Tyre colouring in 2007

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
wrk

just while we are on tyres, is it this year that the colour coded tyres come into play??
all of the pre season pics ive seen have been all blacks, no red or blue bans on the side walls.

cheers
gentlemen start your engines......

rkn

if ur refering to the champ car style colours, there wont be any color coded tyres, at least not this year..

Rob W

wrk wrote:just while we are on tyres, is it this year that the colour coded tyres come into play??
all of the pre season pics ive seen have been all blacks, no red or blue bans on the side walls.
There wont be any coloured tires.. every team would protest about it... as it would certainly screw up the aesthetics of their livery and potentially annoy major sponsors... I doubt Ferrari would want to run blue-walled tires, and I know Renault wouldn't run red-walled tires.

Better to keep tires black and low-key in that respect.

Rob W

pRo

More about the tyres. FIA has ruled that Bridgestone must mark the tyre compounds so, that anyone can see which one they are running.

The rules don't specify how and they don't even mention different colours. Just that they have to be clearly marked on the outer tyre wall.

I suppose different colours would be a reasonable way to make them clearly show up at any speed.
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you

RH1300S
RH1300S

I believe there were two issues with tyre marking.

1 - the teams didn't want to give anything away during a race - so were against

2 - Bridgestone had a problem with marking the sidewalls (if all one colour). It appears that a tyre that might be "soft" at one track might be "medium" at another and so on. So, they would have to throw away tyres rather than simply re-allocate at the next track.

The rules now state that the tyre must be distinguishable while the car is on track. So it looks like they will mark the sidewalls in some way. Lets face it - a big blue or yellow sticker (Michelin colours :wink:

wrk

gentlemen start your engines......

manchild
manchild

Check this:
According to Marc Surers latest column in "MOTORSPORT aktuell", normaly a very trustworthy source concerning F1 things, this years bridgestone tyre is directly based on the 2004 version of the Japanese tyre! You remember that year which Ferrari dominated even worse than 2002... sadly there is no inet source with which I can prove this claim, but anybody in the German-speaking area can buy the the latest edition of MSA until tuesday. If this is true, Bridgestone didn't lie to us when saying that the 2007 racing tyre is completely different to last year ones, nonetheless this leaves a very shallow taste, and might explain why Ferrari went such a different way in constructing their 07 car. The new Ferrari has a bigger wheelbase and much more weight in the back of the car, and quite some people recently wondered why they did this. If this report is true, there is a big chance that this years F1 championship is already decided, and the "most exciting championship since ages" wont be that exciting.
Did anyone buy that edition of MOTORSPORT aktuell?

m3_lover

I thought it was based on the harder and longer life tyre from 2005?
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

allan
allan

here we start again...the usual bs.. i knew it :wink:

Scuderia_Russ

manchild wrote:Check this:
According to Marc Surers latest column in "MOTORSPORT aktuell", normaly a very trustworthy source concerning F1 things, this years bridgestone tyre is directly based on the 2004 version of the Japanese tyre! You remember that year which Ferrari dominated even worse than 2002... sadly there is no inet source with which I can prove this claim, but anybody in the German-speaking area can buy the the latest edition of MSA until tuesday. If this is true, Bridgestone didn't lie to us when saying that the 2007 racing tyre is completely different to last year ones, nonetheless this leaves a very shallow taste, and might explain why Ferrari went such a different way in constructing their 07 car. The new Ferrari has a bigger wheelbase and much more weight in the back of the car, and quite some people recently wondered why they did this. If this report is true, there is a big chance that this years F1 championship is already decided, and the "most exciting championship since ages" wont be that exciting.
Did anyone buy that edition of MOTORSPORT aktuell?
What's a "very shallow taste"? And I'll believe it when I see Jean Todt confirming it!
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

GTO

..."this years bridgestone tyre is directly based on the 2004 version of the Japanese tyre! You remember that year which Ferrari dominated even worse than 2002...
this leaves a very shallow taste, and might explain why Ferrari went such a different way in constructing their 07 car. The new Ferrari has a bigger wheelbase and much more weight in the back of the car, and quite some people recently wondered why they did this."
Is this more unsourced BS to support your paranoi MS?
Can yu explain why Ferrari would redesign their car with extended wheelbase & all? Why not just redesign 2004 championship winning car to meet current specs?

m3_lover

There are a lot of differences from the F2004 to the F2007 like for instance a V8 which changes all the bodywork for the rear and radiator outlets and check the front wing of the F2004 to the F2007. This is some of the stuff that has changed from 2004 to 2007
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

vyselegend

I fail to see anything bad in manchild's post. It has become extremely annoying that no one can say anything on the red team since this forum welcomed some die hard shumi fans last year.

Questions and wonders are totally legitimate about the fairness of Ferrari and Bridgestone, considering the recent history of the sport. It would be very naive not to suspect that anything might go wrong there, but most of all, if you read MC's post, he only wrote: "Check this:" and "Did anyone buy that edition of MOTORSPORT aktuell?" The whole article isn't his. I can't see any team bashing in there.

I can perfectly understand how bad it feel to see the team you love being agressed, as I am myself a Renault supporter. Last year there were some brats that invented things on Alonso and insulted team and drivers with bad spelling, etc... but I did it too with Schumacher and Todt when the former parked his car at monaco. This is the bad side of our passion.

However, things have changed and now when I read sometimes a "Renault sucks" or such things, I don't respond, and feels happy to see that none of my fellows Renault fan does. This is your right to say what you want on teams, and with such arguments you don't make yourself looks very smart.
Mc didn't came shouting "Ferrari sucks, Jean Todt cheats, etc..." He came sharing with us an article which is raising questions about the fairness of the 2007 championship. No wonder he's worried when you look at the past. No wonder Ferrari fans dislike it, as once again, Ferrari is in a position which seems unfair right from the beginning.

manchild
manchild

As vyselegend said I've only asked if anyone read that article to check if it exists at all.

If you find that to be BS and paranoid stuff than blame Marc Surer and "MOTORSPORT aktuell" because they wrote it, not me.

http://www.motorsport-aktuell.de/
....the leading German language motor sport journal offers profound information that can't be found on television, radio or in the daily newspapers.
http://www.mpi.de/sixcms/detail.php?id=7128

I guess you'd say that they're just bunch of Schuey haters writing lies. :roll:

pRo

allan wrote:here we start again...the usual bs.. i knew it :wink:
vyselegend wrote:It has become extremely annoying that no one can say anything on the red team since this forum welcomed some die hard shumi fans last year.
My thoughts exactly. Since when has it been forbidden to talk about suspicious things? If it always seems to point the same way, there must be a reason for that too. However, it doesn't always point that way. Remember the claim just a few days ago that BMW was using illegal flexi wings in testing? How come no one said that's just the usual bs?

allan, if you know, or think that this is just bs, I'm sure you can write better comments than "this is bs". Why don't you share your views with the matter with us, if you have anything other than "I like Ferrari, everything against them is bs". Use your vocabulary. We're here to discuss matters. That's the reason discussion boards exist in the first place. There's no use to argue, if you have nothing to argue with.

Or the other way around. If you find an article about possible cheat or suspicios act from other team, please do share it with us. I'm sure we're all interested to hear if Renault is secretly running a mass damper or if McLaren is using banned materials in their engines, or whatever. Then we can discuss those matters and see what we think about it.

Everything isn't black and white.

Sorry about the rant. I'll go back to my corner now.
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you