Renault - new monocoque fins

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
allan
allan

looks like even though they moved the mirrors, they replaced them with an additional pair of wings on their old position... like it :wink:

Sawtooth-spike

Nice spot!

They look very wavy. Do u think they are there to help airflow? they dont look like they have the angle of attack to generate much downforce.

Its odd that car looks alot better when its dirty.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Maybe they have found that removing the mirrors and their mounts has had some unforeseen drawbacks...

allan
allan

from the way i see it, i think they're used to direct more air to the rear wing..
and ya, u r right, the car does look better when it's dirt, maybe because it to WHITISH!!! :D
and i was wondering, has anyone seen dave lately?

vyselegend

Since the begining of winter testing, I was wondering why they ran without the "ears" that were on top of the front suspention mounting point last year while other teams were copying it.

Maybe moving the mirrors to the sidepods shields is just about "freeing" this area of the car in order to move their ears back there.

Indeed the design is strange. Reminds me of the complex shape of the TF107 new upper wishbones.

allan
allan

from this side, u can see that the wings are actually going slightly backwards
sorry princepessa, im using these photos from other sites, but i can't find any photo with the new components in the gallery :wink:

ginsu
ginsu

I think those 'wings' are to clean up the airflow going to the rear wing. The front wing leaves a pretty large wake and the flow conditioners are inline with the upper and lower seamline of the monocoque. So it straightens the flow from below the seamline.
I love to love Senna.

EAKMotorsports
EAKMotorsports

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·` * EAK

Tom

reminds me off swept back wings like the TomCat had in high speed mode, I would suggest its just the right position to seperate air going over and into the sidepod, as you car see it curves up at the ends, complimenting the inverted 'L' of the radiator inlets don't you think?
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Similar to the function of the Honda's "ears" that sprouted mid season last year...