Ferrari 2007?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
zac510
zac510

Maybe it is the same size oil cooler but just in a different location? :roll:

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

That was a shock load that made the gearbox go boom. But with the back end so tightly packaged now, it seems logical to run an oil cooling duct from the airbox, down the spine, and to a heat exchanger somewhere around the gearbox. A few years ago the regulations required a larger airbox size (more room for sponsors), so this is a good application in using this space.

During the race, I tried to observe the Ferrari tire wear, and especially considering the Massa did the first half of the race on softs, wear seems well under control and this must give other teams cause for concern.

Minicucci

I was not really surprised by the F2007 gearbox failure, I had noticed during testing a few too many times Massa or Badoer being parked on the side of the track scoping out the rear end, with no tell tale smoke signs. But aside from that slight glitch, which im sure they will have figured out by Malaysia, Ferrari had a near perfect race, lest we not forget Kimi's " I nearly fell asleep" comment. It's good to see such a postive attitude in the team! I'm really excited for this up comming year. The f2007 looks it is a true improvement over the 248, not that it really needed it from last season. Ferrari worked hard to iron out those engine glitches and are hopefully back to thier championship ways.

RH1300S
RH1300S

manchild wrote:
manchild wrote:Posted:Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:07 pm
Perhaps their new gearbox requires big oil radiator?
\:D/
Thought you would like to hear that :D

In fact it seems more likely that with the very tight packaging in the sidepods they have moved the gearbox cooling elsewhere,

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

http://www.f1technical.net/news/6117

From what I understood, the key to Ferrari improving their '07 season is to improve their qualifying pace.

But do you guys believe that as long as Ferrari qualifies both F2007's on the front row they will get the upper hand on Mclaren and start winning races? I'm not sure whether that is the only "department" needing an improvement.

Ferrari's overall race pace seems to need some improvement as well. Because as we have seen from the last three races, LH and FA pull away with an incredible ease.

And I'm not sure whether the only problem within Ferrari is the F2007's development rate (compared to Mclarens), but the drivers, more specifically KR. As I do not speak with him, nor do I know him, I can only come to the conclusion that he is extremely frustated. I can certainly understand him, but I dont understand his lack of pace lately. Whether he has less ambition or not, I do not know, but I hope he steps up his game and helps with the F2007's development for the upcoming races. It would really be appreciated by the entire team and supporters. And as of the NA leg of the season, reliability has not been an issue for him, nor for Massa. With the fast, reliable car he has been looking forward to, we can at least hope he starts to deliver excellent results the rest of the season.

Good luck to the entire scuderia from all of their loyal supporters worldwide. I do not call for a total domination of F1 like in previous years, but simply an actual challenge for McLaren! Would a Constructors Championship be too much to ask for considering we're 35 pts behind seven races in :?:

mx_tifosi
--------------------------------------
My 248th post!!!!
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

checkered

It's not qualifying

pace as such. It's more about extracting the most from the tyres from the very first lap onwards ... plus they need to work on their launch control. The tyre issue is a bit surprising, but it seems that's one area that McLaren has solved better than anyone, they're very consistent ... so much for the Bridgestone advantage for Ferrari, then. Just read what Baldisseri has just said. And reliability? Well, there was Barcelona ...

There's nothing wrong with Ferrari's race pace, actually. Look at the laptimes for Kimi in Indy for example - fastest lap of the race and lapping very consistently as the fastest man on the track for much of the race. Not by a large margin, but had he gotten a better start, with the pace he had he certainly would've been able to put real pressure on the McLarens through the race. I don't know how that implies frustration, but it certainly is hard to read him. McLaren basically threw last year's development in favor of MP4-22, yet he didn't criticize his team outright even once, always referring to the effort in terms of "we", "us" and "our". Why he should've changed his tight lipped approach to commenting on his own team at Ferrari, I don't know.

Whether there will be a fight for the WCC depends much on whether McLaren's new upgrade really is a big step forward. They certainly didn't expect to win both Canada and US so if they keep momentum, they're on a pretty solid footing. The dynamics of the situation could change if towards the end of the season BMW gains momentum and Ferrari gets back on top of the game.

Given that Ron wants to retire a winner, McLaren will be a tough team to beat for some time to come. You have to remember that Raikkonen himself is propably the one person who's the least under any illusions about McLaren's prowess - and yet he chose to go to Ferrari very early on. Exactly to what degree his decision was rational and to what degree it was emotional is for him alone to know.

modbaraban
modbaraban

checkered wrote:... plus they need to work on their launch control.
:shock: :?: :?: :?:

Wasn't it banned quite awhile ago.

checkered

Quite many teams are

referring publicly to "launch systems", which are in turn "controlled" by a ... switch or a button on the steering wheel. The difference, at least to me, is subtle to say the least.

modbaraban
modbaraban

checkered wrote:Quite many teams are

referring publicly to "launch systems", which are in turn "controlled" by a ... switch or a button on the steering wheel. The difference, at least to me, is subtle to say the least.
But there IS some difference, right? What it is then? Please, if someone can go into details of the launch procedure in 2007 please do. Thanks.

PS: sorry for the OT :oops:

Militia Est Vita

IMO Kimi's departure from McLaren was quite emotional. Since he first got to Ferrari he sound quite mad at Mclaren saying that Ferrari was a much better place, very warm, not as cold and all the 'Dennis control freak' stuff. And now, I think he has to be quite frustrated to see he left Mclaren in what it seems to be the team's best shape since 2001.

Also IMO I don't know at what degree Ferrari is also lacking of a meticulous driver in the technical aspect as Shumacher was, It seems that Mclaren benefited from Alonso's arraival in that point and Renault is sttrugling maybe in part because of that same 'technical interested driver' issue, and we all have heard that Kimi is not much of a technical guy.

Who knows, maybe I'm just talking out of muy butt here :P

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

modbaraban wrote:But there IS some difference, right? What it is then? Please, if someone can go into details of the launch procedure in 2007 please do. Thanks.
Is this the answer you are looking for?:
SLS: Launch system control, which finds the optimum settings for current conditions. When you go to a warmup lap, you can optimize the grip and clutch positions for start.
viewtopic.php?p=54754#54754

Tifoso

Some updates in our car!

As you can see:

-New small winglets in front of the cockpit
-New "plates" (I don't know how to call them), or radial "things" for the front wheels, with a curved form
-Thinner arms in the mirrors
-Also thinner or at least more straight end part of the top element from the front wing
-Curved down part of the front down wing that nearly touches the other part.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

No wonder we're behind in development!
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/60025

Spencifer_Murphy

Thats strange, Ferrari have basically said "We're taking Stephney to court...but we're not going to say what for!"

How un usual...
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Major aero updates planned for Japanese GP :!:

:arrow: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61902

Definately a must if we want to remain competitive against McLaren for the rest of the season. Reliability seems to be in check, so we can only add to our considerably good performance from now on, hopefully.

Maybe we can regain our title this season. Things just might turn out ok in the end.