"Oil Bomb"? from Renault radio transcript. What

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
captainmorgan
captainmorgan

"Oil Bomb"? from Renault radio transcript. What

F1-live has a pretty cool transcript of 2006 China of the entire Renault radio feed.

In it, sometimes the race engineers ask the drivers to do an "oil bomb", what is this?

ketanpaul

Maybe it is for incresing the oil intake of the engine to produce more revs

manchild
manchild

Perhaps it is James Bondish thing: push the button - spill some oil - loose the chasers on next turn :lol:

zac510
zac510

:lol: manchild.

I'm sure it would be just a dumping of a secondary storage of oil into the main tank when the oil level in the main tank is getting low.
Teams have similar kind of systems for coolant too although some might be automated.

sebbe
sebbe

I found this transcript very, very interesting.
I think we will never see something like this coming from McLaren; Renault has always been keen on sharing this kind of information.

Although it is clear that they didn't post all the radio communications it gives us an idea of what's going on between the driver and the pit wall crew.
For those interested I downloaded the transcript because the guys from F1-Live delete the links after a day or two (but the files are still available today!).
"I've already altered the deal, pray I don't alter it any further" -Darth Vader to Lando Calrissian. The Empire Strikes Back.
"Progress is not always made by reasonable men." (McLaren Racing).
"We have optimised the lateral optical interface of the building." (Translation: "My factory has a lot of windows.") Ron Dennis.-

Ciro Pabón

I believe that the F1 engines are of the dry-sump type. Anyway, I assume that the pump must have a reservoir.

Perhaps, maybe, Nelson is influenced by the jargon spoken by the mechanics or Alonso? Or (perhaps, maybe), is a joke on Alonso?

I say that because in spanish (not sure about french) the same word is used for bomb and pump: "bomba". This could be it.
Ciro

manchild
manchild

Ciro Pabón wrote:I believe that the F1 engines are of the dry-sump type. Anyway, I assume that the pump must have a reservoir.

Perhaps, maybe, Nelson is influenced by the jargon spoken by the mechanics or Alonso? Or (perhaps, maybe), is a joke on Alonso?

I say that because in spanish (not sure about french) the same word is used for bomb and pump: "bomba". This could be it.
Yep, F1 engines are dry sump engines with oil reservoir vertically attached on front end of the engine.

dark gray bottle with silver top=oil reservoir

[img::]http://lo.redjupiter.com/images/Ferrari ... 001001.jpg[/img]

on this BMW engine you can see that oil reservoir is on top of the pump

[img::]http://fmotor.nifty.com/f1/images/bmw_engine_l3.jpg[/img]