

lighter fuel load, shorter run evaluation on the softest of the 4 compounds available...
Hungaroring 2006: Honda Stopped Dreaming & Got On With It!

INTEGRATION & LEARNING

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

You really can't form any valid opinion at this phase of seasonal development. The cars could be set up any way the engineers choose. In fact, they don't even have to be spec-legal. So (almost) any team wanting to grab the headlines can post impressive times.

f1.redbaron

Hondanisti wrote: lighter fuel load, shorter run evaluation on the softest of the 4 compounds available...
Yeah, but Massa's best time wasn't set when he dragging an anchor. It too came when he was the lightest.

DaveKillens wrote:You really can't form any valid opinion at this phase of seasonal development. The cars could be set up any way the engineers choose. In fact, they don't even have to be spec-legal. So (almost) any team wanting to grab the headlines can post impressive times.
But did they grab any headlines? If you go to F1racing.net, the headline is still Hakinnen saying that the car hasn't changed that much. And, I didn't read about Toyota's timess off of some F1 internet site. Knowing that they were in 17's over the past two days, I was just curious to see how they did, and that's when it struck me.

btw, I'm not saying that they have shaved-off two seconds. I know that they can do whatever they want...however it is weird how they decided to start their testing a day after everybody else, in order to be the only ones to test on Fri, and that on that day they managed to post 15's.

Carlos
Carlos

Toyota was holding it's cards closely -- very strategic. Perhaps it was good advertising -- and they sold a couple of hundred extra road cars Friday -- perhaps Toyota F1 is just modest. Many layers, many mysteries.
Like the " Thank You" Thread --

Tom

Nothing happening there now but they have a webcam for the Nuirburngring too:
http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

vyselegend

Tom wrote:Nothing happening there now but they have a webcam for the Nuirburngring too
Good thing to know, thanks! :wink:
vyselegend wrote: I was wondering also, what is the current situation of team's packages? I mean is williams running the Toyota engine, STR the ferrari block and Red Bull the RS26? I'm quite sure it isn't the case already, but when will they start then?
I'm answering to myself, just in case it did interest someone else, that both RedBull's (STR-Ferrari/RBR-Renault) and Williams-Toyota engine agreements take effect on january.
I guess it is the same for Spyker-Ferrari.

Reca
Reca

Talking about testing it’s possible to download a pdf with all the laptimes of the day at Jerez circuit : http://www.crono-jerez.com. Going to be useful soon ;-)
vyselegend wrote: I'm answering to myself, just in case it did interest someone else, that both RedBull's (STR-Ferrari/RBR-Renault) and Williams-Toyota engine agreements take effect on january.
I guess it is the same for Spyker-Ferrari.
I was under the impression that Williams was already testing with Toyota engine, isn’t that the case ?

johny

yes, it's true