is f1 is crown jewel of motorsports?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
jaslfc
jaslfc

is f1 is crown jewel of motorsports?

i have not been around the forums lately and i hope i am not repeating an earlier post but we do have to think is f1 still on top.
Dont get me wrong. i love f1 the most but my argument :
1)no longer the most powerful engines= cart is more powerful
2)not the fasterst motorsport
3) now for next year with standardise ecu.. engine freeze..
4)fia governing the sport so much there is not much more innovation
your thoughts pls?

Sawtooth-spike

It has the Best Drivers,

I think it is still view by the most people.

and it is the hightest tech
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

joseff

Sawtooth-spike wrote:and it is the hightest tech
Materials, yes. Electronics, well... yes I guess if you count the design supercomputers plus simulation software. But in engine tech like direct injection, emissions control, efficiency, energy recovery, etc etc... sadly not anymore. Even the ECUs are road-derived as mentioned on the other thread.

Tp
Tp

I think if it wasn't, there wouldn't be any big name manufactures like there are, investing so much into it.

West
West

I'd say it's still the "pinnacle" of motorsports because teams still spend nine figures on just two cars - it's not a spec series. The aero work they do on the cars is leagues above almost every other motorsport. And to a certain degree, the best drivers occupy the series. As for the "best" series... well it doesn't help when there are only one or two teams that are competitive and the rest are there "just because."

I love Le Mans more.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

jddh1

I love the F1 circuit, perhaps mostly because of the flare and everything that goes into it. But I think that WRC is the one that gives engineers/drivers the biggest challenges.

3KGT
3KGT

Even if the series is not what it used to be during the days of active suspension and 1000hp, it is still the only series that has top makes like Merc, BMW, Ferrari, Honda, ect. F1 also has the best venues and the top drivers. The atmosphere at a Formula One GP is still unmatched by any other race series, the only other sporting event that comes close to a GP, as far as atmosphere, is a World Cup match in my opinion.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Are the cars quicker? Naw, a Top Fuel dragster puts that to shame. Same with top end speed. Additionally, most NASCAR events average a much higher speed than F1. In cornering I believe that a full bodied car like a LMP most likely gets through the corners quicker. Braking? I do give that to F1.
But they do spend the most for the least increase in performance... is that a good thing or bad? So the investment for the competitors is extremely steep, and to be the best car/team on the grid takes literally billions of Euros or dollars, or whatever.
As far as being the most technically sophisticated, that's true because of the money spent. But there's almost no obvious innovation, and there are now dozens of regulations limiting the use of materials. And it could be argued that a car like the LeMans winning Audis have better technology. And what good is technology if it isn't applied in a more constructive manner? Spend hundreds of wind tunnel hours pursuing a front endplate design for an added 1% in performance, versus some of the neat innovations we now see in regular road cars?
And really, if you want to see a LOT more technology, just look up in the sky at the next jet airliner. It has tons more, by far.
F1 is truly global on scope, and that's reflected in the TV coverage. And with it's glorious history, that's what starts to set it apart. The circus, the lights, noise, pit babes, drama, and personalities is what makes me an avid F1 fan.

ds.raikkonen

F1 rocks!

Cmon...F1 packs the greatest excitement among all others...i like WRC too but its like watching the qualifyinf in F1...drivers only put faster laps..while driving one at a time...that becomes weary by day 3 in any rally...whereas F1 has the build up in the practices, qualifying(which is as good as the race) and race...it just has many things to look forward for..every race is different...the drivers and circuits are the best..in terms of overtaking MotoGP is no.1 but the cornering speeds are pathetic,obviously bcoz of only 2 contact patches rather than 4..it has been said that WRC requires more driver involvement and thus talent(i think Rossi said that)...but F1 rocks
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

Ciro Pabón

The crown jewel of motorsports? :lol:

Karting.

This is where the future is. Sports are games, games for children. Is football a profession? NO. It's a game. Once adults take on top of that, all the joy is spoiled. Once you say "Let's go to work", instead of "Let's go to play", all the fun is taken away.

So, Top Fuel (yes, Dave has a point!), F1, WRC, MotoGP, NASCAR are just a bunch of kids whose toys have become expensive as they have grown. A diamond shines more when it has not been cut into a fancy and rigid form by a diamond cutter.

:wink:
Ciro

ds.raikkonen

And how about F1 being a jumped up version of Karting?
and F1 a game?nothing ,,which packs around 16000+bhp total can be called a game...!! its called Motorsport..not motorgames..! and this sport is played by pro drivers...not grown up children..
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

Jagboy
Jagboy

F1 is definitely the crown jewel, but it is far from perfect. The cars are astounding and they are driven so close to the limits that, if for no other reason, F1 commands respect. Would I like to see loosened up regs? Sure. Would I rather work for an F1 team or a less strict series? Probably the less strict. It would be hard to pass up the glamour, money, and reputation of F1, though. A bit more room for innovation and a bit less politics and I think F1 would be the crown jewel of sports, period.

JB

manchild
manchild

It was crown jewel from 1950 to mid 90s. It still is but there's a lot of rust and parasites that needs to be removed in order to make crown jewel shine in all its glory.

Current WRC and Moto GP are much more consistent when it matters their link with history and by all means both WRC and Moto GP crews/drivers are much more respect worthy than contemporary F1 drivers.

F1 is in a coma for years since Doctor MoSSley started operating without having one day of medical school. We can only pray that patient will survive although chart shows no improvement of patients condition. It should be transfered from FIA hospital before it is too late.

Ciro Pabón

ds.raikkonen wrote:And how about F1 being a jumped up version of Karting?
and F1 a game?nothing ,,which packs around 16000+bhp total can be called a game...!! its called Motorsport..not motorgames..! and this sport is played by pro drivers...not grown up children..
Professions are occupations that produce something for humankind, if you allow me to say so.

That's the attitude I'm talking about: if it's a profession, what do they produce? Entertainement? Then you make clowns of them, pilots. C'mon, ds.raikkonen, it is not possible to take life (and my posts!) with a grain of salt, man? ;)

Any driver, any person, who is not a children at heart takes things so seriously that becomes a danger for everybody on the track or the field and normally is also a danger for the sport. He takes the attitude of "anything goes". From that kind of "professionals" comes the "Sammy Sosa" way. If you believe a sport is a game, then real sport professionals sprout: people that believes you can be a gentleman, even when competing, and that really believe winning is not all.

F1 can be justified, from my point of view, only if it relies in karting, heavily. Which is the division of motorsport that has produced the best pilots?

Besides, I insist, (this is a joke, for heaven's sake!) "the difference between children and grown ups is the price of toys".

The attitude of "we are the champions", we are the pinnacle, we are the mother of Superman, we are the "crown jewel of motorsports" takes all the fun away from the sport. It makes you sooooo respectful of drivers and machines that "cringe" fans into submission: they all stare at their TVs, instead of taking the gloves, the helmet, a few dollars and heading for the nearest racetrack. This is what can really "dry up" the pool of drivers.

So, have fun! Go to a track! Try a kart! Stop being so respectful! F1 is "just" a motorsport. Are you so old? I'm not and I'm 47. F1 it's not going to live forever, like the chariot races eventually will have and end: on the other hand, games, of which racing is one part, will be there forever.
Ciro

ds.raikkonen

everyone has his/her own views